Options

The Bulk Gallery Download Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    I'm sorry you're upset about this, and sorry you feel that way :( Fact is, we're getting raves for it. And it's being used, a lot. I do thank you for your feedback, John.

We're going to continue to respond to customer requests and bring new features out.
    I'm not upset, I just have a higher bar for how good something should be before it's released and you seemed to disagree so we had a discussion. Please don't implement a reset button. The software should just do the right thing and make a new ZIP when needed.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    Allen wrote: »
    headscratch.gif Two people want a different set of photos, not all of them. Suppose it is a
    multiple family outing and each family only wants photos of their family.

Right, ok. At the current time, Al, I'm sorry the download all button only downloads, well, them all :D

You can always make a new gallery and collect what ever photos you want for a client, or make a smart gallery for them, and then use the download feature from that gallery thumb.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    I am not sure that this multiple people and new photos being a big problem. There is a reasonable work around and in my work flow it is already built in. Since the Bulk Gallery Download is able to work on Collected and Smart galleries why not just use those to generate the differences needed. When I did my transmittal to the PR firm, I created a Collected Gallery and sent the link to the gallery to them to review that I got all the images they wanted collected. Once they said yes, I triggered the Bulk Gallery Download. So doing the same thing for the different family sets or adding new ones to the existing gallery. Just collect a new gallery and trigger a new Bulk Download. No waiting for Support Heroes if there is a time constraint.

I know that to some it will seem as a work around. I see it as a way for the recipient to review that they are getting the images they are going to receive before downloading a typically large file.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2010
    I am not sure that I understand how multiple people and new photos being a big problem. There is a reasonable work around and in my work flow it is already built in. Since the Bulk Gallery Download is able to work on Collected and Smart galleries why not just use those to generate the differences needed. When I did my transmittal to the PR firm, I created a Collected Gallery and sent the link to the gallery to them to review that I got all the images they wanted collected. Once they said yes, I triggered the Bulk Gallery Download. So doing the same thing for the different family sets or adding new ones to the existing gallery. Just collect a new gallery and trigger a new Bulk Download. No waiting for Support Heroes if there is a time constraint.

I know that to some it will seem as a work around. I see it as a way for the recipient to review that they are getting the images they are going to receive before downloading a typically large file.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    I didn't think I'd need such a feature, but I've found it's a really handy way for the other photographers I work with to get me their originals for backup. thumb.gif

The only thing I've found different so far is that the files don't retain the original date/time stamp. I know due to the way the files are processed this may not be possible, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one that would like this addition to the feature. headscratch.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    I've started to use this feature as opposed to AlbumFetcher to get copies of my originals as part of my weekly process to compare my Smugmug archive with my memory cards before I delete them. thumb.gif

But I've run into a problem. A lot of times the 1gb+ files will abruptly stop downloading. They just stop and I have to restart them from the beginning. ne_nau.gif I've found that using wget versus a browser is more reliable, but I've even seen wget just stop.

I have four currently active links totalling about 5gb in zips that took quite a few tries to get downloaded. I tried different computers to see if that was an issue, and different browsers. I even set up a test scenario where the only thing running on the computer was wget and the download. ne_nau.gif

I haven't had a chance to try it on a different Internet connection yet, but I do have three 25/5 cable modems here and I would watch to see which one was being used, and it happened on different modems too. ne_nau.gif

This problem doesn't bother me too much as I'm still downloading my originals faster than any other method (even if it is 6 attempts like on one of the files), but I wanted to see if anyone else has had issues like this.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    Okay, got some more info on the problem. A "403 Forbidden" http response is given by the server if you let the stalled upload sit long enough in wget. In FF, it just aborts and allows you to retry. Starting attempt number 7...
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    Have you thought about doing a smart galleries to make the galleries smaller on download? So just create a rule that finds the last week's pictures and then download them? I use a collection gallery for that in hotels with s l o w c o n n e c t i o n speeds
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited November 13, 2010
    Have you thought about doing a smart galleries to make the galleries smaller on download? So just create a rule that finds the last week's pictures and then download them? I use a collection gallery for that in hotels with s l o w c o n n e c t i o n speeds
    Unfortunately, that wouldn't work for what I'm trying to do. I upload my images to galleries which I sort and manipulate via rotation and such, and a rotated image, even when re-rotated to the original orientation is still a different image from the original in an bit-by-bit comparision. So I upload all the days photos to a single archive gallery and leave it untouched. These images are bit-by-bit the exact same as the original when downloaded and compared to the originals. These galleries are the 3rd backup of these images in addition to the two local copies which I keep on separate hard drives. I guess the published version of the image is a 4th backup, but I don't count that. (If you're interested in my backup history and methodology, check out this thread:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=156472.)

I'm downloading my archive gallery for a particular day, which is usually 1000-2000 images for comparison to the originals on the cards before wiping them clean for the weekend of shooting. I used to use AlbumFetcher, but it doesn't saturate the download pipes I have, so it takes time. This new zip method is ultra-fast, but having to retry a download 11 times like I did for the last one is a bit tedious, albeit still faster than the old way.
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2010
    SamirD wrote: »
    Okay, got some more info on the problem. A "403 Forbidden" http response is given by the server if you let the stalled upload sit long enough in wget. In FF, it just aborts and allows you to retry. Starting attempt number 7...
    Still getting these errors. Attempt #3 starting...
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2010
    SamirD wrote: »
    Still getting these errors. Attempt #3 starting...

Please write our Support Heroes if the problem persists. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2010
    Please write our Support Heroes if the problem persists. Thank you.
    Will do. So I'm the only one? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2010
    The way I've found to get around this issue is to use wget and the -T switch to adjust the timeout to something like 5 seconds from the default of 900. This will trigger wget to resume the download from where it broke almost as soon as it breaks.

The reason the download breaks is probably the same reason any large (1gb+) file breaks when downloading via http. And this has been a problem from the beginning of the Internet with large http downloads--it's just not reliable. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    The software should just do the right thing and make a new ZIP when needed.
    Now that I've run across the scenario when I requested a zip too early (got one before I was finished uploading for the day), I agree with John. Time to make a feature request? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    R.LeonardoR.Leonardo Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2010
    I made a change to my album but am stuck with the old link/.zip file; unable to generate a new one. :(
    R. Leonardo
    www.RobArtPhoto.com
    Whether he is an artist or not, the photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts. -Walker Evans
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2010
    R.Leonardo wrote: »
    I made a change to my album but am stuck with the old link/.zip file; unable to generate a new one. :(

Hi, just like I've said above :D Please write our Support Heroes and we'll expire the old one for you. No worries!
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2010
    Did that Andy.
    Just feels like I am bugging you guys on something so trivial... and in this case, my fault.

Thanks.
    R. Leonardo
    www.RobArtPhoto.com
    Whether he is an artist or not, the photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts. -Walker Evans
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2010
    Maybe there should be an auto expire....when one gets the email to retrieve the zip and they click the link to
    download the zip...it auto expires with in 24 or 48 hours.....I have purchsed software that had auto expire
    download links.......just a suggestion............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 24, 2010
    Putting the power to delete or expire the previous .zip file in the hands of the user would be better-- if possible.
    R. Leonardo
    www.RobArtPhoto.com
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2010
    R.Leonardo wrote: »
    Putting the power to delete or expire the previous .zip file in the hands of the user would be better-- if possible.

Yup, we noted that also. I just want to get you fixed up right away so please email us thank you :)
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Maybe there should be an auto expire....when one gets the email to retrieve the zip and they click the link to
    download the zip...it auto expires with in 24 or 48 hours.....I have purchsed software that had auto expire
    download links.......just a suggestion............

Art, they expire in 2 weeks. Sooner is too soon for this usage. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2010
    Yup, we noted that also.
    Thanks Andy. Good to know it's on the radar. thumb.gif
  • Options
    LinhLinh Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Are you going to enable this for visitors, directly, without my internvention?
    Who knows what the future will bring? But if we do, you'll know about it. It will respect your gallery settings, so if you have either right-click protection on, or Originals blocked, or both, the option won't be there for visitors.

If folks want this, please vote for it: http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1104583-a-bulk-gallery-download-button-for-my-clients
    vote on the following smugmug feedback:
    CSS Block To Flow Down To Children Folders/Pages/Galleries
    [URL="http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1104583-a-bulk-
    gallery-download-button-for-my-visitors"]bulk download option for clients[/URL]
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2011
    Some folks asked for the size of the zipfile to be mentioned in the emails - we now do that.