Yes? No? Maybe?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited October 1, 2010 in People
Here is my latest attempt at strobes. Again, two AB400s, one CL and the other CR. CL was Key. I first took a couple shot with just the key until I felt it was good. Then added the fill, going through a progression of shot, chimp, adjust power... until it looked good. Not sure if my perception of good is actually bad though.

I must say though, I think some of these will end up printed and in my wallet. I caught her just before she was going to take a swim in our pool. We decided since she was in her bathing suit, we go for something a little risqué. Do the poses work?

1028253246_CMpHk-X2.jpg

As before, this is an exercise in improving my portrait and strobe skills so CC is very welcome. :D

EDIT: Remove the last two photos due some of the comments. Don't want to offend anyone ;D
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• ows4428ows4428 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    Good job on these, the lighting looks well done.

In #1 you can see a small "light" by her left ear, most likely an earring or something. My eyes keep focusing on that, when they really should be focusing on everything else. That's the only very minor thing that I saw though.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    Thanks. Yeah, that's one of her earings. Funny thing is I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. Now I can't stop looking at it. We'll take care of that.

My Smug Site
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Super attractive wifey, but I am not crazy over the pose. I will admit I don't like the spred legs look.

The photography is fine, but I think she deserves images that are classier? or more artistic.

I would keep her though................:D

Sam
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    Sam wrote: »
    Super attractive wifey, but I am not crazy over the pose. I will admit I don't like the spred legs look.

The photography is fine, but I think she deserves images that are classier? or more artistic.

Sam

Thanks Sam. Interesting. You find them a little raunchy. I knew the pose was a little racy but not trashy. Could be that I'm from LA. Maybe that is the reason for such few comments. People are too embarassed to say anything??? headscratch.gif

My Smug Site
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    Crop the first one right below her elbows. The other two......sorry that pose is not a winner.
    She is so pretty, get her out and shoot her for real.

Tell the truth now.....does she know you posted these on the internet :) !!!!!!!!!????????

Oh and yeah, the lighting looks fine.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    Well I think the lighting is fine and I like your approach for dialing it in so I will try that next time.
    As for the pose, I'm from Cali also and I don't find them to be "trashy" at all...more like playful to my eyes......

With a wife this gorgeous it's not hard to get a wide range of poses that will appeal to different tastes or photographic styles.
    You can easily go from sultry and classy to playful and risqué and everything in between....
    Well done!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    zoomer wrote: »
    Crop the first one right below her elbows. The other two......sorry that pose is not a winner.
    She is so pretty, get her out and shoot her for real.

Tell the truth now.....does she know you posted these on the internet :) !!!!!!!!!????????

Oh and yeah, the lighting looks fine.

Again, thanks for the help. I wouldn't post them without her consent. I'm quite suprised you guys find these so trashy. She's in one piece bathing suit. I've seen a lot trashier on billboards at the mall. Sorry if you guys found them offensive though.

In light of the comments so far, I may take these down. Hate to turn more people off.

My Smug Site
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    I like that first one! I think the pose makes her look short in the second and third. Nice lighting. Her expression is really cute in that first shot, too.
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Well I think the lighting is fine and I like your approach for dialing it in so I will try that next time.
    As for the pose, I'm from Cali also and I don't find them to be "trashy" at all...more like playful to my eyes......

With a wife this gorgeous it's not hard to get a wide range of poses that will appeal to different tastes or photographic styles.
    You can easily go from sultry and classy to playful and risqué and everything in between....
    Well done!

Glad I'm not alone here. That is exactly how we both see them and exactly the mood while were shooting them... Playful and risqué.

Also glad to hear that the lighting is better. After all, that has been the purpose behind these.

My Smug Site
    I like that first one! I think the pose makes her look short in the second and third. Nice lighting. Her expression is really cute in that first shot, too.

Thanks Caroline. She is short... 5'2" to be exact. But I definitely don't want her to look squatty which I think is what you mean. Is it the pose or the angle I shot from?

My Smug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    it is bit racy but fun. I am okay with it. I like the light in these except her legs look a bit pale compared to her upper body. A slight vignette would help keep the eyes away from the legs.

But you definitely need MORE lighting practice...something more moody! *cough* GF *cough*
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    Qarik wrote: »
    it is bit racy but fun. I am okay with it. I like the light in these except her legs look a bit pale compared to her upper body. A slight vignette would help keep the eyes away from the legs.

But you definitely need MORE lighting practice...something more moody! *cough* GF *cough*

Thanks Daniel. Now that you mention the leg thing, I agree. I will try to tone them down. Should be an easy fix. I agree I do need more practice and it's been a while since I've done something moody so it may happen.

BTW, I just ordered a light meter and also some wireless triggers. I've been shooting with the sync chord and it has driven me nuts. I get all tangled up. Almost knocked one of my strobes over last night.

I will give her a break until I get the meter which should be a few days. :D

My Smug Site
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    Sam wrote: »

Sam

What he said!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    Just to be clear, I do not find these trashy in any way.
    I just don't like the pose, please do not take this comment as a criticism of your posing abilities, I realize these are just lighting test shots. With a lady this pretty get her out in some flattering poses and have a great time making her look great in the photos. I realize these are just lighting test shots and should not be considered examples of your overall portrait taking abilities......so please don't take my comments as criticism in any way.

I just asked because some of the photos guys post of their wives on the internet make me wonder, and I can't imagine the wives endorse most of them ha.
    edited October 1, 2010
    zoomer wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I do not find these trashy in any way.
    I just don't like the pose, please do not take this comment as a criticism of your posing abilities, I realize these are just lighting test shots. With a lady this pretty get her out in some flattering poses and have a great time making her look great in the photos. I realize these are just lighting test shots and should not be considered examples of your overall portrait taking abilities......so please don't take my comments as criticism in any way.

I just asked because some of the photos guys post of their wives on the internet make me wonder, and I can't imagine the wives endorse most of them ha.

Zoomer... no worries. I didn't take any offense by your comments. Actually, I appreciated your candid feedback. Thanks for clarifying though and you're welcome to critique the poses as well since I find it more of a challenge to pose than anything else. I should video tape our sessions since half the time my wife is cracking up laughing at me when I try to demonstrate the pose I want her to do. HAHA

I also agree about the stuff that get's posted on the net. Its odd because in most cases, my wife and I are quite conservative. However, we are both pretty comfortable in our own skin and neither have problems with nudity, etc. I guess it all depends on the context. If I were to guess, at least 10K people have seen me naked over my lifetime. I surf and stripping down naked on the side of Pacific Coast Highway to get in and out of my wetsuit is almost a ritual. rolleyes1.gif

My Smug Site