Best Bang for Buck Laptop...

rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
edited October 16, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Hi all,
I am looking to replace my laptop with is a Dell Inspiron I6400. It has a T2300 processor running at 1.66GHz., 2G of ram and an ATI Mobility Radeon X1400.
I run Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 3.0 on this laptop and while it is not a speed demon by any means, but it works ok. My daughter needs a computer and I am thinking about giving her the Dell and getting another laptop.
I am looking at this one, Amazon.com: ASUS A52F-X3 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black): Computer & Accessories
<table class="tborder" style="margin: 10px 0pt;" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="425"> <thead> <tr> <td class="tcat" colspan="2" style="text-align: center;"> Amazon.com: ASUS A52F-X3 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black): Computer & Accessories </td> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr> <td class="panelsurround" align="center"> 41iDo0HDhbL._SL175_.jpg
Amazon.com: ASUS A52F-X3 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black): Computer & Accessories </td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

Again, it is no speed demon, but is much newer and faster than my old one. My only real concern is the lack of a dedicated graphics card.
I really cannot afford anymore than this, so I am just wondering what your thoughts may be.

Thanks, Ron
"The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    ront wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am looking to replace my laptop with is a Dell Inspiron I6400. It has a T2300 processor running at 1.66GHz., 2G of ram and an ATI Mobility Radeon X1400.
    I run Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 3.0 on this laptop and while it is not a speed demon by any means, but it works ok. My daughter needs a computer and I am thinking about giving her the Dell and getting another laptop.
    I am looking at this one, Amazon.com: ASUS A52F-X3 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black): Computer & Accessories
    <table class="tborder" style="margin: 10px 0pt;" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="425"> <thead> <tr> <td class="tcat" colspan="2" style="text-align: center;"> Amazon.com: ASUS A52F-X3 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black): Computer & Accessories </td> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr> <td class="panelsurround" align="center"> 41iDo0HDhbL._SL175_.jpg
    Amazon.com: ASUS A52F-X3 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black): Computer & Accessories </td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

Again, it is no speed demon, but is much newer and faster than my old one. My only real concern is the lack of a dedicated graphics card.
    I really cannot afford anymore than this, so I am just wondering what your thoughts may be.

Thanks, Ron

Being that school has just gotten back off the ground for college folk, it may not be the best time to buy.

My thoughts would be that it is incredibly dated. I say that because we already know of many, many more powerful machines. The problem with more power is, all the software folks like to then use it up!

However the reviews at Amazon seem to like it. A dedicated graphics card would be nice, but all niceties on laptops cost!

Any of the core-i stuff will work wonders on LR3 compared to your old one..think healing brush!
    tom wise
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2010
    Check out MicroCenter. They've got low-priced laptops, all the name brands, from like $300 that perform well. They don't have very many stores across the country, but I think you can order online. Just don't buy their MicroCenter-branded memory cards: I've had a bunch and a lot of them have failed!

http://www.microcenter.com