Options

Nikon Grumble

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited September 28, 2010 in Finishing School
Every time I make a new "discovery" regarding Nikon software, it's something else to piss me off. My latest find is that Nikon View NX will not show your focus point if you convert your NEF files to DNG. Oh, wait . . . it won't show your DNG file AT ALL and won't show the focus point on tiffs produced from DNGs. Nikon, you make great cameras, but your software marketing people SUCK.

"Oh, you bought our latest and greatest D700? Oh thank you very much, but now your Capture NX (that you bought after Capture wouldn't work with your D300) won't work with your new camera." "What's that you say? You want us to just let you download a software update so it will?? Oh, no. You'll need to BUY our new Capture NX2. Upgrade price? No, no, no, you have to pay full price." You should be ashamed.
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    why you use Capture in the first place ?
    its a piece of crap
    even most freeware app's are better
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    Every time I make a new "discovery" regarding Nikon software, it's something else to piss me off. My latest find is that Nikon View NX will not show your focus point if you convert your NEF files to DNG. Oh, wait . . . it won't show your DNG file AT ALL and won't show the focus point on tiffs produced from DNGs. Nikon, you make great cameras, but your software marketing people SUCK.

"Oh, you bought our latest and greatest D700? Oh thank you very much, but now your Capture NX (that you bought after Capture wouldn't work with your D300) won't work with your new camera." "What's that you say? You want us to just let you download a software update so it will?? Oh, no. You'll need to BUY our new Capture NX2. Upgrade price? No, no, no, you have to pay full price." You should be ashamed.

I'm really impressed that you are still making discoveries in Nikon's software advancements. Somewhere along the line you musta found something you liked. I never did.

And now owning both Canon and Nikon eq. I can say all the hoopla about Canon's included software is well placed!
    tom wise
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited September 25, 2010
    Canon really has software that comes with the camera??

:hide
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Canon really has software that comes with the camera??

yep, its about as crappy as the Nikon software! If you have photoshop or lightroom, then there isnt much need for it, or reason to use it.
    You can do most basic edits to your photos with the software, but it is more like getting you started software if your new to a slr or photography, and dont yet have anything better
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    racer wrote: »
    yep, its about as crappy as the Nikon software! If you have photoshop or lightroom, then there isnt much need for it, or reason to use it.
    You can do most basic edits to your photos with the software, but it is more like getting you started software if your new to a slr or photography, and dont yet have anything better

You didn't mention tethered shooting...and with so many folks not really knowin how to or what to adjust in RAW files much less what software to then purchase, I think adding that kind of software in the box is awesome!
    tom wise
  • Options
    Oh, yeah! Tethered shooting. Of course I have LR3, but the tethered shooting in LR3 is very basic. Nikon's Camera Control Pro is vastly superior, allowing you to adjust exposure settings etc, from the laptop. You have to get your interface right, whether your new image ends up in LR or one of Nikons programs (I use LR) but Camera Control Pro really is a decent program. Trouble is, they don't always allow you to upgrade the version you have when they come out with a new camera. You must buy the new version. Same story as with Capture.

You'd think they could throw it in with the higher end bodies. Heck, Leica includes a license for LR with their serious cameras, and lots of companies throw in PSE. Nikon's greedy.
    John :
  • Options
    agreed
    they should give it free , with purchase of camera
    giving trial-versions is fake , sort of like advertising
  • Options
    Oh, yeah! Tethered shooting. Of course I have LR3, but the tethered shooting in LR3 is very basic. Nikon's Camera Control Pro is vastly superior, allowing you to adjust exposure settings etc, from the laptop. You have to get your interface right, whether your new image ends up in LR or one of Nikons programs (I use LR) but Camera Control Pro really is a decent program. Trouble is, they don't always allow you to upgrade the version you have when they come out with a new camera. You must buy the new version. Same story as with Capture.

You'd think they could throw it in with the higher end bodies. Heck, Leica includes a license for LR with their serious cameras, and lots of companies throw in PSE. Nikon's greedy.

Yeah...and what I intended by my commentary on the Canon piece is....

It comes with tethered Shooting Software!

I have Nikon cam control pro...no worky on 64 bit machines! And I'll be damned if I'll buy it again!
    tom wise
  • Options
    angevin1 wrote: »

I have Nikon cam control pro...no worky on 64 bit machines! And I'll be damned if I'll buy it again!

oops , works fine on windows7 64bit
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins

Capture One 5 Pro..

I am a long time user of NX2, View NX... I switched and I am very happy.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    John,

You have LR3, and CS5. What are you looking for or expecting in the Nikon software that you don't have in these two programs?

Sam
  • Options
    Couple things, Sam.

1: focus point visibility (no big thing)
    2: ability to control the camera from the laptop, not just fire the shutter (big thing)
    John :
  • Options
    basflt wrote: »
    oops , works fine on windows7 64bit

My bad!! It won't work with my D700.
    tom wise
  • Options
    angevin1 wrote: »
    My bad!! It won't work with my D700.

Actually ( and thanks to basfit) I got CCPro2 working with both my D700 And my Computer.

All it took was a search, and a back-date from Nikon-Eu. Nice~
    tom wise
  • Options
    malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2010
    Couple things, Sam.

1: focus point visibility (no big thing)

True, there are other solutions. The freeware EXIF viewer PhotoME will display this info.

It is even possible to show the Nikon (and maybe Canon) focus points in CS4/5. It takes some work but I have prototyped a script to do it so I do know it's possible.
  • Options
    malch wrote: »
    True, there are other solutions. The freeware EXIF viewer PhotoME will display this info.

Thanks for the tip on PhotoMe. I've been using Opanda IExif for a while and like it. PhotoMe seems a bit "feature-richer."

Neither will show the focus point on a DNG or a TIFF or JPG created from a DNG. Once you convert the NEF to DNG, the focus point is gone. This is a minor irritant at worst. I still will continue to convert everything to DNG on import. And no, I don't keep the NEF file somewhere else. Some things can be taken to extremes.
    John :
  • Options
    malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    Thanks for the tip on PhotoMe. I've been using Opanda IExif for a while and like it. PhotoMe seems a bit "feature-richer."

Neither will show the focus point on a DNG or a TIFF or JPG created from a DNG.

PhotoME is great, IMO. Be sure to check out the "Find filter"; it makes finding a specific item a snap.

I'm not sure what's going on with the focus point meta data and Adobe/DNG. PhotoME displays the focus point on JPEG's converted with Capture NX (not with CS4/5). I guess should look into that at some point.

However, these is a fundamental issue with the focus point data once the original camera image has been touched by other software. Many/most programs implement auto-rotation based on the EXIF Orientation data. Once the image has been rotated, they generally reset the orientation data so that the image doesn't get rotated again and again. Once the orientation data has been cleared, it's not possible to unambiguously interpret the focus point data :-( Think about a portrait shot taken using one of the focus points at the top of the frame (nearest the popup flash). Is that on the left or right of the rotated image? There's no way to tell from the EXIF. You might be able to make a good guess based on the photographer's habits, but that's about it!
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    I'm still using my D70s and transferring to the computer & converting raws with Nikon View / Capture because I was under the impression that was/is the only software that could read Nikon's white balance as well as other custom settings... Is this correct? Granted it's been a long time since I've researched this but I'm looking to upgrade and seeing this thread reminds me of this issue.

Thanks,
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    Cindy wrote: »
    I'm still using my D70s and transferring to the computer & converting raws with Nikon View / Capture because I was under the impression that was/is the only software that could read Nikon's white balance as well as other custom settings... Is this correct? Granted it's been a long time since I've researched this but I'm looking to upgrade and seeing this thread reminds me of this issue.

Thanks,

Yes, and no. Not sure about the other custom settings, unless you mean D-lighting and so forth, which your D70s doesn't have and LR cannot do.

LR3 is a terrific upgrade for you and your camera. You can get a trial version by signing-up at the Adobe Website. trial it and decide! Basically you could shoot an entire CF card with WB off and change said WB for the entire group with one click once selected. And of course it does individual shots just as easily. WB is only the beginning though, it will allow you to get very creative with tones, colors, light and lighting, adding shadow and light where-ever you'd like it.

Also if you like it, you might want to keep an eye on SmugMug Pro's FB page. They gave away three copies just two weeks ago.
    tom wise
  • Options
    Cindy, if I were you, I'd buy LR3 before I spent any money upgrading Nikon software. Unless you really need Camera Control Pro 2 (or 3) so you can control your camera from your laptop, and you didn't mention that anyway. You will wonder how you ever got along without LR.
    John :
  • Options
    Cindy, if I were you, I'd buy LR3 before I spent any money upgrading Nikon software. Unless you really need Camera Control Pro 2 (or 3) so you can control your camera from your laptop, and you didn't mention that anyway. You will wonder how you ever got along without LR.

Camera Control has nothing to do with View / Capture
    they can work independently from each other

Nikon Camera Control is good
    Nikon View / Capture is lousy
  • Options
    basflt wrote: »
    Camera Control has nothing to do with View / Capture
    they can work independently from each other

Nikon Camera Control is good
    Nikon View / Capture is lousy

Of course. I agree, CC Pro2 is a nice program. But one of CC's options is to open a captured image directly in View, so they DO have some interface, which could be useful if someone did not have LR.

The intent of my last post post was to compare LR3's Tethered Capture feature with CameraControl.

The intent of the thread was to bitch about Nikon's approach to software in general. I think I've had to buy Camera Control, Camera Control Pro, and now Camera Control Pro 2, just so my newer cameras will work with the program. That pisses me off. Nikon is prolly laughing 'cause they suckered me into buying the same program three times. Pure profit.
    John :
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    I meant I was gonna upgrade the camera and wasn't sure If i'd need Nikons new software to read the raw files in all their glory... :-)
    But yes I'm certainly upgrading software to. LR3 will most likely win thumb.gif
    Thanks Tom and everyone for the advice.
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!