Options

Beloved Sunny

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited June 27, 2004 in People
So, I'm moving on Monday, and my daughter's last night at our house was last night. It hit her hard, especially when she realized that she had to say goodbye to her pet cockatiel, Sunny, who is buried in the back yard.

She cried and cried, but wouldn't let me help her as she picked flowers for his grave, and made a plaque to put there (the wood marker was there from when we first buried him).

The hardest part for me was when she was writing the card of what he said, and she only had two phrases. She asked me what else he said, and I told her he also said "I love Alaina" (her name). Tears flowed anew and she ran off to write it down.

A while later she asked me if we had to leave Sunny, and I told her no. So while she's out of town this weekend, I'll be moving Sunny to our new house.

Anyway, I snapped a few shots this morning of her memorial to Sunny, which can be found here.
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2004
    What a beautiful tribute to a very special friend. Your daughter is lucky to have a dad such as yourself. This couldn't have been easy for you, and yet, you continued on, for her, because you love her and she loves that bird still. As a parent I understand your feelings for your childs grief, and your overwhelming love for your daughter. The photos will be treasured by her for her whole life, because you thought so much of her and her feelings to make them for her. I hope you and your family will be happy in your new home!
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2004
    Wolf wrote:
    What a beautiful tribute to a very special friend. Your daughter is lucky to have a dad such as yourself. This couldn't have been easy for you, and yet, you continued on, for her, because you love her and she loves that bird still. As a parent I understand your feelings for your childs grief, and your overwhelming love for your daughter. The photos will be treasured by her for her whole life, because you thought so much of her and her feelings to make them for her. I hope you and your family will be happy in your new home!

Thanks, Wolf.

Really there were only two moments that were tough for me--telling her that Sunny said "I Love Alaina" and then when I held her plaque in my hands and really took in what she was doing. She's a truly awesome person.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Thanks, Wolf.

Really there were only two moments that were tough for me--telling her that Sunny said "I Love Alaina" and then when I held her plaque in my hands and really took in what she was doing. She's a truly awesome person.
    It seems to me that she must have had one heck of a teacher!
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2004
    UPDATE:

I moved our beloved Sunny to our new home today. At least I tried. We had buried him in a wooden cigar box. The box was in pieces and I could find no hint of bird. I took the pieces to the new house and buried them there. I placed my daughter's markers on the grave.

Fortunately, she was out of town this weekend, and didn't have to see/know that I just moved the wood pieces.

I spoke to her on the phone today, and told her Sunny was resting peacefully at the new house. She was relieved.
    Moderator Emeritus