Options

Nit's and Crits PLEASE!!

angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
edited October 3, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
I worked another redo of my current Challenge Entry. Please take the time to leave a comment, even if it's a good one. Nit's and crit's are all welcome and appreciated!

Also, is matting allowed? If so, I'll trim Laced with tears' mat down some.

Current entry: Le droit
1018323614_6nXCo-M.jpg

And reworked Le droit
1028660728_2KxE3-L.jpg

Redo: Laced with tears

1026519485_kfc3c-L.jpg

Thanks for taking time to comment!
tom wise

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    Personally I think you've thought too much about this. It was fine the way you started, though I like the monotone of the current new one! thumb.gif

You already have a winner, IMHO! Not to say someone wont post a better one! :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    I like the Lace with tears, I thought the shadow of the nose was to dark on the first one... makes it difficult to make out the nose... Lace with tears is way cool! and the shadow is better... I think a mat would be like a border or frame which is not allowed, so I don't think a mat would be allowed... good luck! thumb.gif
    angevin1 wrote: »
    I worked another redo of my current Challenge Entry. Please take the time to leave a comment, even if it's a good one. Nit's and crit's are all welcome and appreciated!

Also, is matting allowed? If so, I'll trim Laced with tears' mat down some.

Thanks for taking time to comment!
  • Options
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Personally I think you've thought too much about this.

Boy, thats a sure surprise!:D

You already have a winner, IMHO! Not to say someone wont post a better one! :D
    Don
    bowdown.gif Thanks for the kind comment!
    tom wise
  • Options
    I like the Lace with tears, I thought the shadow of the nose was to dark on the first one... makes it difficult to make out the nose... Lace with tears is way cool! and the shadow is better... I think a mat would be like a border or frame which is not allowed, so I don't think a mat would be allowed... good luck! thumb.gif

Thanks for the Good Luck wish!

yeah, the Shadow on this poor Monitor looks poor indeed, and way over done too...Thats one reason I went back to give the old girl a little face lift...and well, She had more money than planned, so I went a bit further on the Surgery. Good News is, I have her saved in stages!
    tom wise
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    I love the eyes on the first one, I think it's an all-around excellent picture, except there looks like a reflection or something in the shadow of the nose. I'd get that darker or lighten the rest of the shadow to see some detail.
    I agree -it is a very good shot except for the shadow.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    The Laced with Tears shot is really cool! But as Winston pointed out, the matte may DQ you from the challenge. I love the B&W conversion and feel that the top half of that shot could stand on its own as an entry. mwink.gif
  • Options
    richtersl wrote: »
    The Laced with Tears shot is really cool! But as Winston pointed out, the matte may DQ you from the challenge. I love the B&W conversion and feel that the top half of that shot could stand on its own as an entry. mwink.gif

Updated!
    tom wise
  • Options
    red_zone wrote: »
    I love the eyes on the first one, I think it's an all-around excellent picture, except there looks like a reflection or something in the shadow of the nose. I'd get that darker or lighten the rest of the shadow to see some detail.

I see what you mean, good eye!! Thanks!! I am working a redo of that one too, just in case~
    tom wise
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    I like the eyes of the Le droit image inserted into the Laced with Tears face. The eyes are a bit out of focus on Laced with tears, but the eyes of Le droit are stunning. Perhaps add 1 or 2 tear drops to the combination with those tears magnifying the lace it touches. Maybe cropping it just below the nose. I like the tear near the bottom that magnifies the lace.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    Wow, Tom! I really like what you are doing with the image. Very surreal.
  • Options
    amiableamiable Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    I prefer Laced with Tears . I think part of it is the fact that the eyes are more wide set than in the original, which makes the face appear more honest and attractive to me. The newer version definitely engages me emotionally. thumb.gif
  • Options
    amiable wrote: »
    I prefer Laced with Tears . I think part of it is the fact that the eyes are more wide set than in the original, which makes the face appear more honest and attractive to me. The newer version definitely engages me emotionally. thumb.gif

Great observation!! I'll keep that in mind for now and future reference..Good things to remember!! ( note to self)...uh...by a notepad!:D
    tom wise
  • Options
    Wow, Tom! I really like what you are doing with the image. Very surreal.

Ahh yes...but not to get lost in theme!! Theme!!!
    Theme!!!
    Theme!!!
    Theme!!!

eek7.gif

thanks!!
    tom wise
  • Options
    Jenn wrote: »
    I like the eyes of the Le droit image inserted into the Laced with Tears face. The eyes are a bit out of focus on Laced with tears, but the eyes of Le droit are stunning. Perhaps add 1 or 2 tear drops to the combination with those tears magnifying the lace it touches. Maybe cropping it just below the nose. I like the tear near the bottom that magnifies the lace.

Thanks Jenn, I was wonderin if anyone would miss those eyes!! I'll give that a go in tomorrow's redux, part 3~

You know...I'm just a lovin it!!:puke
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2010

Well, I did a redo and a reentry. If anyone has any further observations regarding the entry, I am all ears!

I see what you mean about the eye's Jenn....and in truth I'm not certain the other eyes are any more in focus. The dark shadows tend to hide them.....I'm iffy on the eyes thing, only because the eyes ought not be the full focus

Arguments? Pros? Con's?

I want to thank everyone again for taking the time to help me in this effort!thumb.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    I really like the redo. The conversion really well done. To me is much easier on the eye than the conversion on the first one. :D
  • Options
    !Agreed, Linda! And after looking at the other one about two days, I just easily could see ways to improve it. So thanks. This one'll stay unless someone can find flaws that kill it! ( or unless I get tired of seeing it too!)
    tom wise
  • Options
    !Agreed, Linda! And after looking at the other one about two days, I just easily could see ways to improve it. So thanks. This one'll stay unless someone can find flaws that kill it! ( or unless I get tired of seeing it too!)

I've been staring at this newest image trying to figure out what bugs me about it. Is the eye on the left (when you're looking at it).. the one without the tears... a tad too far to the left? Or maybe the nose bridge is a little too high. I can't figure it out. I still miss the darker eyes although the 2nd set of eyes kind of grow on me.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    I've been staring at this newest image trying to figure out what bugs me about it. Is the eye on the left (when you're looking at it).. the one without the tears... a tad too far to the left? Or maybe the nose bridge is a little too high. I can't figure it out. I still miss the darker eyes although the 2nd set of eyes kind of grow on me.

I am glad to hear and see others still looking to try and help me out! Thanks!

As far as the asymmetry....I am glad to hear she is! Although, I think there is so little definition at the center of the nose that is presents as the left eye being too far left. yet, I believe it is fairly centered and follows the Golden ratio~ 1.6:1
    tom wise
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    hi tom,
    just my two cents which i'm sure is worth far less than that.
    I'm envious of the amazing vision. congratulations. they're so well done.
    Personally I love the first entry. I really like the eye spread being a bit closer. I feel that closeness allows me to take both of the eyes in at the same time visually (if that makes sense). And the detail of the fans revealed in the eyes, drew me in and then had me exploring the pix for more fun. I also loved the shadows and contours of the high cheekbones.
    The new version, although beautiful, for me, there's something about how the angles of the veil and the lace across her eyebrows, frame the face. The spread of the eyes, has me scanning back and forth between them, and I don't feel as locked in. And although a great idea, I get taken out of the image with the tears.
    Again, congrats on two beautiful images. EITHER is going to do very well this round. Good luck!
  • Options
    Froch wrote: »
    hi tom,
    Personally I love the first entry. I really like the eye spread being a bit closer. I feel that closeness allows me to take both of the eyes in at the same time visually (if that makes sense). And the detail of the fans revealed in the eyes, drew me in and then had me exploring the pix for more fun. I also loved the shadows and contours of the high cheekbones.
    The new version, although beautiful, for me, there's something about how the angles of the veil and the lace across her eyebrows, frame the face. The spread of the eyes, has me scanning back and forth between them, and I don't feel as locked in. And although a great idea, I get taken out of the image with the tears.
    Again, congrats on two beautiful images. EITHER is going to do very well this round. Good luck!

Thanks for the congratulations! Several folks have pointed out the eye eye/issue, but yours resonates with me. I won't change this one, but promise to myself to remember the idea of taking in a photo with one glance, and it's importance.

I think the tears just kinda grew on me. I did a little vid here the other day, and took it from there. I look forward in five or so years that maybe we can get a video/motion graphic challenge going. Right now video seems like the least active forum.

Thanks again for commenting!
    tom wise
  • Options
    Froch wrote: »
    hi tom,

yes! That makes alot of sense to me, Froch. I couldn't really put it into the correct words, but I think what you said is what I have been hunting for to express, too. I love the original. :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    yes! That makes alot of sense to me, Froch. I couldn't really put it into the correct words, but I think what you said is what I have been hunting for to express, too. I love the original. :)

Okay...tell ya what...get me 15 more votes and I'll change it back!!rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    Okay...tell ya what...get me 15 more votes and I'll change it back!!rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    I like the original, but maybe with the monotone treatment of the newer one, B&W, not bluish!

:D

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    I like the original, but maybe with the monotone treatment of the newer one, B&W, not bluish!

:D

Don

one!
    tom wise
  • Options
    one!

at least 2 including me .. maybe 3 with Froch :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    at least 2 including me .. maybe 3 with Froch :D

well...get me more..MORE...MORE!!rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Re-posted a reworked version of le droit~
    tom wise
  • Options
    well...get me more..MORE...MORE!!rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Re-posted a reworked version of le droit~

wow ... I love the reworked le droit! Those eyes pop ... and the nose and cheeks bones are really nice!
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    richtersl wrote: »
    I really like the redo. The conversion really well done. To me is much easier on the eye than the conversion on the first one. :D
    I like le Droit II, too! thumb.gif much better than the blue version, original and the image without the darker stripe across the eyes definitely works better for me! :D

Don