Flashmob! Has anyone seen this before?

Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
edited October 1, 2010 in Holy Macro
This poor bug landed on the deck railing, struggling and writhing to get these mites off. At least I think they're mites. I tried to help, but they didn't budge. I think it's some kind of leaf cutter type beetle (about an inch long), but it was hard to tell. It flew off eventually, but I think it was doomed. Shot with the OM 90mm f2 macro. Because the besieged critter didn't stop moving, it was really hard to photograph and I had to keep the lens basically wide open to focus at all, thus the really shallow DOF.

5025484511_4154001be4_b.jpg

Comments

• Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2010
    Incredible ! These are parasites aren't they ? headscratch.gif

Show this to Lord Vetinari. He may know something about this. :D
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    Good capture- It has got rather a lot of passengers !
    Supposedly these are phoretic mites meaning they are just using the beetle as public transport rather than directly parasitising the beetle but an overload like this might kill the beetle by preventing normal feeding activity or even perhaps blocking it's air breathing holes.

Brian V.
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    Good info, thanks. I rather hope they weren't killing it. It was quite distressed, but managed to get the carapace open and the wings moving so maybe it could still function. Bad about the breathing holes...I forget the proper term for them, something-icles? Anyway, I hope it lived.
  • jaxjax Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    Trachea is the word you are searching for I think.:-)

Cool image!
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    jax wrote: »
    Trachea is the word you are searching for I think.:-)

Cool image!

Nope, that's inside. "Spiracles" are the breathing holes of the bug.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
    Ah, thanks, hgernhardtjr, I knew I was on the right track. Spiracles indeed.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited September 28, 2010
    never seen that many on a bug before!

you could have wiped them offf:D
    edited September 28, 2010
    I actually did try, Phil, but to no avail. :(
    edited October 1, 2010
    Update -
    thanks to a contact on flickr who posted an informational link about what's happening in the photo, I now know this is a beneficial parasitic relationship.

It seems that carrion beetles (that's what it is under there) are slow fliers and often show up to corpses late to dinner. By then all manner of fly species have already been there, done that and laid their eggs. The eggs may have already hatched, too, and maggots are something carrion flies don't deal with well at all. Enter the secret weapon - the mites. They scurry off the beetle and onto the corpse and eat fly eggs and larva, thus clearing the way for the carrion beetle to dine. Absolutely fascinating. I've seen nude carrion beetles before, but never one with mites. I leaned something and I love that. Thought I'd share.