Tough lesson

reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
edited October 5, 2010 in People
I had a shoot today with a young lady named Linda so I grabbed the 85-1.4 and headed out.
I decided to shoot wide open this time but I missed quite a few of the shots. I focused on the father eye on a few, others I just missed entirely.

Here is one of the better shots from today:

1032532596_4gyNG-L.jpg

As always C&C are more tan welcome....

I used a gold reflector in Color Efex Pro in post production for this one.
Yo soy Reynaldo

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    Nice light! thumb.gif

I do recommend to touch up the arm pit, though. It's a 30 second trip in PS with a Patch tool. deal.gif

I'm also not a big fan of the color palette. The Hot Pink of her dress does not match to the deep green of the grass and steals a lot of attention from her face, which is kinda a primary goal... ne_nau.gif BW/Duotone conversion would help.

HTH

Nikolai
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    I like the shot...beautiful young lady and what great light. What takes notice for me is the difference in tone between her face and chest/arms area. Maybe D/T make-up? Just seems the face could use a bit of warmth.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Thanks for the input guys. I noticed the makeup as soon as she showed up and thought, that's going to be a challenge to get matched up in PP.
    We tried a variety of locations at the University so I wouldn't be locked in to one color scheme as I agree the green with pink is a bit of an oddity.

A few other faves:

1032982604_fMhMt-L.jpg

1032854069_wWCxr-L.jpg

1032792006_NbaaC-L-1.jpg

1032792625_nr3DX-L.jpg

Touched up:

1033044338_pzR4z-L.jpg
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Tough lessons are the ones we learn the best! I've had some doozies. this gal could benefit from a make up artist. Or maybe she didn't feel so great, she looks really tired. Or that could be her choice of foundation. I know several people that tend to get brown instead of tan and they hate it and go to great lengths to avoid looking brown, trying to be pale. Perhaps she is one of them.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Sorry, I am in a hurry, just wanted to point out that you can see what appears to be her deodorant on her shirt by her armpit. I know cause it happens to me and I hate it. She is a beautiful girl, I would try and get a couple more that are maybe a little more cheerful and less tired. I will try to comment again later.
    edited October 4, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    Tough lessons are the ones we learn the best! I've had some doozies. this gal could benefit from a make up artist. Or maybe she didn't feel so great, she looks really tired. Or that could be her choice of foundation. I know several people that tend to get brown instead of tan and they hate it and go to great lengths to avoid looking brown, trying to be pale. Perhaps she is one of them.

Trudy I think we both learned something with this shoot. She is pleased with the portraits but I'm sure there are some she's thinking, "what was that?" or "what was I doing there?".....

I knew as soon as she showed up that her makeup was going to be a challenge in post processing but I went ahead with the shoot anyway.

Thanks for chiming in :-)
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited October 4, 2010
    kyeezie wrote: »
    Sorry, I am in a hurry, just wanted to point out that you can see what appears to be her deodorant on her shirt by her armpit. I know cause it happens to me and I hate it. She is a beautiful girl, I would try and get a couple more that are maybe a little more cheerful and less tired. I will try to comment again later.

Argh, I see it...
    I'll have to see if I can touch that one up....
    Thanks
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    #3 could use quite bit more exposure.

Over all I think the skin tones look real muddy. upon closer look..one issue you got here is a blue cast probably from the sky. Look at the top of her hair in 4. Then her pink top also has bluish highlights that seem to oversaturate her shirt. and robs attention. Finally the "fuzzballs" on her shirt are a mild dsitraction as well.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    I can't add anything more than what has been said, but I did want to post that I think you did a great job with the poses and I don't see anything so bad that can't be corrected with some post work.

BTW, I don't think she looks sleepy. She has those eyes. I have the same problem unless I make effort to look more "awake".

I bumped into some folks from my high school at a party a couple years ago. They all said that everyone thought I was a big pot smoker in HS. I asked why and they told me it was because I always looked "high". I smoked pot once in my entire life and it wasn't in HS. It's my eyes.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited October 4, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    #3 could use quite bit more exposure.

Over all I think the skin tones look real muddy. upon closer look..one issue you got here is a blue cast probably from the sky. Look at the top of her hair in 4. Then her pink top also has bluish highlights that seem to oversaturate her shirt. and robs attention. Finally the "fuzzballs" on her shirt are a mild dsitraction as well.

Daniel by muddy do you mean soft focus?
    If so, that's what I have to watch for shooting at 1.4, I get eyes in focus and I will get a nose soft or sometimes even cheeks depending on the angle. On the next shoot I'll get my dof dialed in with that lens as I've had it for years I haven't really tapped its potential because I don't use it enough but that will change.

On #4 I see what you pointed out, that must have been an artifact of a reflection as we were under cover for all of these except for the ones I shot under the tree shade in the grass.

As for her blouse, yes...I see all the imperfections now that I've finished the post processing of the raw files.

I'll more than likely go in and touch up some of the portraits that she likes best.
    Thanks for your imput :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited October 4, 2010
    I can't add anything more than what has been said, but I did want to post that I think you did a great job with the poses and I don't see anything so bad that can't be corrected with some post work.

BTW, I don't think she looks sleepy. She has those eyes. I have the same problem unless I make effort to look more "awake".

I bumped into some folks from my high school at a party a couple years ago. They all said that everyone thought I was a big pot smoker in HS. I asked why and they told me it was because I always looked "high". I smoked pot once in my entire life and it wasn't in HS. It's my eyes.

Thanks for your input as well.
    If it's the eyes that make her look sleepy, I agree....it's the shape and yes, I've had people say that about my eyes too....always the stoner guy...couldn't be farther than the truth!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Looking back I see she does have those tired eyes, I do too and should have picked that up. I do agree about the good poses. I think I am just more fond of the ones where she is smiling. She still is beautiful. I think frizzballs may be the deodorant but I'm just guessing. For me, it was something I noticed because it happens to me and I am very aware of it and don't like it.
    edited October 5, 2010
    kyeezie wrote: »
    Looking back I see she does have those tired eyes, I do too and should have picked that up. I do agree about the good poses. I think I am just more fond of the ones where she is smiling. She still is beautiful. I think frizzballs may be the deodorant but I'm just guessing. For me, it was something I noticed because it happens to me and I am very aware of it and don't like it.

I do appreciate these items being pointed out to me...makes me more aware for the next shoot. :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 5, 2010
    Very nice.
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    When shooting at that shallow dof, you have to have the eyes pretty much square on to camera to get them both sharply in foocus. I shoot at wide apertures a lot too, and this is something I ALWAYS have to remind myself when I let things go down below about 3.2 (and sometimes even then, depending on how close I am). I love the look, but it's tricky!

I think you have some potentially very good shots here - they'll take work in post to bring out their best, but I think it can be done. Clean up the colour-balances (perhaps cropping as necessary to lose bg and thus solve some of the colour balance issues) and brighten them up a little, especially #3. Some patch/clone work on her undereye shadows, dodge/burn the catchlights in her eyes to help them seem less "sleepy", and clean up those bits of clothing as previously mentioned. Some crops/tilts can make all of them a litttle more dynamic and add some life where she wasn't giving it to you - I think the crop feature in LR is the thing I use most in that program!
    edited October 5, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    When shooting at that shallow dof, you have to have the eyes pretty much square on to camera to get them both sharply in foocus. I shoot at wide apertures a lot too, and this is something I ALWAYS have to remind myself when I let things go down below about 3.2 (and sometimes even then, depending on how close I am). I love the look, but it's tricky!

I think you have some potentially very good shots here - they'll take work in post to bring out their best, but I think it can be done. Clean up the colour-balances (perhaps cropping as necessary to lose bg and thus solve some of the colour balance issues) and brighten them up a little, especially #3. Some patch/clone work on her undereye shadows, dodge/burn the catchlights in her eyes to help them seem less "sleepy", and clean up those bits of clothing as previously mentioned. Some crops/tilts can make all of them a litttle more dynamic and add some life where she wasn't giving it to you - I think the crop feature in LR is the thing I use most in that program!

Thanks for the suggestions Diva, I'm looking at certain images right now to clean up a bit.

Tom, thank you :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo