First Timer

TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
edited October 2, 2010 in People
Hello Everyone, I am very new to all of this and am looking for some C&C's and advice.

I want to learn how to get that angellic skin tone without an overprocessed look, to mask the capillaries in her skin. Any tips? This was shot (the one second I could get her to hold still, lol) in natural light in my friends living room with a 50mm 1.8, just for fun.

1029576028_WkSmo-L.jpg
Canon Fan

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    Really nice shot. Lighting is really nice. Eyes are wonderfully sharp and clear, catch-lights are great. I would probably crop it a little tighter... actually to portrait orientation.

As for the skin, I think it's fine. However, you can try to copy into a new layer mask. Then apply Gaussian Blur filter and use Screen as blending mode. You can then adjust the opacity to your liking and mask out the eyes and hair from this layer.

There are other methods as well... like using the healing brush but that takes more time.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    Ahh, I have tried the Gaussian Blur before on other shots but missed the part about using 'Screen' as the blending mode. Maybe that's why every time I tried it has come out too 'fake' looking for my taste. Thanks so much!
    Canon Fan
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    Ahh, I have tried the Gaussian Blur before on other shots but missed the part about using 'Screen' as the blending mode. Maybe that's why every time I tried it has come out too 'fake' looking for my taste. Thanks so much!

No worries. You can also try some of the other blending modes. One thing though, the photo needs to be bright to use screen. This one should work pretty well.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    I concur with AC, this is a great shot, just change the orientation of it.
    I use dynamic skin softener from Color Efex Pro with CNX2 but there is a plug-in available for Adobe CSx. It gives great control over the amount of detail you would like to retain and is much easier than creating layers as it only effects skin tones as you choose them via eyedropper.
    You can try it for free for thirty days from Nik Sfotware.
    She's such a little angel by the way.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited October 1, 2010
    The reason I didn't originally crop it was because I loved the little shoulder poofs on her shirt, and to include those the crop came out too square and I thought it looked funny. Which of the below crops do you think works best? And again, thanks for the opinions guys!!!
    1029728252_3CZDw-M.jpg 1029728254_xwrgd-M.jpg
    Canon Fan
    edited October 1, 2010
    Probably the one on the right as it's closer to a 4:5 ratio.
    I have an example of the skin softener if you don't mind me reposting your image here.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited October 1, 2010
    sure
    Canon Fan
    edited October 1, 2010
    The default setting may be a bit much but as you can see it was a simple as placing the dropper on the area you want effected. Also take a look at the control sliders on the right to get an idea of what kind of control you can have.
    Simple and fast:

1029743174_zhwmZ-L.png
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited October 1, 2010
    Oops, I just realized that the dropper did not show on her cheek.
    I placed it right in the middle of her right cheek.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited October 1, 2010
    ^^ I really like that! I will look more into that skin softner plugin, thanks!!
    Canon Fan
    edited October 1, 2010
    They have three different versions depending on how much you want bundled.
    Color Efex Pro 3

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa/entry.php

Also I forgot to mention I touched up the small blemish like imperfection over her right eyebrow with the heal tool :-)
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    They have three different versions depending on how much you want bundled.
    Color Efex Pro 3

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa/entry.php

Also I forgot to mention I touched up the small blemish like imperfection over her right eyebrow with the heal tool :-)

I like the skin soft ware and the way you used it here.

I prefer the crop on the left. I think you have to be careful cropping with small children because it's easy to lose the context. They're small. And when you crop to the point that they fill the frame, they're not small anymore. I like the original crop and the poofy sleeves. Math, smath.
    edited October 2, 2010
    Haha, thanks Sara, I agree as well on the crop, but I am a newbie so what do I know? But am very happy for all the input and opportunity to learn from everyone here!
    Canon Fan
    edited October 2, 2010
    sara505 wrote: »
    I like the skin soft ware and the way you used it here.

I prefer the crop on the left. I think you have to be careful cropping with small children because it's easy to lose the context. They're small. And when you crop to the point that they fill the frame, they're not small anymore. I like the original crop and the poofy sleeves. Math, smath.

You bring up some interesting points indeed :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo