Competition Worthy? You Help Decide...

Dancer72Dancer72 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited September 30, 2010 in People
I have been told by a few photographer friends (all full-time or part-time professionals) that I should enter this image in our upcoming local PPA affiliate print competition. I am interested in getting C&C from some other photogs before I make the decision.

Thanks for taking the time to look & hopefully comment.
Caroline

TITLE: "I'm Gonna Be Like Him"

Original PP
1024395962_U2s8Z-L.jpg

Rev 2
1029051230_ahuJQ-L.jpg
Caroline Brogen

Member: PPA, PPAM
Gallery: http://photos.brogen.com/Public-Gallery/Carolines-Gallery

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    I really love the base image, but your skin work is quite a bit too heavy. You have lost all detail in the ears... and masked out the nostrils so they really pop like giant targets for your eye. Men have a lot of texture in their faces, so any skin work on them needs to be very discrete or they start to look feminine. I would start again and use a much softer hand on your skin work. (One other nit, the boy has something behind his front tooth that makes it look jagged. Easy fix.)
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    I really love the base image, but your skin work is quite a bit too heavy. You have lost all detail in the ears... and masked out the nostrils so they really pop like giant targets for your eye. Men have a lot of texture in their faces, so any skin work on them needs to be very discrete or they start to look feminine. I would start again and use a much softer hand on your skin work. (One other nit, the boy has something behind his front tooth that makes it look jagged. Easy fix.)

+1 Excellent advice...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins

What an eye!!!!!

Good advice. That's why I ask for critiques here.

Sam
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    Raaaaaannndyyyy :D So nice to see him in front of the lens for once clap.gif Very nice photo, great moment iloveyou.gif
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    Super sweet image but my first thought has to do with the skin softening. It is indeed overdone for this type of image.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Dancer72Dancer72 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    Thank you all for the feedback...I was wondering myself about the softness of the Dad's face & neck. Some of it is dof related but some was definitely related to the treatment. I am reworking the image & will repost the modified version for comparison if you're willing to check back and see if it's any better.

Thanks again for the help!
    Caroline Brogen

I have reprocessed the image based on everyone's comments...any better or does it still need work? I appreciate any additional C&C you all might have.

Thanks!
    Caroline
    Caroline Brogen

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    What a lovely image! It should do well in the competition you're planning on entering. thumb.gif

I see a change for the positive in Rev #2 of the man and it looks great. But the boy still looks a bit overcooked with the noise reduction. To me it seems like there should be more definition in his collarbone. headscratch.gif
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    Nice image. However, the boy's skin...and left ear especially, look far too processed...almost china-doll like. And I would maybe crop to just the end of the bill on the boy's hat as well...to match dad's. Just an idea.
    Thanks Linda & Darren for the additional feedback! I'm gonna give those a try & repost, if you're willing to come back tomorrow & check it out. :D
    Caroline Brogen

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    Heading the right way, well done.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    Since we're all piling on with respect to overprocessing . . . Dad's t-shirt looks like a plastic clerical collar. It's a great image. Well worth working on.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited September 28, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    Since we're all piling on with respect to overprocessing . . . Dad's t-shirt looks like a plastic clerical collar. It's a great image. Well worth working on.

Thanks John for mentioning the collar...I hadn't noticed that before. Guess I've been looking at the image too long.
    Caroline Brogen

reyvee61 wrote: »
    Heading the right way, well done.....

Thanks for checking back reyvee61...hope to have another version posted this afternoon if you wanna check back in.
    Caroline Brogen

• RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Raaaaaannndyyyy :D So nice to see him in front of the lens for once clap.gif Very nice photo, great moment iloveyou.gif

Hey Angie! :) I really like this shot as well. Caroline did a great job seeing it because it only lasted a split second and she was able to see and capture it! It is strange seeing my mug though lol.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2010
    What does the original look like. Wondering what about this photo required so much processing. Seems meybe a nice bright exposure would have done the trick all by itself.
    edited September 30, 2010
    zoomer wrote: »
    What does the original look like. Wondering what about this photo required so much processing. Seems meybe a nice bright exposure would have done the trick all by itself.

I appreciate you commenting zoomer. This was not a planned shoot...father & son just out having fun on an overcast Sunday afternoon while scouting a location for a senior portrait session; not even one break of sun to help with natural lighting. Since the boy had a red hat against red hair and a green, yellow and white shirt on against Dad's all white shirt, I converted the original to monochrome. Dad also had redness and peeling on his nose, cheeks and forehead as a result of a golf outing a few days prior. When retouching his skin, I went heavy handed as you'll see from the comparison now posted...I needed to put texture back in his face and neck. No other adjustments were made in post.
    Caroline Brogen

edited September 30, 2010
    Completed version of rev 2 on this shot now posted. Appreciate any c&c you might have.

Thanks again for looking!
    Caroline Brogen