Broken Lens.. 3 months later Nikon gets back to me.. Bad news.

TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited October 11, 2010 in Cameras
Well, in March of last year my K9 pulled my camera and 28-70mm F2.8 off of my 4 1/2 foot kitchen bar... In March of this year the lens finally gave out during a shoot, and in July the lens was sent to Nikon for repair.

This week they FINALLY got back with me and gave me this prognosis.... Focus sensors broken loose, a couple of elements separated, and the standing wave motors needing replaced.

:(:

It's being fixed but will be costly... It's a good thing that I really love that lens, otherwise I'd just have a really expensive paper weight!

Sorry.. Just needed to vent I guess!! Lol

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 29, 2010
    I'm amazed that the lens worked at all after that much damage. They did have to completely dismantle the lens to find all of that damage so they probably had to use one of their best technicians to work on it.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2010
    Yes, they said that the lens would be completely torn down, rebuilt, and then realigned...

At least it will be like brand new when I get it back...
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    We've seen lenses suffer major damage and come back good as new. It's expensive but almost anything can be repaired. We hope your lens is repaired quickly!
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    Where equipment insurance pays off. I think I pay about $20/month with a $100 deductible with State Farm for blanket coverage ($20k I believe) and I've had 2 lenses claimed so far. My 17-40 when I slipped and fell on ice, broke off the at the base $300 repair from Canon, and another that was a $350 repair, so $650 worth of damage cost me $200. Worth it for me at least.
    edited October 5, 2010
    Where equipment insurance pays off. I think I pay about $20/month with a $100 deductible with State Farm for blanket coverage ($20k I believe) and I've had 2 lenses claimed so far. My 17-40 when I slipped and fell on ice, broke off the at the base $300 repair from Canon, and another that was a $350 repair, so $650 worth of damage cost me $200. Worth it for me at least.

Not a bad idea to look into...
    edited October 9, 2010
    Update:: It's in the mail as of yesterday.. I expect that I should get it on Wednesday...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited October 9, 2010
    Here's hoping for the best ...
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited October 11, 2010