Options

Situation Normal, Butterfly

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited September 8, 2005 in Holy Macro
34549574-L.jpg

34549576-L.jpg

I played with Kelby's book on making posters while the cable was out.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2005
    Nice posters. Nice photographs to start with. It's always been very interesting to me how the juxtaposition of just a few words with an image can change and sometimes enrich the way we look at it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2005
    Thank you, Rutt. That is one area of interest to me: the presentation. I am often interested in how to frame things, I spend a lot of time "titling" my threads, and sometimes I don't.

But the words, yes, they can really be key.

I did the butterfly first, I was in an escapist mood then, so I did that and titled it as an escape. Magical Kingdom was the first thing I thought of, and I wanted to be there, like a child or something, and I added photography, there was not room for more. In the words, less is usually more effective.

The boat, I took that photo the same day, after seeing the dentist downtown. I saw that boat off of the tip of Charleston in a place called the battery: See Global Earth, and you could probably find right where that boat was. I took a few photos.............. I thought blk and white almost immediately.

Rutt, you might be interested to know that that is one photograph where the work up really depended on the use of the black channel in CMYK. It brought out the shadows. I look at that photo and I think of it immediately. And, I just learned that last week from you. So that might be of interest.

ginger (Both photos were easy to work up, not a lot of work involved at all, I knew exactly where I wanted to be and got there easily with the tools I knew about.)
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2005
    Original title, does it change the message?
    I have no time before church, as usual. I do want to add, in case someone comes by again, I e-mailed Rutt that I had posted these photos. He knew that initially and still, I wanted to name the beached boat:

SITUATION NORMAL usa

The addition of the initial USA, I was afraid would be so strong a political statement, or could be seen as such, that I would not be able to post it on as many places. Such as here.

And my dog list. And some people.

I don't know if that addition would change the meaning for anyone, but it does for me. Although that meaning is inherent to me when I look at the photo and the title as is. I was angry when I made up that title, just angry re the situation in the gulf, etc.

So in one photo I expressed my anger, in the other, I escaped to a nicer place........

ginger
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    I've been thinking about "Situation Normal". I don't hink this works as a statement of anger toward the government, though I do like the shot. The metaphor is just too much a stretch. The boat isn't human, and actually, doesn't look to be in that much distress. Actual photojournalism works better for this kind of thing.

Even if you titled the boad shot "SNAFU" it's still a stretch to know exactly why.

Hmm.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I've been thinking about "Situation Normal". I don't hink this works as a statement of anger toward the government, though I do like the shot. The metaphor is just too much a stretch. The boat isn't human, and actually, doesn't look to be in that much distress. Actual photojournalism works better for this kind of thing.

Even if you titled the boad shot "SNAFU" it's still a stretch to know exactly why.

Hmm.
    Thanks for thinking about it, Rutt.

Probably the Magical Kingdom does not really put me in a better place, either.

I was concerned that I would not be able to post it with usa on it, and I did consider SNAFU, but decided that was overdone. I think it is very subtle, and not really anger, just a statement of fact, though not accurate as the boat is just out of the channel at low tide.

I am not really that angry at the govt right now, so it would be difficult to show it. I was just very upset and unhappy when I did those. Not when I took the photos but when I worked them up.

I wanted to work up another butterfly shot, then I decided to use Kelby, I am really liking the smart sharpening and the denoise thing on CS2, they helped with those shots. And the CMYK really helped with the boat which was a bit over exposed. It helped give me the shadows, one big one in particular.

I immediately thought of the escape aspect of the butterfly. It seemed so incongruous with whatever I had been watching on TV. I mean I am quite confused about the world right now, I grew up kind of in a Pollyanna state of mind, and things are not exactly showing me that now. So I was delighted over the butterfly. I was going to name it The Secret Garden, but I had already done that.

Then I just wanted to work up the boat, so I did. SNAFU came to mind, and well, it was more a state of resignation than anger on my part. Subtle and it just mattered to me.

ginger

Thanks again for looking and commenting.
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Is "any" situation normal...anymore? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif:D

Like your posters of late, Ginger.

BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com