Hand-Forged, Japanese Knives

eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
edited October 3, 2010 in People
I thought you might like to see some Photos from my latest photo shoot at Knifewear.
Knifewear is a local Hand-Forged, Japanese Knives shop in Calgary Alberta Canada. Link: http://www.knifewear.com/
This is my second shoot at Knifewear Calgary with different Japanese Knife makers. This shoot is featuring Shibata san and Kato san of Masakage knives. Enjoy the photos and please feel free to comment on the photos.
(1)
1031975692_7VPAK-XL.jpg
(2)
1032010870_sfUWY-XL.jpg
(3)
1031963356_rfKMS-XL.jpg
(4)
1031988293_8AQuq-XL.jpg
(5)
1031974103_euYph-XL.jpg
(6)
1031965238_v7f9C-XL.jpg

I like this one 3 votes

0%
33%
Art Scott 1 vote
0%
33%
met 1 vote
33%
Macushla 1 vote
0%

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    eyeguy wrote: »
    I thought you might like to see some Photos from my latest photo shoot at Knifewear.
    Knifewear is a local Hand-Forged, Japanese Knives shop in Calgary Alberta Canada. Link: http://www.knifewear.com/
    This is my second shoot at Knifewear Calgary with different Japanese Knife makers. This shoot is featuring Shibata san and Kato san of Masakage knives. Enjoy the photos and please feel free to comment on the photos.

Hi Dean,
    while your post is titled "knives" there is barely a single blade in focus. ne_nau.gif
    This is NOT how you shoot a knife. deal.gif

We had a class on this some time ago, and while some images were removed by the OPs, there are still a few to look at:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=82406

FWIW, shooting blades properly is not easy... :cry

HTH
    Nikolai
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    Thanks for the Information
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Hi Dean,
    while your post is titled "knives" there is barely a single blade in focus. ne_nau.gif
    This is NOT how you shoot a knife. deal.gif

We had a class on this some time ago, and while some images were removed by the OPs, there are still a few to look at:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=82406

FWIW, shooting blades properly is not easy... :cry

HTH
    Nikolai

First of all Thanks !
    As for not a blade in focus. # 1,2 are of the knife maker and knife's the knife's were secondary to the photo in my thinking. #3 I was playing with the DOF to get to makers stamp in focus. #4 he was sharpening the knife and was after some movement. #5 playing with DOF yes I think I should have used a deeper DOF on this one. #6 is of a shop worker and I noticed a reflection of his pendent in one of the knifes. my focus point was on him. My intent was to cover the knife makers and use the knife's as props to help connect the two. P.S the news paper is used to test the sharpness of the knife.
    edited October 3, 2010
    First of all Thanks !
    As for not a blade in focus. # 1,2 are of the knife maker and knife's the knife's were secondary to the photo in my thinking. #3 I was playing with the DOF to get to makers stamp in focus. #4 he was sharpening the knife and was after some movement. #5 playing with DOF yes I think I should have used a deeper DOF on this one. #6 is of a shop worker and I noticed a reflection of his pendent in one of the knifes. my focus point was on him. My intent was to cover the knife makers and use the knife's as props to help connect the two. P.S the news paper is used to test the sharpness of the knife.

Dean,
    since your "intent was to cover the knife makers" you probably should've titled your post differently, no? mwink.gif
    This is one of the first things we teach in class: title should match to content. I've seen some big dramas here on dgrin over an improper title. Try to avoid such "confusion" in the future, it will save a lot of nerves both for for you and your viewers.

And while we're on the subject: medium/small size pictures are very difficult to critique. So if you expect to receive some C&C I'd recommend at least L for landscape format and XL for portrait/square format.

HTH
    Nikolai
  • eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    Title of post
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Dean,
    since your "intent was to cover the knife makers" you probably should've titled your post differently, no? mwink.gif
    This is one of the first things we teach in class: title should match to content. I've seen some big dramas here on dgrin over an improper title. Try to avoid such "confusion" in the future, it will save a lot of nerves both for for you and your viewers.

And while we're on the subject: medium/small size pictures are very difficult to critique. So if you expect to receive some C&C I'd recommend at least L for landscape format and XL for portrait/square format.

HTH
    Nikolai

Would you be so kind as to suggest a Title for this post :D
    As for posting in small/medium. I have posted some photos in the past in L/XL and it was suggested to me that I use a smaller photo as some viewers don't have a large monitor and viewing photos would be easer in a smaller format. and as I was posting 6 photos I thought it might be a bit overwhelming to post 6 L/XL photos. next time I will keep the post to 2 or 3 photos and go BIGER.
    Thanks
    edited October 3, 2010
    Would you be so kind as to suggest a Title for this post :D
    As for posting in small/medium. I have posted some photos in the past in L/XL and it was suggested to me that I use a smaller photo as some viewers don't have a large monitor and viewing photos would be easer in a smaller format. and as I was posting 6 photos I thought it might be a bit overwhelming to post 6 L/XL photos. next time I will keep the post to 2 or 3 photos and go BIGER.
    Thanks

Hand-Forged, Japanese Knives *Makers*
    *Makers of* Hand-Forged, Japanese Knives
    mwink.gif

As for smaller sizes to fit smaller screens.. When was that advise given, last millenium? rolleyes1.gif
    Cell phones/PDAs can scale images nicely, while the tiniest notebooks have a fairly decent resolution nowadays.
    This is *photo* related forum, most people do use decent size screens to work with imagery.
    This is how yours truly sees your pictures:

1032337591_5q2KQ-L.jpg

So scale away and don't worry, L/XL are fine :-)

HTH
    Nikolai