Questions regarding B&W headshots for a talent contest

STLMach1STLMach1 Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited September 27, 2010 in People
Greetings,

I have been asked to shoot a B&W headshot photo for my 11 year old niece who will soon be auditioning for a talent contest. While more a landscape (amateur) photographer, I confess to be somewhat unclear as to the best way to go about these photos and/or techniques to utilize (both during the shoot or afterwards in post processing via Photoshop Elements).

I wanted to post here to inquire as to recommendations or resources (preferably online) that others might suggest. Never having used my hobby as a revenue generator this is no exception so there should be no fears of sharing trade secrets with a potential competitor. I merely want to produce the best result that I can to help her in her attempt to make it into the competition.

One question that immediately comes to mind is whether there should be an expanded white border at the bottom of the photo with any information such as her name and/or contact information? I somewhat seem to recall seeing something like that on headshot images that I've seen some time ago.

Thank you all in advance for any help that you might provide.
Michael

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    I just did this for an older girl not long ago and all that was required were some traditional head shots which we then made up and incorporated into her pamphlet to solicit sponsorship.
    As for the head shots, they are just that, clean, crisp portraits with eyes being the center point. There's more to it than that of course but that's a good start.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • STLMach1STLMach1 Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    Thank you reyvee61.

I appreciate the guidance! Again never having done this before I am happy to get all the input that I can.

Thanks again!
    Michael