My third green flash!

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited October 2, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Yesterday we had some lovely clouds so I went to my nearby vista to get a chance of shooting something different than models;-)

There was pretty much no post-sunset light whatsoever, but I got my third (and best ever:-) green flash, and, man, was I ready for it!

1030000404_UtL9Q-XL.jpg

Enjoy!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited October 2, 2010
    Very cool. It almost looks like a nuclear explosion. Hmm...come to think of it, it is. lol3.gif
  • JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Had to google it and have to give you even more credit. For something that only lasts 1-2 seconds, this makes this even more than an amazing capture. Kudos to you for catching 3!

thumb.gif
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Howdy Nik,

That is stunning, I've only had the chance one time in my life
    to see the "Green Flash" and you've not only seen it 3 times
    but were able to capture it beautifully.

We were on a Cruise many years ago , and the Captain actually made an announcement
    while we were all at Dinner that if you wanted to see a "Green Flash" you
    had about 3-4 mins, everyone looked at each other in wonder, but figured if the "Stern" Captain thought it was important enough to announce we'd better go. Sure enough, just at the last possible second before the Sun disappeared below the Horizon, a
    Green Flash that looked like a green Vapor appeared for only seconds, and it looked exactly like your beautiful image.

Very nicely done, and it was a neat reminder for my Wife and I of that wonderful event.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Excellent payoff for being ready thumb.gif Very nice Nikolai
    Michael
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Very nice shot. I also had to google the Green Flash. 3rd time is very cool.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Thank you guys, appreciate the comments!

Just for the fun of it, here are 100% of all three captures in chronological order. As it's easy to see, I progressed a bit;-)

Green flash #1: 2007-09-22 - just got Canon 40D. 70-200/2.8L IS at 140mm:

199094093_JtdX5-L.jpg

Green flash #2: 2008-01-09 - also Canon 40D, same lens at 200mm:

241745377_McYyd-L.jpg

Green flash #3: 2010-10-01 - Canon 7D + 100-400 at 400mm

1030816027_8YMMJ-O-1.jpg

And yes, those green bastards are next to impossible to predict (the atmosphere should be exceptionally clean and still - that's why majority of sightings happen in the open sea) and hard to catch due to a just 1-2 seconds display. Gotta be persistent and a bit lucky location wise. I happen to have a line of site to the Pacific horizon, which is, due to my vantage point elevation, somewhat 70..100 miles away (the federal building on the first shot is 40 miles away).
    "May the f/stop be with you!"