Homecoming Dance pics

pward76pward76 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited September 27, 2010 in People
Here are a few I got from the kids in my living room "studio" before they went to the dance.

Nikon SB900 in an umbrella high camera left at 45 degree angle. Nikon SB600 camera right and flagged to light just the background which is a 9 foot wide roll of white paper on stands

Any and all comments appreciated.

1)
1014047260_j95iK-M.jpg

2) This was a prep shot and they were too close to the background, but I really like it for the content.
1014047966_Y9NXi-M.jpg

3)
1014068933_UvKYr-M.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    how big was the umbrella and how far away was it? The light seems rather harsh still. Look at the huge shadow in 3 on the boys shirt.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • pward76pward76 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    Qarik wrote: »
    how big was the umbrella and how far away was it? The light seems rather harsh still. Look at the huge shadow in 3 on the boys shirt.

45 inch umbrella - 4 to 6 feet away. Too far? Or should I have turned the power down on the flash?

Or have him wear a black shirt ;-)
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    4-6 feet away is too far. It should be as CLOSE as you can get it..just outside the camera view. In you case it looks like 18-24 inches would be okay. This will soften the light quite a bit.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    Aside from the lighting issues that Daniel pointed out I find the crop decisions a bit odd on #1 ans #3.
    On #1, I would have cropped the bottom half out since the crop om her hand is bothersome, bring it in closer by cropping the bottom portion out. On #3 I don't like the amount of space above his head, too little...
    Plus I'm not sure landscape orientation is the best choice for this one.
    If #2 was just a prop shot I wont comment on the crop :-)

Just a little tweaking here and there and your on your way
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • pward76pward76 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited September 25, 2010
    Thanks guys - I'm learning lots. Anyone else?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2010
    Full frontal body position rarely works, esp. for female subjects. I know the time before dance can be a bit short (I have a couple of daughters:-), but it doesn't mean you have to opt for the ever-boring "stand over there, face the camera, say chees" pose. ne_nau.gif
    Google/bing "the proposal movie posters" to see how a simple body rotation makes the basically same scene way more interesting. deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    4-6 feet away is too far. It should be as CLOSE as you can get it..just outside the camera view. In you case it looks like 18-24 inches would be okay. This will soften the light quite a bit.

Gotta say - YES. The larger the light source appears to the subject (which usually means that closer it is to the subject) the less harsh will be the transitions from light to shadow (and vice versa :D).
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Full frontal body position rarely works, esp. for female subjects. I know the time before dance can be a bit short (I have a couple of daughters:-), but it doesn't mean you have to opt for the ever-boring "stand over there, face the camera, say chees" pose. ne_nau.gif
    Google/bing "the proposal movie posters" to see how a simple body rotation makes the basically same scene way more interesting. deal.gif

15524779-Ti.gif - Take a close look at the young lady in the first two shots. Notice anything? Like, maybe, she's much more relaxed and alive and INTERESTING in the second shot? +1 on what Nik is saying. In addition, sometimes lowering the chin will work with a young lady - but don't bet on it too often. The image of her face in the second shot is much more flattering than in the first.

Just my $.02