Newbie's Maternity Pictures.

ShutterStaciShutterStaci Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited October 3, 2010 in People
Alright, so I'm still a newb. A friend and I decided to do some maternity photos. This is about 2 weeks before her 3rd trimester. Mind you, this is in my dining room with no studio or lighting equipment nor a good editing program. Alright, bring on some critique.

1.5043563476_8d718e6899.jpg

2.5042938153_7b3df9c02c.jpg

3.5043561810_da3c320fd4.jpg

4.5043560918_97b235e679.jpg

5.5042935249_2191578da4.jpg

6.5042932113_2222497c3c.jpg

7. (and the typical)
5042932819_6aa679bbc4.jpg
Nikon D5000
Nikon P80
Nikkor 22-300 VR
Nikkor 18-55 VR

Comments

• tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    I really like the idea of nr. 4.

I am not a pro, but here is my opinions. Sorry if I am harsh...
    The other photos looks like snap-shots. The black background does not really work. If the model was placed further away from it, and more DOF, it would me more blurred out and it would have looked better. Now it just look like a black sheet with lots of wrinkles.

It also look like you have used flash, directly on the model. Flash bouncing off a wall or celing would look better. Even natural light could work for shots like these.

In # 2 you can not really see her belly.
    # 5 look overexposed and the colors look off.
    # 6 the colors look off
    #7 a thighter crop would work better I think

Photos like this is not easy, believe me I am struggeling too. Have done three maternity shots so far, and it is hard work.

Good luck and keep on practising! thumb.gif
    http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
    Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm
  • ShutterStaciShutterStaci Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Yeah, my only issues with that is I literally just used extra black and white curtains so I couldn't take her further away from the background because then you would see the carpet. I agree 4 looks super blurred but with just hanging lighting from the dining room I really couldn't do much with the lighting. Also, I don't have an external flash unit. I prefer outdoor shots and natural lighting until I can learn my camera a little bit better for the indoor ones.
    Nikon D5000
    Nikon P80
    Nikkor 22-300 VR
    Nikkor 18-55 VR
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Advanced
    Once you get the hang of your camera, buy a speedlight and turn the flash onboard your camera off. Those are the most unflattering sources of light.
    There is a huge learning curve to lighting a photograph. Keep reading everything you can here at Dgrin. I have watched many new photographers advance over the years by learning and participation here.

Also, the last photo - some photography trends are like fashion. Selective coloring is one of those that went the way of the mullet haircut. It's not used much if at all now.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    You can use bedsheets to cover the floor. I have a portable background system that I got for $120, and I started off just using inexpensive king size flat sheets for backdrops and floor. I shoot with Nikon, so I take advantage of the ability to use the flashes remotely. It makes a world of difference! Until you can get a flash to use off camera it will be extremely difficult to get good studio style results.
  • ShutterStaciShutterStaci Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Selective coloring is one of those that went the way of the mullet haircut. It's not used much if at all now.

Ahh! Well how embarrassing to post a "photographic mullet" haha I'll be sure to stay away from that. Thanks for the heads up.
    Nikon D5000
    Nikon P80
    Nikkor 22-300 VR
    Nikkor 18-55 VR
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    Ahh! Well how embarrassing to post a "photographic mullet" haha I'll be sure to stay away from that. Thanks for the heads up.
    Heyyyy
    People say I have a mullet headscratch.gif
    Actually my hair is just thinning out....

I think you did good for what you had to work with, ie; the backdrops and on board flash....

However that being said, and with the limitations you have, might I suggest a re-shoot outdoors with natural lighting....

I/m sure you'll get far better results that way :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo