Options

LR3, CS5, and NIK Dfine 2.0

misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
edited September 28, 2010 in Finishing School
I actually went from an old copy of Photoshop to now having LR3, CS5 and NIK Dfine 2.0.

My question is:

Which of the three choices offer the *best* noise reduction?

This is important to me because the Olympus E-30 (which is what I use) has a bit more noise in the higher ISO range (1600-3200) than the Nikons/Canons and I would like to address that.

I also notice that some don't play well with the others.. and cause a really grain image that ends up in the recycle bin.

Any feedback will be appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    i dont know NIK Dfine , so i go for #4
    Imagenomic Noiseware plugin for for Photoshop
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    NIK is fine! :D Ease of use...does a great job and plays nicely with PS.

I don't bother with NR in ACR because I can't do it selectively. Unless I hear a compeling reason to...I won't.
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    basflt wrote: »
    i dont know NIK Dfine , so i go for #4
    Imagenomic Noiseware plugin for for Photoshop

+1 on this for me. I haven't tried NIK, but found Noiseware to be better than LR3. I could learn to live with LR3 if needed, but the flexibility of selective noise reduction via layers in CS5/NW is great (I'm guessing NIK allows the same thing).
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    misterb wrote: »
    Which of the three choices offer the *best* noise reduction?

Well, there's really no difference between CS5 (in ACR) and LR3. Like basflt, I use Noiseware, but now I only use it when ACR doesn't cut it. Often this is because of noise in the red or blue channel that is giving me trouble in a B&W conversion. Most of the time, the global NR in ACR works just fine. If you really need to do it selectively, you can always open two copies of the raw file and stack them as masked layers in PS.