new sigmonster 120-300 OS

richyrichy Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited September 28, 2010 in Accessories
x

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited September 24, 2010
    The Sigma 120-300mm, f2.8 HSM was always an interesting lens. Image quality is very nice and just about on par with Canon "L", if you got a good one. Focus speed was never as good as the Canon EF 300mm, f2.8L IS USM or Nikkor 300mm, f2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR.

If you need the AF speed, unless Sigma has made some major improvements, the Canon 300mm, f2.8 IS USM is just about impossible to beat in Canon mount.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2010
    richy wrote: »

Then to make some of the money back i can run a sweepstake on how many days before all the coating has flaked off.

!

Haha, I forgot how all my sigmas did that too!
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2010
    Sigma is going with a new finish too. It looks more like the nikon finish now.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    richy wrote: »
    Easy to do :) they end up totally bald in about a week, you forget they ever had a coating.

15 April 2007 (after I had it for two years, bought 2nd hand)
    145457282_A8QYA-M.jpg

9 Jan 2010 (now nearly 5 years, since I bought it)
    764295092_wxEVS-M.jpg

This is a lens that usually lies on the seat next to me, with no protection, when I'm in the bush. And I really do mean bush, where roads are 4x4 specials. Doesn't look too bald to me??

Some more?
    My most used lens, the Sigma 24-135 on the left, and the Sigma 10-20 on the right (both about 3 years old when the pic was taken). No special care taken with them either.
    461905672_EZpzp-M.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    I have an APO 70-210f2.8......yes a 70-210 from sigma and yes the CLEAR coat is coming off.....that is one old lens.
    Still works like a champ but then I do send my lenses off to be serviced every couple of years....so yes some of the
    very old PRE--EX series will flake the clear coating off the lens.........I doubt that any lens made in the past 10 yrs will ever flake,
    as the finish is definitely different than my oldest lens......even my 28-200 has a different finish than my 70-210 and the 28-0200
    does not show any signs of flakiness :~}}
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    My Sigmas are no flake lenses 17-70mm and 170-500mm. Solid equipment
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    My Sigmas are no flake lenses 17-70mm and 170-500mm. Solid equipment

These are newly released lenses.....the ones that flake are the older ones like my 70-210f2.8 APO..... mwink.gifwinkbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow but the flaking has not hurt my photo quality one dang bit...nor has it make the lens not shed water any less...it still sheds water like the back of a duck................rolleyes1.gifrofl
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    I got the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 in 2005 and that was an especially bad batch as far as peeling was concerned. The whole rear few sections and most of the tripod mount have all been peeled bald. Admittedly I did some of it myself, mostly just because the flaking looked so bad I figured it would look better 100% bald. Kinda like how Bruce Willis doesn't bother with a comb-over, ya know?

But, to stay on topic, I'd certainly buy the Sigma 120-300 before a 300 prime. I find that at telephoto ranges where "zooming with your feet" is just not possible, having a zoom lens gives you so many more options with composition. However I'm not that heavy of a sports shooter, just occasionally. I do love air shows, though. Again, a GREAT place for a zoom, not so great for a prime...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum