Options

JoeyL's photography documentary premieres tonight

chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
edited October 7, 2010 in The Big Picture
If you are familiar with JoeyL's work as an amazing global portrait photographer, and even if you're not, you may wish to catch the premiere of "Faces of a Vanishing World", which documents this 19 year-old's journeys to some amazing locations to meet and photograph their peoples.

http://www.joeyl.com/blog/faces-of-a-vanishing-world-premiering-september-27th-on-ovation-tv/

http://www.ovationtv.com/programs/1054-faces-of-a-vanishing-world

The channel is OVATION, available as follows:
DirecTV ch 274
Dish ch 157
and many cable systems.

Premieres Monday, Sept 27 at 7pm/10pm in the US

apparently this series is coming to National Geographic at some point.

note: I have zero affiliation with Joey or this program, I'm just a very jealous admirer of his photography.
-Chris D.
http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

Comments

• Options
    misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    Looks cool.. must watch.

Dayum- 19 yrs old.. he's got a good 50 years of creativity left!
  • Options
    NjordanNjordan Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    I was looking forward to watching this only to find out I don't get the channel. BOO!

Hopefully it goes to NatGeo soon though!
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2010
    Njordan wrote: »
    I was looking forward to watching this only to find out I don't get the channel. BOO!

Hopefully it goes to NatGeo soon though!

Neither do I as I get my TV OTA via an antenna!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    For those of you who missed the first airing, this program will re-air on Saturday (several times) and again on Sunday. Both days on Ovation.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    Ian, do you know what time on Saturday?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Ted, it's around 11am/DirecTV/274. I forget exactly. If you have DirecTV, just search for "VANISHING" to get the times.

DirecTV West Coast Times
    Sat 10/2 11:00 AM
    Sat 10/2 6:00 PM
    Sat 10/2 9:00 PM
    Sun 10/3 3:00 PM
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    My brain is still flying around those portraits, stunning work. Lets see when video comes to Pakistan.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    Well, I recorded and finally watched Faces of a Vanishing World. I think it's a great look at Joey L. as a photographer and as a person. But more importantly, he's made an effort to document some amazing people who, in all likely hood, will vanish in time. The program isn't so much about him as a photographer but about his trip to Africa to photograph several tribes. He returns a year later to present his exhibit to the people he photographed. To be sure, we do get hints as to his other work as well but the Africa trips are what this is about.

It's very hard to believe he's 19. He is much wiser than his age would indicate and his knowledge comes from taking lots of pictures and not formal training. In the end though, his photographs are great because of his connection with his subject. He even says that. But before he does, it will be quite evident in his work.

If you have a chance to see Faces of a Vanishing World, do. It was worth it.
  • Options
    FLYING EYEBALLFLYING EYEBALL Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    Looks good...makes me wish I had cable. :D

Looks like it's available for download and on DVD. Maybe it's available as a rental or at Netflix?
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 3, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    Well, I recorded and finally watched Faces of a Vanishing World. I think it's a great look at Joey L. as a photographer and as a person. But more importantly, he's made an effort to document some amazing people who, in all likely hood, will vanish in time. The program isn't so much about him as a photographer but about his trip to Africa to photograph several tribes. He returns a year later to present his exhibit to the people he photographed. To be sure, we do get hints as to his other work as well but the Africa trips are what this is about.

It's very hard to believe he's 19. He is much wiser than his age would indicate and his knowledge comes from taking lots of pictures and not formal training. In the end though, his photographs are great because of his connection with his subject. He even says that. But before he does, it will be quite evident in his work.

If you have a chance to see Faces of a Vanishing World, do. It was worth it.

Just finished watching it too. Great piece on a brilliant young man. Ian, your review is spot on!

• Options
    FLYING EYEBALLFLYING EYEBALL Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    Looks like it's available for download and on DVD. Maybe it's available as a rental or at Netflix?

Thanks

I'll have to check that out :D