Sabrina- Isis

reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
edited September 28, 2010 in People
I struggled with these on the skin tones as my initial renderings were on the orange side but I've tamed them considerably as I've learned new techniques.

873457203_f8Sag-L-2.jpg
873457415_4pgJi-L-2.jpg
873457469_kjJm7-L-3.jpg
873457261_skWzg-L-2.jpg
Yo soy Reynaldo

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    How we should look at these depends a bit on your purpose for them. If you want "documentary" shots, they are informative and enjoyable. If you want "promotional" shots I think they lack. Your shooting technique is solid, but there is no emotion in your presentation. My strongest responses were to the pov and the lighting. All the shots are from the pov of someone in an audience watching a performance in front of them, the viewer and the subject don't change their relative positions. I always think, once again depending on your purpose, that the camera should not seem fixed, but should be a part of the "action", or narrative. The lighting also gives the shots the feeling of being static, and this works against the actual topic, which is vigorous dancing. I miss shadow work. My feeling is that you start with the question what do I want the light to do, or how am I going to make these photographs using light and shadow. I think basically your job as a photographer is to do something brilliant with light and shadow.

Hope you don't feel I am preaching down to you!eek7.gif Hope you pick up on my train of thought. And I qualify what I say depending on your purpose for these images, as I said.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    Going more by her body than face, due to make up, I think they look great. Nice capture for a challenging situation. Was she a good dancer? Was it fun to watch? I love the green fabric she uses. #4 is my favorite.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    NeilL wrote: »
    How we should look at these depends a bit on your purpose for them. If you want "documentary" shots, they are informative and enjoyable. If you want "promotional" shots I think they lack. Your shooting technique is solid, but there is no emotion in your presentation. My strongest responses were to the pov and the lighting. All the shots are from the pov of someone in an audience watching a performance in front of them, the viewer and the subject don't change their relative positions. I always think, once again depending on your purpose, that the camera should not seem fixed, but should be a part of the "action", or narrative. The lighting also gives the shots the feeling of being static, and this works against the actual topic, which is vigorous dancing. I miss shadow work. My feeling is that you start with the question what do I want the light to do, or how am I going to make these photographs using light and shadow. I think basically your job as a photographer is to do something brilliant with light and shadow.

Hope you don't feel I am preaching down to you!eek7.gif Hope you pick up on my train of thought. And I qualify what I say depending on your purpose for these images, as I said.

Neil

Neil you bring up some interesting points to ponder for sure.
    As a member of the audience watching the performance we are rather limited to what we can do or control as far as mobility and lighting are concerned but still this type of venue is not as restricted as it may seem.
    You've made me think of what I can do to change the angle and or perspective for when I attend this event in the coming year.
    What can I do to "make" a better picture....
    I suppose thus far photographing these events have primarily been for documentation but some of my work has been published in magazines and or used for promotional advertisement for future events by some of these performers.
    And that brings me to another facet of this type of photography. I'd love to be able to work with some of these dancers for strictly "promotional" purposes where I can be in control of the lighting and situation to produce a stunning image.
    I do appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, that's what I'm her for.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    Going more by her body than face, due to make up, I think they look great. Nice capture for a challenging situation. Was she a good dancer? Was it fun to watch? I love the green fabric she uses. #4 is my favorite.

Trudy
    She was fabulous to watch with the Isis wings and she moved gracefully.
    As for the makeup, yes...that's been an issue with processing these but with the control points in the Nikon software it's relatively simple to change warmth and saturation on any part of the image without effecting the entire color.
    Thanks for commenting
    Yo soy Reynaldo