24-70 IS or VR

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited September 24, 2010 in Cameras
for those that want it..I don't really get the point. It seems to have a very limited application. The subject has be relatively static for the lens to have value..like landscape, but then you are shooting a tripod and your not shooting with this lens anyway.

With wrt to event photography if you venture much slower then 1/50 sec you are risking subject motion blur anyway. I don't really shoot lower then 1/80-1/100s when shooting folks unless I am going for some dance blur for example. And most of the time I am rocking the flash. Finally good technique can buy you a stop as well.

So what will 3-4 stops of shutter speed buy you on that lens? I suppose the one application would be a ceremony shot if you can get that close in dark church with no flash.
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    I use IS on my 9-18 all the time, sometimes you don't have a tripod with you and it gives you those extra few f stops to bring out the detail.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    Well, couple days ago, I was shooting doll 'portraits'. They were propped on a bed. Pretty steady subjects. I had the 35mm f1.4L, and the 100mm f2.8L IS Macro. Light was indoors ambient daylight, and I wanted some dof, so slower shutter. I was operating the 35mm very close to its minimum focus distance, and moving the camera through angles which would have made the use of a tripod prohibitive, and the lens gave me superlative quality - when I was able to hold it rock still. Sometimes I reshot an image 4 or 5 times before the sharpness was tack sharp. When I used the 100mm with IS, I could achieve a sharp image much more easily - for several reasons, I know - but one of them was that handshake was not a major issue.

Elsewhere, I have described how essential IS is on telephoto in a safari situation. Altogether, IS/VR is a major tool for working quickly where high Tv and flash and tripod are not options, or the lens is being used very close in, or the lens is an effort to hold.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    NeilL wrote: »
    Well, couple days ago, I was shooting doll 'portraits'. They were propped on a bed. Pretty steady subjects. I had the 35mm f1.4L, and the 100mm f2.8L IS Macro. Light was indoors ambient daylight, and I wanted some dof, so slower shutter. I was operating the 35mm very close to its minimum focus distance, and moving the camera through angles which would have made the use of a tripod prohibitive, and the lens gave me superlative quality - when I was able to hold it rock still. Sometimes I reshot an image 4 or 5 times before the sharpness was tack sharp. When I used the 100mm with IS, I could achieve a sharp image much more easily - for several reasons, I know - but one of them was that handshake was not a major issue.

Elsewhere, I have described how essential IS is on telephoto in a safari situation. Altogether, IS/VR is a major tool for working quickly where high Tv and flash and tripod are not options, or the lens is being used very close in, or the lens is an effort to hold.

Neil

at 100mm..I can understand IS.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    I haven't missed it on mine, and I have the same D700/24-70 combo you have. Heck, if I'm worried about camera shake, I just grabs me some ISO mwink.gif. Believe me, at my age, camera shake is just something you come to expect and learn to deal with.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    Qarik wrote: »
    at 100mm..I can understand IS.

My suggestion is to go on an Olympus, Sony, or Pentax forum and ask and you will get a lot of testimony beyond mine about the benefits.