I Walk The Line...

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited September 25, 2010 in Holy Macro
Darkness falls across the land, and ten o'clock approaches...

What does that mean in Preston? Nothing less than the macro nutter on his night time search for the quirky and interesting that creep, crawl, and slither, in the depths of the night...

And so what do we have this pleasant balmy autumnal hour?

Well, we have a snail. And not just any snail, but one that is an acrobat.

This is a bit of a weed, one of the dead flower heads of a dock leaf plant, from outside the house, carefully snipped with a pair of secateurs and carried very, very, and incredibly slowly into the garden and then propped up in the hole of a clothes peg (they are very useful for macro are clothes pegs!) and using the wooden garden bench as a table. That meant the tripod was not extended apart from the main section of the legs being spread, this giving the most stable platform for the camera.

The light is purely from the security light on the side of the house, and seeing as it was almost ten o'clock and the light being just a light, that meant a high ISO was required to get a shutter speed quick enough to stop the motion of the snail (and yes, I know they are slow, but they can be quicker than slow shutter speeds!). Even so, the DoF required to keep shutter speeds as they were meant that the snail's eye, sadly, is just outside the reach of the focal plane, but I don't think that matters quite so much, considering what was going on! I was focusing on the curl of the shell, and the fact that the snail awoke and poked it's head out the back was incidental.

The 550D's ISO capabilities are to the fore, as there is a touch of sharpening applied, but no noise reduction used to counteract it.

I actually think that the limited palette helps this image and contributes to it's "night time" story, and I also quite like it as an image in itself, because it is sufficiently different and, hopefully, interesting.

C&C as always appreciated.

Exif:

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 550D
Lens: 105mm
Image Date: 2010-09-24 21:51:32 +0000
Focal Length: 105mm
Aperture: f/8.0
Exposure Time: 0.250 s (1/4)
ISO equiv: 800
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix