Options

LR + PS Playing nice

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 3, 2010 in Finishing School
What is that command to make sure that LR and PS talk to each other properly when editing the same file? LR3 isn't loading the edited version of the tif after I've worked on it in PS (unless I open/close it again). I seem to recall there's a selection in Bridge which makes them play nice with each other, but can't remember what it is...

Thanks in advance, oh Mighty Knowledgeable ones!

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    Help me out here . . . why are you still faffing about in bridge if you have LR? headscratch.gif I'm seriously looking for enlightenment.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    I never use Bridge! But there's a selection in the configuration there which allows PS and LR to talk to each other while you're editing a single image in both programs (ie, if I use LR to create and then open a tiff in PS for cloning or other editing) - somebody in here told me about it when I first got LR2, but I can't remember what it was....
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    divamum wrote: »
    I never use Bridge! But there's a selection in the configuration there which allows PS and LR to talk to each other while you're editing a single image in both programs (ie, if I use LR to create and then open a tiff in PS for cloning or other editing) - somebody in here told me about it when I first got LR2, but I can't remember what it was....

Bridge has no bearing on how LR and PS behave. I've never used Bridge.

When you open an image for editing in PS, are you opening it from LR via the "Edit in PS" choice on the context menu? (right click on the image you wish to edit). When done in PS, make sure you save the image or just use "Check in".
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2010
    I'm pretty sure you need to close the image in Photoshop when you're done with it. Then it will show in LR, and it should be stacked with the original. It does not always show up in order, and is often at the end of your filmstrip. If you have any filters on it sometimes gets wonkey, but it's there. They usually play nice together, but sometimes there are little spats. Kinda like eighth grade girls.
    John :
  • Options
    Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    Howdy.

I have Lr2 & Cs3. In Lr, I select an image and open it or a copy in Ps using Ctrl+E. When I save the image in Ps, it appears after a few moments in Lr. If I edit the image further in Ps, then "Save", after a few moments the changes appear in Lr. The Ps image does not have to be closed for the changes to appear in Lr. Nor does the page need to be refreshed. I don't do anything except "Save". The rest is automatic. I'm pretty sure it works this way by default. There are no settings that I know of that attend to this. No way to change it, no need to change it. Works great.

I would expect Lr3 would play just as nicely with any newer version of Ps. But maybe not. The only thing is, on my system, the changes take about ten seconds to appear in Lr after I have saved them in Ps. I you peek too quickly, it looks like nothing happened. Unless you keep looking, then the changes do appear.

I don't know what's going on with your issue, but I'd be surprised if Bridge had anything to do with it.

That's all I got. Good luck.
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com
  • Options
    the changes take about ten seconds to appear in Lr after I have saved them in Ps. I you peek too quickly, it looks like nothing happened. Unless you keep looking, then the changes do appear.

Shoot, in 10 seconds, I'm already PO'd :D.
    Maybe that has something to do with why I thought you had to close the image in PS to see the changes in LR. I just never waited around. Why would you be toggling back and forth anyway??
    John :
  • Options
    Howdy.

Hi, Icebear.

I found out because this question has been asked before and I was checking it out. Just being curious. I made a little tutorial on the interaction of Lr and Ps. It's around here somewhere. My lovely wife keeps me too busy to sit around watching thumbnails refresh.
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
  • Options
    Tx TR et al. I'm going to have to do some archive sleuthing, because I KNOW somebody in here got me set up in this originally.

I will say LR was behaving itself today so can't complain. When all else fails, reboot... rolleyes1.gif

Icebear, the reason I use this is because I often have to do cloning/skinwork etc in PS, but I like to crop and tinker in LR. BEing able to switch between the programs with an updated copy of PS's changes is v helpful.....
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2010
    Found it!! Post #16 in this thread

ThunderRabbit... it was your post!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    Doh!

I knew that all sounded very familiar for some reason. Anyway, I do have a tutorial on my site that addresses this in some detail. I had to go look at it again to see if it still made any sense. I'm still pretty sure Lr will see changes saved in Ps by default, and no option to change this. To get Bridge and other software to read the changes, the preferences must be set properly. Basically, to write changes into an xmp file, and not to ignore xmp files.

At least this seems to be the case for Lr2 and CS3.

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it.
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX