Options

Raw Editing in PS CS3?

KevinhooaKevinhooa Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited September 30, 2010 in Finishing School
My workflow with my old Nikon D50 was import Raw images into Lightroom, then Photoshop whatever needed to be fixed or adjusted later. I went to try this with my new Nikon D60 in Photoshop CS3 and for some reason my Raw images are greyed out. Is that right? :dunno I tried some old photos from my D50 and I was able to select them, just not the ones from the new camera. Can CS3 edit Raw photos from a Nikon D60, and mine is just having problems, or do I need to convert everything to Jpegs and edit from there? It's not a huge deal, but I kind of liked the flexiblity in exposure I got with the Raws. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Kevin H. (Owls Flight)

There seems to be less and less garden in this state.

Comments

• Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2010
    First see if there are any updates for CS3. If there are then do the update and see if you can process the D60 raw files.

If not I think CS3 will process a DNG (Digital Negative) files, but I'm not sure. You can download the free DNG converter from adobe.com and convert your raw files to DNG format and process those with CS3. If CS3 doesn't process DNG files you will have to upgrade to a later version of CS..

Kevinhooa wrote: »
    My workflow with my old Nikon D50 was import Raw images into Lightroom, then Photoshop whatever needed to be fixed or adjusted later. I went to try this with my new Nikon D60 in Photoshop CS3 and for some reason my Raw images are greyed out. Is that right? ne_nau.gif I tried some old photos from my D50 and I was able to select them, just not the ones from the new camera. Can CS3 edit Raw photos from a Nikon D60, and mine is just having problems, or do I need to convert everything to Jpegs and edit from there? It's not a huge deal, but I kind of liked the flexiblity in exposure I got with the Raws. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Options
    KevinhooaKevinhooa Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    Thanks for the help Dan. I'll take a look at that converter and do a couple of tests. And even an update might fix the problem. I'll search around.
    Kevin H. (Owls Flight)

There seems to be less and less garden in this state.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 30, 2010
    Kevinhooa wrote: »
    Can CS3 edit Raw photos from a Nikon D60, and mine is just having problems, or do I need to convert everything to Jpegs and edit from there?

No need to convert anything. Just update ACR and it should handle your D60 NEF files. The minimum requirement is ACR 4.4, but ACR 4.6 is the final version available for CS3.