Sigma v. Canon 24-70 2.8

fullofpaintfullofpaint Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
edited September 30, 2010 in Cameras
So our school is looking at buying a new lens for our 7D. I'm pushing for the Canon 24-70 f2.8L but my prof wants to see if there's a cheaper alternative, like the sigma or a tamron. The camera is used mostly for photojournalism work for the yearbook and school paper. Would I really be losing out by getting one of the cheaper sigma lenses? And which one should I get?
Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
16-35 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 24-105 4.0L
www.timkerigan.com

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2010
    the sigma 24-70mm HSM (the newest) is a pretty viable alternative. some reviews have it sharper then the canon version wide open
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    Honestly with the lens being used at a school, by students who don't care as much because it's not THEIR gear, the only wise purchase is a rugged L lens. There will be too much abuse going on to consider the Sigma, let alone the Tamron. They will fall apart within a year or two.

Sigma does make some amazingly rugged lenses, but in my opinion only the lenses that don't mechanically move when zooming or focusing. Such as the 50-150 2.8 DC which I have, abuse, and love.

I have to say, the school's money will be best spent on the highest quality lenses.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • fullofpaintfullofpaint Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    That's pretty much my thought Matt, especially because for us, these cameras will be going out to the photogs who don't have their own gear mostly. Biggest reason he wants to go cheaper though is to buy another 7D body for us as well, but I think we're going to have to hold off on that till next year right now.
    Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
    www.timkerigan.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    The best recommendation for a Canon crop 1.6x body in a standard zoom is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM. The focal lengths covered, the image quality at f2.8, the speed and accuracy of the AF motor and the IS implementation all join together into a very unique and extremely capable zoom lens.

I use this lens for all sorts of tasks from weddings (most the candids) to street to landscapes and some portraiture. It seems to be an extremely valuable combination of strengths and convenience that makes it so ideal for my uses.

The optical components and resulting image quality are very "L" like and the only things separating this from a true "L" are construction and EF-S image circle. By every other measure this is one of Canon's best lenses and it is an very good match for the Canon 7D body.

If you should consider the Sigma 24-70mm, f2.8 I would agree that the HSM is the version to consider. It is a completely new optical design (2008) and it's somewhat better than the original in ultimate image quality and the AF speed is faster and more sure than the older micro motor AF. Unfortunately there is not as much price incentive for the Sigma 24-70mm, f2.8 IF EX DG HSM as it's around a $900USD ticket versus $1300 for the Canon EF 24-70mm, f2.8L USM which has much better construction going for it as well as an extremely nice USM AF motor.

If budget really is a consideration then the Tamron AF 17-50mm, F2.8 XR Di-II LD SP ZL Aspherical (IF) is the recommendation. Relatively light it is still an extremely nice range and center sharpness out to almost the edges is very good. While the edges and especially the corners are not up to the above Canon 17-55mm standards, it's still good enough for professional work.

Again, my recommendation, and what I use on my crop 1.6x (40D in my case), is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM.

These are fairly recent:

913533724_oipEg-O.jpg

884620797_DGEcP-O.jpg

1004339042_F2ZPN-O.jpg

The following is just a snapshot/grab and slight crop:

1027494632_JV8Qm-XL.jpg

... and the link to the full size:
    http://ziggy53.smugmug.com/photos/1027494632_JV8Qm-O.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    Not sure on the canon lens debate, but I can tell you what Ziggy said on focal length is true on the crop body. 17-55 is the all around lens to have. Especially for photo journalism type shots. I think you would find the 24-70 a bit long.
  • studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    Second camera...
    The Canon 7D is a very nice camera however if funds are short, get a refurbished 50D from Adorama as the second camera and use the money saved to get good glass. I love my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens and, along with Ziggy, consider it the best lens for a 1.6x camera, but am not sure if that would be the lens I would choose for use with a pool camera - especially one used by students. I treat my equipment very considerately but, students probably would not.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    Both my local community college and the local newspaper use a check-out/check-in system (so the college mimics real life.)

When you check out a piece of equipment, "you" are responsible for checking the condition of the equipment as well. If anything isn't working or damaged, or even badly scratched, it had better be noted on the check-out sheet and if it's something bad it is the responsibility of the person checking out to bring that problem to the attention of the instructor or TA.

Likewise if something happens to equipment while it's checked out, it had better be reported immediately during check-in. If it's found later there are consequences.

Abuse or neglect is not tolerated at either the community college or the local newspaper. The system works fine in both places. If you expect people to act with care and if they understand that responsible behavior is required, the results are predictable too.

I would not have any qualms recommending the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM for responsible users. If there is a concern for that lens to be abused then the 7D is also a poor choice. A couple of used Canon 1D MKI bodies would be a better choice because they are pretty inexpensive used cameras nowdays and sturdy as tanks.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • fullofpaintfullofpaint Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    Abuse is a concern but I don't really worry too much about the lens, only because these cameras will most likely be restricted to a very small group of students that have already been vetted. I did some more research and I think I'm gonna recommend the 17-55, we'll see what my prof decides.
    Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
    www.timkerigan.com
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    Abuse is a concern but I don't really worry too much about the lens, only because these cameras will most likely be restricted to a very small group of students that have already been vetted. I did some more research and I think I'm gonna recommend the 17-55, we'll see what my prof decides.
    The 17-55 will need a little more care than the 24-70, but it will definitely be a much better range on the crop sensor. And sharper, the 17-55 Canon is amazing wide open at 2.8, whereas on the 7D with it's pixel density you're pushing past the aging 24-70's resolving power. (I'm betting we'll see a 24-70 mk2 from Canon within a year. They've already done a mk2 16-35 and 70-200, plus all of their pro primes, so the 24-70 has got to be next...)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    I currently own the Sigma 24-70mm HSM and I'm not very happy with it. I continually have focusing issues with the lens at any distance past 50mm, everything close is fine. I've even tried micro focusing and I've also sent in the lens to Sigma with no avail. Of course it maybe just that my 50D doesn't like the Sigma. So if it is in the school's budget I would have to recommend the Canon lens.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    the 17-55 is, may not be the sharpest wide open, but DAMN! That AF is fast!

Sorry for cursing, but it's the only way I can emphasize how fast it really is.
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    The 17-55 is definitely the best lens I could recommend for a crop camera. Image stabilization is also useful.