My Jurassic Park adventure (sort of...)

reese.leblancreese.leblanc Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited September 29, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I was playing around with the off camera flash with my new D80 this evening when I had a surprise visitor. There was a skirmish, but I managed to overcome. :)

1023898841_ueuwz-M.jpg
1023899758_FvoWz-M.jpg
1023899479_Hy53P-M.jpg
1023872724_aN3Dj-M.jpg

Took him out without even looking. :)
1023873129_vRb5L-M.jpg
1023899250_B333B-M.jpg

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    Reese,

Glad you're Ok. That thing looked pretty nasty.

Getting that flash off the camera is the way to go thumb.gif

The hard light and stark shadows really create a sense of tension.

I'd like to see this same set of shots with a slightly different setup:
    • camera shooting along (or parallel to) the wall
    • flash shooting at a right angle to the wall
    • you standing in the same spot, just turned to face the new camera position

You'll still get the hard light tension but the wall will bounce some of the flash back letting you keep at least some detail on the shadowed side of your face. Of course you could try having your little friend on either wall or flash side for different looks. The real cool thing is that by changing how far you and the flash are away from the wall you can control how dark or light the shadows are.

This is basically a hard light version of David Hobby's Headshot in a Corner.
  • reese.leblancreese.leblanc Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2010
    Cletus,

Yeah, it was pretty harrowing. I was lucky to get out of there unscathed. Luckily, the one picture made me look like a B-movie badass, which gave me the edge. Laughing.gif.

I really appreciate your feedback here. I'm just now getting into the off camera flash, so every idea and input is fuel for my new interest. I'll see what I can do as far as taking the shots you suggested sometime tomorrow. Right now it's bed time.

Good night, all!
  • TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    Oh my goodness.. I had one of those puppets growing up.. I do one bad ass raptor impression ;)
  • reese.leblancreese.leblanc Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    Puppet? Umm... what are you talking about? That isa REAL velociraptor! I went to the island, uhm, facility. And was attacked by this thing! Why won't you believe me?!? :)