Camera raw??

AmbrolaAmbrola Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
edited September 25, 2010 in Holy Macro
I have never shoot in RAW (NEF) before. How does these look. Be honest, I can take it!

Bees_0030.jpg

[URL="[IMG]http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq305/ambrola/Bees_0035.jpg[/IMG]"]Bees_0035.jpg[/URL]

Comments

• basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    looks fine
    but , the advantage of RAW is , that you can , and should edit then , so they look great
  • AmbrolaAmbrola Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    basflt wrote: »
    looks fine
    but , the advantage of RAW is , that you can , and should edit then , so they look great
    I did edit them. But I don't realy know what I'm doing.
    Ambrola wrote: »
    I did edit them. But I don't realy know what I'm doing.
    that understandable , you need to learn that too ,
    but it does help
    editing is a part of digital photography

but your pics are OK
    seems to me you also got flash working correctly
    that understandable , you need to learn that too ,
    but it does help
    editing is a part of digital photography

but your pics are OK
    seems to me you also got flash working correctly
    Yea, I think so thanks to you for your help. The main problem I was haveing was Apeture, which you helped me with. I was always told 8 to 11 on Apeture but what a difference it makes.
    Yea, I think so thanks to you for your help. The main problem I was haveing was Apeture, which you helped me with. I was always told 8 to 11 on Apeture but what a difference it makes.
    i know
    i struggled with exactly the same when i started
    thats why i understand U
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    Photos look good- RAW gives you more control over correcting exposures and white balance. I always shoot RAW but do no de-noise and sharpening in RAW - I leave that to PS. If you do your RAW conversions well the amount of work you do after should be minimal.
    RE the apertures. Nikon apertures are a bit confusing as they work on apparent aperture rather than relative apertures most other cameras report so if I set F11 on my canon when shooting at 1:1 - this is a relative aperture but is actually equivalent to an apparent aperture of F22 on a Nikon at 1:1 magnification. Hope that makes sense
    BTW apparent aperture = (1+M)* relative aperture in general where M is the magnification.

Brian V.
    Photos look good- RAW gives you more control over correcting exposures and white balance. I always shoot RAW but do no de-noise and sharpening in RAW - I leave that to PS. If you do your RAW conversions well the amount of work you do after should be minimal.
    RE the apertures. Nikon apertures are a bit confusing as they work on apparent aperture rather than relative apertures most other cameras report so if I set F11 on my canon when shooting at 1:1 - this is a relative aperture but is actually equivalent to an apparent aperture of F22 on a Nikon at 1:1 magnification. Hope that makes sense
    BTW apparent aperture = (1+M)* relative aperture in general where M is the magnification.

Brian V.
    makes sense to me , thanks for info

but , is it useful ?
    i mean , every setup is different [ camera + lens ]
    also light and subject has a role
    so , one cannot say ; this aperture is best or that shutter-speed
    its determined on the spot , there are no strict rules , one can vary / experiment
    or , am i wrong ? , tell us
    Makes sence to me. For example, I was just now shooting water drops at a shutter speed of 1/2000. I then dropped it to 1/250 and the drops looked better. Y0u would think that the water would need a high shutter speed to freeze motion, but now I know that flash is king?
    i know
    i struggled with exactly the same when i started
    thats why i understand U
    You understand me because I have a 58 Pan Head that I've owned for 35 years 100% original.
    You understand me because I have a 58 Pan Head that I've owned for 35 years 100% original.
    you kidding me ?
    those are beautiful where are your pics ?
    i been riding HD 25 years [ but you know , or you would not say that ]
    all i had was shovels & evo's
    you kidding me ?
    those are beautiful where are your pics ?
    i been riding HD 25 years [ but you know , or you would not say that ]
    all i had was shovels & evo's
    I will send you some. I bought it from an old man when I was 19 years old. It even has the original tool kit. Eveybody that sees it wants to buy it, so I don't get it out much anymore. Looks like an old Police bike.
    I will send you some. I bought it from an old man when I was 19 years old. It even has the original tool kit. Eveybody that sees it wants to buy it, so I don't get it out much anymore. Looks like an old Police bike.
    no need to send to me
    there enough places here on DGrin -forum you can post

here mine [ old pic's from before i started photographing ]

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1392550&postcount=15
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    since no one noticed, the white ballance looks too warm in #1
    the yellows look more orange and there is an overall brown cast to the image. unless the wasp was this colour :D
    what program are you using to convert raw files?
    you can alter wb in raw without causing any image degration.

second shot looks pale and flat to me, needs highlights increasing
    when you view histogram when converting and make sure both ends of the graph just touch the ends.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    With regards to apertures there is no correct aperture - you should shoot at what gives you the results you want but often newbies ask for some guides and F11 relative aperture does give a good balance of sharpness and DOF at 1:1 as commented before though this translates as F22 on a nikon body.
    WRT shutter speed if you are shooting flash as the major light source then shutter speed becomes slightly irrelevant as it's the flash duration that supplies the motion freezing. It's much more relevant for natural light shooting where if you are handholding you need to maintain higher shuteer speeds than the normal focal length guideline because the magnification also comes into play so on a 1.6 crop camera using a 100mm macro at 1:1 you need to be shooting around 1/320th handheld.

Brian v.
    thanks , but nikons are limited to 1/200 , when using flash
    I am using Adobe Bridge in PS. I am just now starting to play around with it. I can see what you are talking about in the photos Phil. You should have seen some of the others, real fuzzy. I don't know what I did?

I just captured a Black Widow Spider and don't know how to photograph it, I'm scared of it. It was under my well cover when I raised it. I do not like these kind of spiders, they are more dangerous that a Rattlesnake. Any suggestions??
    I am using Adobe Bridge in PS. I am just now starting to play around with it. I can see what you are talking about in the photos Phil. You should have seen some of the others, real fuzzy. I don't know what I did?

I just captured a Black Widow Spider and don't know how to photograph it, I'm scared of it. It was under my well cover when I raised it. I do not like these kind of spiders, they are more dangerous that a Rattlesnake. Any suggestions??
    take some pic's , then kill it ne_nau.gif
    put it one your hand to shoot rolleyes1.gif

seriously, a small black deadly spider is not going to be an easy subject:D

try placing it on a piece of card under a glass, when it rests and stops moving remove the glass and shoot quickly, it works for Brian mwink.gif
    remember to use + fec to compensate for dark subject.
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    put it one your hand to shoot rolleyes1.gif

seriously, a small black deadly spider is not going to be an easy subject:D

try placing it on a piece of card under a glass, when it rests and stops moving remove the glass and shoot quickly, it works for Brian mwink.gif
    remember to use + fec to compensate for dark subject.
    when you say +fec, you mean + exposure compensation???
    when you say +fec, you mean + exposure compensation???
    no , flash compensation

edit
    exposure compensation contols light generaly =/-
    flash compensation sends more light to background [-] or subject [+]
    try it
    yes,
    your camera should have it in the menu "flash exposure compensation" , it is very usefull to use,to quickly alter flash output. i alter it constantly to compensate for each subjects lighting
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    yes,
    your camera should have it in the menu "flash exposure compensation" , it is very usefull to use,to quickly alter flash output. i alter it constantly to compensate for each subjects lighting
    On Nikon, Its the little button on the right that has +/- and a green dot beside it right?
    On Nikon, Its the little button on the right that has +/- and a green dot beside it right?
    thats exporure compensation

dont know about D80 but
    on my D90 i can use the button on left side + second dialer
    otherwise its in menu [ using magnifier button , in my D60 ]
    edited September 25, 2010
    thats exporure compensation

dont know about D80 but
    on my D90 i can use the button on left side + second dialer
    otherwise its in menu [ using magnifier button , in my D60 ]
    The button on the left side raises the cameras flash? But you can stil adjust the flash if you hold it and use the secondary dial??
    edited September 25, 2010
    yes , it has a flash-icon with +/_
    exposure compensation has only +/_

when adjusted other then zero ,they also appear in viewfinder