Options

Gallery stats - no prior months anymore?

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
I tried to acces August stats on some of my galleries only to find out that there is no such thing. Page text shows correct info ("Statisics for gallery XYZ for August 2005", but there is no image thumbs, even with zeros - the rest fo the page is empty, as if the gallery were empty.

Did you guys drop the idea of keeping the prior stats info?
I remember Don was saying "couple of months, no more than a year, we can't guarantee anything", but it seems that current month stats ONLY is pretty "thin":uhoh
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I tried to acces August stats on some of my galleries only to find out that there is no such thing. Page text shows correct info ("Statisics for gallery XYZ for August 2005", but there is no image thumbs, even with zeros - the rest fo the page is empty, as if the gallery were empty.

I remember Don was saying "couple of months, no more than a year, we can't guarantee anything", but it seems that current month stats ONLY is pretty "thin":uhoh

nik, look again. it's there, in your control panel

34522814-L-0.jpg
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2005
    Actually Nik is referring to the detailed statistics of every picture in a gallery. That was never directly accessible through the SM interface, but Nik used it through providing the site with the appropriate parameters and it was great to have it in S*E.
    Without the feature you would have to get the detailed statistics at the last day/hour of a month in order to get all of them and that would be not do-able if you want complete stats and no hassle with them.

Hope this is just a glitch, too. mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2005
    What Sebastian said
    Actually Nik is referring to the detailed statistics of every picture in a gallery. That was never directly accessible through the SM interface, but Nik used it through providing the site with the appropriate parameters and it was great to have it in S*E.
    Without the feature you would have to get the detailed statistics at the last day/hour of a month in order to get all of them and that would be not do-able if you want complete stats and no hassle with them.

Hope this is just a glitch, too. mwink.gif

Sebastian
    I know it was not neither official, nor documented, but it was working. People (including myself) were using it. Now it does not work. I wonder if this functionality can be restored, at least to a degree...
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2005
    Yeah, I see that too, major bummer, I only checked them after the month to see it at as a whole, I hope this is a oops.

James.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2005
    Don, JT - any commments?
    Nikolai wrote:

Is this functionality gone forever, or it's just a glitch while revamping for CSS?

We're talking about testing "new" beta.. It would be nice to have the original functionality maintained to begin with...rolleyes1.gif This one been reported a week ago, confirmed by several people - yet no feedback..ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2005
    SmugBump
    Nikolai wrote:
    Is this functionality gone forever, or it's just a glitch while revamping for CSS?

We're talking about testing "new" beta.. It would be nice to have the original functionality maintained to begin with...rolleyes1.gif This one been reported a week ago, confirmed by several people - yet no feedback..ne_nau.gif
    Don, time passes by.. Can I get a feedback on this? Please?
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

It's gone.

We clear out detailed stats for past months from time to time, and this month was one of those times.

We'll try to keep album level data for months, at the very least, but image level data is disk and CPU intensive and needs to be flushed from time to time.

Don
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    We clear out detailed stats for past months from time to time, and this month was one of those times.

We'll try to keep album level data for months, at the very least, but image level data is disk and CPU intensive and needs to be flushed from time to time.
    I guess we all know this, but why flushing all data at once? eek7.gif
    I always thought you were keeping it for the last 6 months or so - that meant for me that the data from January is availiable until the end of July and the February data until the end of August. This way you would only have to keep 6 months of data and still giving us enough time to acquire this data. It even would be sufficient if you only keep it for 5 or 4 or 3 months, but flushing everything on one day and start over fresh is not a good idea in my point of view.
    How we're supposed to know when you're hitting the toilet flush? Even the IE got an option to keep the history for a certain amount of days/weeks without flushing all at once! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2005
    I guess we all know this, but why flushing all data at once? eek7.gif
    I always thought you were keeping it for the last 6 months or so - that meant for me that the data from January is availiable until the end of July and the February data until the end of August. This way you would only have to keep 6 months of data and still giving us enough time to acquire this data. It even would be sufficient if you only keep it for 5 or 4 or 3 months, but flushing everything on one day and start over fresh is not a good idea in my point of view.
    How we're supposed to know when you're hitting the toilet flush? Even the IE got an option to keep the history for a certain amount of days/weeks without flushing all at once! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Yeah, it would be nice to have it for x months, I personally would have gone and pulled mine if I had known it was going away, I am trying to pay close attention to traffic as a startup biz to see what people actually like, for that I need per photo stats. I would love to have a years worth myself, but wouldn't mind if I had to use star explorer to pull and store it, we just need to know what will be happening.

James.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2005
    Any comment to our additional thoughts? mwink.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    JT, Onethumb, Baldy?
    Any comment to our additional thoughts? mwink.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    bump..
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2005
    Bump for Don:-)
    Any chance to check this one out?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2005
    Bump
    Nikolai wrote:
    Any chance to check this one out?ne_nau.gif
    Bumprolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2005
    Hey Nik, I saw you bumping this every day now. I'm also waiting for an answear on this and I can see your frustration, but I think Don isn't around or really busy as I can't see any posts from him at the moment. I'm sure he'll be back when his schedule allows for it or at least I hope it.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2005
    1t s0unds l1k3 th1s 1s 4n 0pp0rtun1ty f0r 0ur h4ck3rs t0 bu1ld s0m3 funct10n4l1ty 1nt0 th31r 4lr34dy succ3ssful pr0gr4m... 1t w0uld b3 m0st c00l 1f st4r 3xpl0r3r h4d 4n 4ut0m4t3d fuct10n th4t w3nt 4nd gr4bb3d th3 st4ts 4t th3 3nd 0f th3 m0nth, 4ut0m4t1c4lly.
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    1t s0unds l1k3 th1s 1s 4n 0pp0rtun1ty f0r 0ur h4ck3rs t0 bu1ld s0m3 funct10n4l1ty 1nt0 th31r 4lr34dy succ3ssful pr0gr4m... 1t w0uld b3 m0st c00l 1f st4r 3xpl0r3r h4d 4n 4ut0m4t3d fuct10n th4t w3nt 4nd gr4bb3d th3 st4ts 4t th3 3nd 0f th3 m0nth, 4ut0m4t1c4lly.
    I have such a program written on my hard drive. It needs patching into a Windows service and it can even do clever analysis things.

Cunningly called 'SmugAnalyser'

It's waiting for the real API bugs, as opposed to this one, which is a feature request.

Once they are done, I can release the library, and then release the application.

Luke
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    I've just realised, I've just admitted to being able to read 3lit3 speak...

Hangs head in shame...

;)

Luke
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2005

Hangs head in shame...

;)

Luke

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2005
    andy wrote:
    A littlebit hard to read, but I get your idea.
    The problem with it is that you need to know when SM clears the data so you can really get all your visitors up to the last day. Then there are the timezones resulting in some confusion when the day in California ends. For me here in Germany it's then 9 am, which is not a bad time, but others might not be so lucky. Also I need to let my PC ran the whole time at the last day so that the program can do its work. What happens when I'm not at home for some weeks etc. ?

It would be much easier when SM would store the data for some weeks in the new month or at least inform us about the exact date/time when they delete the data. Something like they did for the maintenance window.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2005
    A littlebit hard to read, but I get your idea.
    The problem with it is that you need to know when SM clears the data so you can really get all your visitors up to the last day. Then there are the timezones resulting in some confusion when the day in California ends. For me here in Germany it's then 9 am, which is not a bad time, but others might not be so lucky. Also I need to let my PC ran the whole time at the last day so that the program can do its work. What happens when I'm not at home for some weeks etc. ?

It would be much easier when SM would store the data for some weeks in the new month or at least inform us about the exact date/time when they delete the data. Something like they did for the maintenance window.

Sebastian

at the beginning of a month, the prior month's stats are availalble, yes? so it would seem to me, that grabbing them on the first of the month would make sense?
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2005
    andy wrote:
    at the beginning of a month, the prior month's stats are availalble, yes? so it would seem to me, that grabbing them on the first of the month would make sense?
    This is correct for the overall gallery stats, but not for the individual image usage statistics which were deleted for the last months when Nik posted this issue.
    Using the SM interface you could only access them for the running month, but the API allowed for image stats up to 6 months and that's what Nik's S*E was using.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2005
    Any comment on this from our favorite support team?

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero