Working on my lighting

BrooklyndesertBrooklyndesert Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited October 3, 2010 in People
Shot this a few days ago. Part of a series of local radio on-air staff. They wanted images they could silhouette. I'm working on my studio lighting and would appreciate comments and suggestions.

I used two Broncolor 1600 w lights with one large softbox and one small for fill.

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    I don't quite understand what the intended use is for this shot. You mention silhouette but this is not one. The crop is quite odd... is it supposed to look like she's leaning against a wall? Lighting is a bit hot and shadows are really harsh. Looks more like unmodified light than softboxes. How far were lights setup from her? Need to bring it in a bit closer maybe and turn down the key a bit. Also, bump your fill just a tad.

Aside from that stuff, I think the pose is nice, the model is quite pretty and she has a very pleasant smile.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    Definitely the balamce of key to fill light is a off to my eyes. Unless you meant to do that for a purpose.
    Skin tones look great I must say
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • BrooklyndesertBrooklyndesert Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    I don't quite understand what the intended use is for this shot. You mention silhouette but this is not one. The crop is quite odd... is it supposed to look like she's leaning against a wall? Lighting is a bit hot and shadows are really harsh. Looks more like unmodified light than softboxes. How far were lights setup from her? Need to bring it in a bit closer maybe and turn down the key a bit. Also, bump your fill just a tad.

Aside from that stuff, I think the pose is nice, the model is quite pretty and she has a very pleasant smile.

Thanks, I was trying to post several photos but screwed it up and only got this one online. I tend to be good with people (ie. making them comfortable in front of the camera) but need to improve my lighting. I appreciate your comments.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    I think the transition from shade to light is to sharp. There may also be some PP affecting this as well.

I find the pose to be a little off............she is gripping her bicep to hard, and the stance just look off. Maybe to masculine for such a beautiful face? Or perhaps the hands look large??

Sam
    edited October 2, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Definitely the balamce of key to fill light is a off to my eyes. Unless you meant to do that for a purpose.
    Skin tones look great I must say

Thanks, no it wasn't on purpose. I'm more comfortable with outdoor, natural light and I'm working to learn indoor, studio lighting.

I definitely appreciate all comments. Much obliged.
    edited October 2, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    I think the transition from shade to light is to sharp. There may also be some PP affecting this as well.

I find the pose to be a little off............she is gripping her bicep to hard, and the stance just look off. Maybe to masculine for such a beautiful face? Or perhaps the hands look large??

Sam

Sam, thanks for your input. She's a real "tomboy" and is a competitive athlete. She has muscles on top of her muscles. But this shot was the softest of the batch. I toned this down in PP so that probably did accentuate the transition from light to shade. Again, thank you, I appreciate the comments.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    I don't care much about the lighting on this one, but WHY on earth a beautiful blond female is striking a typical "macho" male pose? eek7.gifheadscratch.gifdunno
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited October 3, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    I don't care much about the lighting on this one, but WHY on earth a beautiful blond female is striking a typical "macho" male pose? eek7.gifheadscratch.gifdunno

Maybe she's a tough one?

Perhaps that is what looked off to me on the pose. headscratch.gif
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Maybe she's a tough one?

Perhaps that is what looked off to me on the pose. headscratch.gif
    Laughing.gif
    I do teach posing. Hopefully if this PTL comes to life, you'd learn them, too:-)mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited October 3, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Laughing.gif
    I do teach posing. Hopefully if this PTL comes to life, you'd learn them, too:-)mwink.gif

That would be awesome...I know nothing more that the feminine and masculine tilt. :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo