Options

Suggestions for magazine template sources

msfmsf Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
edited October 3, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I would like to get a template for a magazine cover for an upcoming gymnastics portrait shoot next week. I'm also looking for a secondary one for a ballet recital this winter.

Free would be awesome, but if that's not possible, then hopefully the template will be a good price and not photoshop level price. :D

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited September 28, 2010
    I don't know of any templates but I also do graphic design so constructing a page from scratch seems simple as pie to me.

Are you mac or windows based? If you have MS Office you might look at Publisher for a template. (good Lord did I say that out loud? eek7.gif )

but if you want basic and free..... deal.gif
  • Options
    I could design one, but it would take a while and then I would have to come up with a magazine name that would take me weeks to think of probably. Gotta be catchy, but not copyrighted.

It doesnt have to be free, just affordable. Like $20 would be great, $100 im not sure I could justify that at this time.
  • Options
    It would be great if sports illustrated or some gymnastics magazine has a template out there to be used that comes with the rights to use it commercially for customers.
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2010
    I did come across this site,

http://www.fakemagazinecover.com/

but im doubting they got permission/rights from the different official magazines to use their name.

Im still looking for the anwer. :D
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    I have done covers with names that appear to be those of legit mags but I strategically place a logo or part of the pic over the Mis-spelled name.
    It looks like a recognised mag at first glance but if there was any problem, it's actually not the mag's name so your safe.

I have been making some mag covers as well as border templates and it's not that hard. Granted there is some awsome stuff out there you pay accordingly for but it's not too hard to come up with something decent and sale able on your own.

If you know any 15 yo kids, offer them $20 for every design they come up with you can use.
  • Options
    Glort, do you care to share some examples of your magazine covers? Perhaps people here would be interested in buying templates. :)
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    Here is a basic one that I made for my daughter which the parents LOVED. Changed the name a little, .psd file with lots of layers to change and alter. I know the picture itself is not great, but with this file I can add and delete all sorts of stuff....
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    Great design. :) Not to complex, but its also not to much. :) I like.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    One my Designer ( 15 yo son) knocked up for me.

aaamagazine1sml.jpg

Just looked at the pic in post preview and it has certainly lost a lot of quality but you get the idea.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    I noticed one of you does it 8x10 and the other does it 8x11.3, and I measured my issue of SI and its 8x10.5. Is that a normal size for AU prints? 8x11.3?

Just wondering if I should go 8x10 route or spend a bit more per print *which stinks since theres a min order* and get a larger print and trim it down to 8x10.5.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    headscratch.gif
    msf wrote: »
    I noticed one of you does it 8x10 and the other does it

8x11.3, and I measured my issue of SI and its 8x10.5. Is that a normal size for AU prints? 8x11.3?

Just wondering if I should go 8x10 route or spend a bit more per print *which stinks since theres a min order* and get a larger print and trim it down to 8x10.5.

I just do my mag covers to suit an A4 size print which is the common paper size we get here in inkjet paper. I print all my own pics to this size so it's what I standardise on. Mags here are all different sizes anyway and that is never of the importance as getting a frame to fit the prints as is what people often want to do.

I would suggest you just size them up to whatever suits you best and is the most economical . the only time the customers will worry about size is if they go to buy a frame for the print. It's what's on it that counts not the size.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    I think they would have a hard time getting a frame to fit a 8x11 here, 8x10's are much more common. I think the photo paper is 8.5x11 as well, but I think thats because not all printers can bleed the print.

It would be sweet to get it printed on magazine paper, make it more authentic, but then it would be more likely to get damaged.
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    msf wrote: »
    I think they would have a hard time getting a frame to fit a 8x11 here, 8x10's are much more common. I think the photo paper is 8.5x11 as well, but I think thats because not all printers can bleed the print.

It would be sweet to get it printed on magazine paper, make it more authentic, but then it would be more likely to get damaged.

I made mine 8x10 to fit the normal frame size as you mentioned. I totally agree on the paper, it would be awesome to get an authentic magazine cover, but it would have to be framed right away to keep from being damaged.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    si there special magazine frames? that would add added value to this. : )
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    so ive noticed some of my "friends" on facebook are cheerleaders, and they have posted group pictures, and tagged them all. I wonder how inappropriate it would be to post on the picture and ask if anyone needs cheer pics. I just did a free session for a friend to get some cheer portfolio pics, so Ill be posting those on my facebook wall before long. :)

not all of the girls are "friends". I did add a bunch of seniors on facebook a while back trying to get some senior portrait gigs, which is why their on there now. I have been having problems adding new friends on facebook, got to many unanswered friend requests, and im not sure how to cancel them to clear my status. :)