Help I touched a D3s........Now I want one.

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited October 3, 2010 in Cameras
It was big, heavy, and felt like some kind of weapon. The balance was soooooo nice. I now am infected with some sort of lust for this thing. I can't stop thinking about it. I want 12,000 ISO!!! It would be awesome to have that sort of power. It just costs almost as much as a new dirtbike. :cry

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 28, 2010
    But probably not as much as say a new KTM. More like a Honda or Yamaha.

A good used D3 is probably more like buying a bicycle. Maybe wait until you can find a good used one.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    The other problem is this. What if the D700 replacement is awesome, and is everything I need for a lot less $$?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    Zerodog wrote: »
    The other problem is this. What if the D700 replacement is awesome, and is everything I need for a lot less $$?

That actually seems likely. Timing for the release and availability could be an issue, depending on your needs. You could rent the D3s in the meantime for important opportunities.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    That actually seems likely. Timing for the release and availability could be an issue, depending on your needs. You could rent the D3s in the meantime for important opportunities.

Based on my needs, I might just wait and save some $$$ Going full frame will require me to buy a 24-70 to give me a similar focal range as my 17-55 on my 300s. Maybe there will even be a 300s replacement that will give me my high ISO? Or maybe the D3s will have a nice price drop and I will jump all over it because it will give me a boner every time I touch it. I don't know!!!!!!!!!!!! For now I guess I just wait and see.ne_nau.gif
    Don't know but would have to try and see how the DX lenses work on the FF. The D3 and D700 recognize the DX lens and adjust for it with a drop in MP. So for short term they will work. But for the full benefit, I need that one piece of glass too. There is no way I am selling my 300s. That will be a backup and a second camera. And I love that thing too. It is small enough to carry around. And tough enough that I don't feel like I will break it. So my 17-55 won't go to waste.
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    It's a dangerous camera to touch. We were shooting with one this morning at even at 10k ISO there is no detectable noise; it's incredible.

Edit: Here's the pic at 10k http://i.imgur.com/1FE67.jpg
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
    it's a dangerous camera to touch. We were shooting with one this morning at even at 10k iso there is no detectable noise; it's incredible.

don't tell me stuff like that!
  • TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2010
    I'm lucky to have a mentor who has a D3s that I can get my hands on.. However I am secretly wishing I could afford to buy his old D2x off of him.
    So where we at with this one? Pull the trigger yet? lol3.gif
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    It was big, heavy, and felt like some kind of weapon. The balance was soooooo nice. I now am infected with some sort of lust for this thing. I can't stop thinking about it. I want 12,000 ISO!!! It would be awesome to have that sort of power. It just costs almost as much as a new dirtbike. :cry

Trade you D300s in for a D700, then get the dirtbike. I would take a nice used Husqvarna over that extra stop, plus the D700 is easier to carry on the bike deal.gif
    Don't know but would have to try and see how the DX lenses work on the FF. The D3 and D700 recognize the DX lens and adjust for it with a drop in MP. So for short term they will work. But for the full benefit, I need that one piece of glass too. There is no way I am selling my 300s. That will be a backup and a second camera. And I love that thing too. It is small enough to carry around. And tough enough that I don't feel like I will break it. So my 17-55 won't go to waste.

If you don't go in adverse weather seriously look into Tamron/Canon lenses, I love my 28-75 on the D700.
    All I do is bad dusty conditions it seems. And FASSSST action. So Nikon is a must. The AFS lenses scream. Don't think I would give up the 300s. I just like that camera. The 700 FPS is not really enough at 5 and I really want more than one stop. I want to have no excuses about bad light in any situation.

I have one leg over the fence on this one. I would really need to focus on some major life changes and make photography more of a job, at least my second job. It is more like a third job now.....that I don't get paid much for. It is big $$$ just to screw around with.....but so is a new dirtbike!
    edited September 30, 2010
    It's a dangerous camera to touch. We were shooting with one this morning at even at 10k ISO there is no detectable noise; it's incredible.

Edit: Here's the pic at 10k http://i.imgur.com/1FE67.jpg

I looked at your link. It looks like a normal well lit shot from my 300s.
    Do it. You know you want to lol3.gif

Seriously, I think for the type of stuff you are doing, a weather sealed body is going to be a requirement.

You could always get the dirtbike and a GoPro--that shoots HD thumb.gif OK. J/K rolleyes1.gif
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    The 700 FPS is not really enough at 5 and I really want more than one stop.

Add the grip and rechargeable batteries and you get 8fps.
    But, I don't get nearly the ISO. That is the the big selling point of the D3s for me. If I am going for it, I am going big!
    I looked at your link. It looks like a normal well lit shot from my 300s.

At ISO 10,000?

Follow us on Facebook
    No NR nothing? Straight out of the Camera?
    No NR nothing? Straight out of the Camera?

straight out of camera.

Follow us on Facebook
    Man you are a such a dick for showing me that!
    edited October 1, 2010
    Sorry, wasn't trying to be cruel :)

Follow us on Facebook
    edited October 1, 2010
    At ISO 10,000?

Wait ISO 10,000!? You really do have a full stop on the D700/D3 with that beast.....that does it now I need a D3x/D3s combo lol3.gif
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Man you are a such a dick for showing me that!
    :giggle Yeah...that one hard to get off the ego (mind), yes?
    tom wise
  • SunstruckSunstruck Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Based on my needs, I might just wait and save some $$$ Going full frame will require me to buy a 24-70 to give me a similar focal range as my 17-55 on my 300s. Maybe there will even be a 300s replacement that will give me my high ISO? Or maybe the D3s will have a nice price drop and I will jump all over it because it will give me a boner every time I touch it. I don't know!!!!!!!!!!!! For now I guess I just wait and see.ne_nau.gif

Oh, go and get the 24-70! I have one and it is my favorite lens. I used it on my D90 until I got my D700. It was worth the hefty price tag.

PJ
    edited October 2, 2010
    Yes. The 24-70 is a great lens!
    edited October 2, 2010
    S200 f7.1 ISO 16,000 62mm Handheld, after one of these wonderful cocktails.........

1031116729_y7PdK-X3.jpg

Noise, What Noise?
    Fricken amazing!
    edited October 2, 2010
    Um...what is in that glass? It's PINK!
    edited October 2, 2010
    That was a NEF/RAW straight out of the camera imported to LR then uploaded to SM. So nothing at all. You loose all groovy settings like NR and Active D when you don't use Nikon software and use RAW files. It is the only thing about Nikon that I don't like.

That happens to be a good drink. Whiskey in Pink Lemonade. So what if it is girly looking. Maybe we need to just make up a manly name for it. The Dragon Slayer?
    edited October 2, 2010
    That happens to be a good drink. Whiskey in Pink Lemonade. So what if it is girly looking. Maybe we need to just make up a manly name for it. The Dragon Slayer?

I had something like it in Vegas. Andy and I'd gone to dinner and the cocktail waitress asked if I wanted something. I couldn't decide and told her to decide for me. She brought back this huge glass with nothing but pink. It had whiskey and apple and something else in it. So good; I had another!
    edited October 3, 2010
    More
    S160 f4.5 ISO 20,000 RAW Straight from camera WB tweaked in LR.
    1031501155_BQQvB-X2.jpg

Girlfriend Sleeping Lit by our 19" TV.
    S1/15 f4.5 ISO102,000 Handheld RAW straight from camera WB tweaked a bit. It even autofocused somehow.

1031502708_4rMuv-XL.jpg

Same file tuned up a bit.
    1031501975_jFC7U-XL.jpg