Options

IE9 and color profiles

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited October 2, 2010 in Finishing School
It looks like IE9 supports color profiles in images. Syl Arena tweeted this link to test web browser color profile support earlier today

http://color.org/version4html.xalter

Comments

• Options
    malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    It looks like IE9 supports color profiles in images. Syl Arena tweeted this link to test web browser color profile support earlier today
    [

Yes, it does. However, it also failed to apply the monitor calibration profile. So, it's only half color managed, at least at this (beta) stage.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    IF the display profile isn’t being used, recognized etc, its not a color managed app. Two profiles are always necessary for any conversion (one profile is just like one hand clapping).

It would make far more sense if such an application recognized the display profile, and assumed everything was in sRGB, then images in sRGB would review correctly. But taking the display profile out of the equation does squat.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    arodney wrote: »
    It would make far more sense if such an application recognized the display profile, and assumed everything was in sRGB, then images in sRGB would review correctly. But taking the display profile out of the equation does squat.

I agree wholeheartedly. For example, the Chrome/Chromium browsers can apply the display profile although they do not currently respect embedded ICC's. But at least images in sRGB are displayed correctly. And since the vast majority of my images and those that I view with a browser are in sRGB, it's a pretty workable solution.

IE 9 respects the embedded ICC's but since every image is displayed with incorrect colors, it's completely useless to me.