A Rich Mans Toy

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited October 8, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
That's what the Mercer line of autos was called.....a rich mans toy. And that they were. You could buy 5 or 6 Fords for the price of one of these.
The one you see here is a 1912 Mercer 35C Raceabout. That was a very apt name as virtually all of the Mercers would see track time at some point in their life.

The car was the inspiration of the Roebling family, headed up by Washington Roebling. They had made their money in industrial endeavors and cars were simply a passion of theirs. But they had to be great cars, and that they certainly were. They were named Mercer after Mercer County in NJ where the production plant was located.

All of their cars were sold on a special order basis only. And their production was sold out for years in advance. Notice in particular the huge, single headlight located right on top of the dashboard. Typical for the time, it was an acetylene light fed by the Prest-O-Lite tank on the running board. Note also the small, circular " windshield " mounted right in front of the steering wheel on the steering column. Quite interesting stuff.

Unfortunately, Washington Roebling went down with the Titanic and the rest of the family lost interest in producing the car.

1030880509_PUXWg-XL.jpg

1030867921_AheKL-XL.jpg

1030868457_7qUkP-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    That is so cool, and thanks for the background. When I was a kid, my grandfather gave me a bunch of calendars with realistic illustrations of classics for each month. This was one of them. I used to draw them, and remember all the goodies on the driver side. That, and I remember the name 'Mercer' too. Thanks!

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Hi Tom,

Very cool car. Thanks for its interesting history..
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Nice job Tom, up to your usual standard! Great pics and interesting details/facts about your subject! Your comments about the acetylene lamps remind me of the same device I once saw on a restored 1925 Voisin here on The Right Coast back in 2002. Those things would burn pretty bright in fact. I can just about remember them from when I was a kid (why, when I was a boy…) In fact if you look in the same gallery there are some pictures of a black Mercer "runabout" right next to those of the Voisin.
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    WOW TOM .. another really neat carthumb.gif .... Isn't this the same Roebling that built the Brooklyn Bridge. I think Washington was the one that oversaw all the const. from start to finish.....
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Hey Walter,

I believe every book, calendar, etc. that was ever dedicated to historic autos has at least one Mercer highlighted. They were fabulous cars....sort of the Corvettes of their time. Thanks for looking in.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited October 2, 2010
    Good to hear from you Anthony. I appreciate you checking in.

Tom
    edited October 2, 2010
    Hi Wil,

Thanks for the kind words. I've only seen one of these acetylene lights " in action " and you're right....they are bright. It was around 1914 - 1915 that they started giving way to electrics.

Tom
    edited October 2, 2010
    Hey Gary,

You're correct about the Roeblings and their involvement with the Brooklyn Bridge. I've often wondered what direction the Mercer cars would have taken if Washington had not died when he did. Thanks for the nice comment.

Take care,

Tom
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    Morning Tom,

Another great series on a beautiful and neat car, Love all the details about it's History.

Very Nicely Done.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • KevinhooaKevinhooa Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    Very cool, I didn't know about these. Was this part of the family related to the Roeblings that did the steel cable work in Florence, NJ?
    Kevin H. (Owls Flight)

There seems to be less and less garden in this state.
    edited October 4, 2010
    Yo Craig,

It's not too hard to love these Mercers. They were a real class act. I'm glad you enjoyed this series.

Tom
    edited October 4, 2010
    Hi Kevin,

Yes, it was the same group of Roeblings that was responsible for the car and the cables. Washington Roebling was the leader of the bunch. It was his dedication and desire that led to the development of the Mercer. A lot of Washington's character is evident in the car he created.

Thanks for looking in,

Tom
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 4, 2010
    Great pics and story of an amazing car, Tom. Is that typical for cars in this period to have the steering wheel on the right side? That little round windshield and big singular headlight right in your vision makes me wonder what the heck were they thinking. :giggle
    edited October 4, 2010
    Hey Joel,

Thanks for the kind words. It was typical in those days to have the driver placed on the right-hand side. The thinking was that the driver, from that position, would have a better view of obsticles along the side of the road. Eventually, the prospect of giving the driver a greater line-of-sight look down the road prompted the move of the driver over to the left side of the vehicle.This, of course, is in consideration of the fact that the U.S. drives on the right.

I'm with you on the placement of that big headlight. I can't imagine what prompted them to put it there. The little circular windshield, though odd, is a little more understandable.

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Oh darn...I wanted to see the "rich man" too :D

I would definitely have to wear a nice scarf riding in that machine :D
    edited October 4, 2010
    Hi Mary,

This was certainly open-air riding at its best....or worst, depending on how many bugs and mud you could tolerate. It's no wonder that the folks who rode in these cars were covered head to foot with riding apparel. Hell, I'd buy all that garb just for a chance to hit the road in this thing.

Take care,

Tom
    edited October 4, 2010
    Hey Steve,

To snare one of these cars today would require a pretty sizable cache of gold. To get one in this condition, you need a really big cache. I've seen a few Mercers....none any better than this one.

Thanks for looking in,

Tom
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Thanks Tom :D Aside from getting to see these autos you've pictured I also
    got to extend into the reading. Always interesting and informative. I ended
    up spending quite a bit of time on the Titanic too. Seems the last surviving
    passenger has passed on and a new book revealed a possible steering issue
    executed by the helm at the time.
    Michael
    edited October 6, 2010
    Hey Michael,

As always, it's good to hear from your quarters. I, too, have read about that steering issue you mention relative to the Titanic. It's possible the collision with the iceberg could well have been avoided. Even a straight-on collision would have been preferable to what actually happened.

Take care,

Tom
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    headscratch.gif Why am I thinking of tractors!!??rolleyes1.gif Maybe it's just a design concept that has been misplaced??!! Still, it does look quite like a Mars Rover, so I shouldn't be too chauvinistic about the past. I think I could pass listening to this start up, or feel it go up through the gears, though.mwink.gif And how come this all male automobile industry didn't yet realise already what you could do with shiny curvaceous fenders reflecting shiny curvaceous models to sell 'em? Women were taking most of their clothes off in public by 1912, weren't they?eek7.gif Maybe not...

But these are beautiful pics, Tom! Crispness and clarity are magnificent!thumb.gif

Speaking of toys (and I mentioned elsewhere my Renault), how bout this very toyable thing:

http://theage.drive.com.au/photogallery/renault-dezir-concept/20100706-zybl.html?selectedImage=0

Never seen a tractor like this!mwink.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix