Purchase accident insurance for new camera?

piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited September 30, 2010 in Cameras
I was reading in the "how not to get ripped off" thread some folks calling attention to sellers who try and pad the sale by getting the customer to buy insurance. I am sure many of these policies are worthless. Are any of them worthwhile?

When you shop on Amazon for instance, they offer up to three year policies at the time you purchase the equipment.

For myself, I happen to go through a smaller P&S type of camera every two years simply because they get used in challenging conditions. spending an extra $75 might actually pay off if it worked. Has anyone on here had a positive experience buying one of these policies? If so which ones specifically, sold from which specific vendors? Thank you.

Comments

• rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2010
    Not "accident insurance"
    The extended warranties normally sold are not designed to protect the cameras from accidents. That said, neither is the warranty from the manufacturers...
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    Last year when I went overseas, I insured my camera as an add-on with my homeowner's insurance (State Farm). It was for loss or damage. I believe it cost around $129 for about $10,000 of coverage.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    rainbow wrote: »
    Last year when I went overseas, I insured my camera as an add-on with my homeowner's insurance (State Farm). It was for loss or damage. I believe it cost around $129 for about $10,000 of coverage.

I did the same thing. I added a "photographic equipment" addition to my homeowners policy.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    captain78 wrote: »
    I did the same thing. I added a "photographic equipment" addition to my homeowners policy.
    I see you have the Buy button enabled on your Smugmug galleries. According to my agent, that makes you a "professional" and disqualifies you from the homeowner photo equipment rider. I dropped my camera coverage on my homeowner's insurance for that reason. Might be worth checking with your agent and finding out for sure before you have a claim.
    edited September 30, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    I see you have the Buy button enabled on your Smugmug galleries. According to my agent, that makes you a "professional" and disqualifies you from the homeowner photo equipment rider. I dropped my camera coverage on my homeowner's insurance for that reason. Might be worth checking with your agent and finding out for sure before you have a claim.

The Captain78 smugmug gallery, like mine, has the option to buy via the Smugmug site. We do not sell photos and are not professionals. We do not take orders, print photos, handle any financial transactions (or derive a penny of income), OR even have knowledge of who might have ordered a photo. No different if you ordered prints from a friend's (or stranger's) flickr site. There are probably millions who post on a photo hosting site where you can order a print from their collection. Most are not professionals. Your agent needs to reconsider his thinking.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    Really? You've never sold a print, and don't intend to? Then maybe you're ok. I can't make that statement.
    kdog wrote: »
    Really? You've never sold a print, and don't intend to? Then maybe you're ok. I can't make that statement.

Must be the difference between the Pro Smugmug account and the Standard one. It is a fun hobby for me.