Kodak Slice, Help me Please!

LeahAbbaLeahAbba Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited September 27, 2010 in Cameras
I have a Kodak Slice and this morning my son spilled my reed diffuser all over the table. The camera was laying face down and was only in it for a few seconds but now, when I turn it on the screen is white. Is there anything I can do for it. I have it in a bag of rice, but it is oil so I don't know if that will even help! Any advice is welcome!

Comments

• hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    Welcome to dGrin!

I assume you are talking about the scented oil you put into a vase or similar with a bunch of reeds or similar. If so, bad news: I am 99% sure it will have to go in for repair or, more likely, be replaced. Some oils can quickly leak past many different types of seals and your LCD may be compromised. But rice will not work, as it only adsorbes water moisture, H20.

Anyway, only a repair person would be able to answer you properly and estimate costs ... however, I am fairly sure they would be more than the roughly $200 the camera is worth, unless you have home or other insurance that will cover its repair or replacement.

BTW, diesel oil soaks in fast past almost all kinds of normal seals. Don't ask how I know!
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    Reed diffuser oil is a relatively fine grade oil and very thin. It probably seeped into the inside of the camera and insulated some of the internal electrical connections.

Unfortunately the camera probably needs to be disassembled and cleaned to even have a chance at operation, but the Kodak Slice is a pretty inexpensive camera and I'm guessing might not be worth the cost of repair.

My son's FujiFilm P&S failed a couple of years ago and Fuji did allow a replacement (refurbished) camera for half the cost of new, so you might see if Kodak has a similar program for replacement.

Edit: I see Henry has beat me to it. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • LeahAbbaLeahAbba Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    Thanks everyone. We got the camera for free on a cruise we went on so I am probably just going to have to buy a new one!!