Fall in the Cascades

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited October 5, 2010 in Landscapes
headed east on the North Cascades Highway yesterday looking for some fall color... found a few places showing some nice hues, but was rather disappointed at the lack of color at the higher elevations. hardly any vine maples to provide the red, but plenty of yellows and oranges...

a hillside east of the town of Concrete... the morning clouds hadn't burned off yet, and were still clinging to the hill tops...

IMG_5027sm.jpg

a small farm along the Skagit River...

IMG_5051rdxcrop_filteredsm.jpg

fall color along Canyon Creek...

IMG_5106sm.jpg

IMG_5116sm.jpg

got east of the mountains, and found a one-lane gravel road just west of Winthrop that i'd shot several years ago... the reds weren't so much in evidence this time around, but the golds were definitely out... these were shot well after sundown, and the 8-second exposures don't give the colors the 'pop' they'd have in brighter light, but by the time i got this far east it was getting pretty late...

IMG_5207asm.jpg

looking back the other way..,

IMG_5213rdxsm.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Nice set Rocky. Looks like we'll have to really travel for fall colors this year!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Man I love the fall foliage of birch and aspen trees. Thanks for sharing them this far south! :D
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    A really nice set of images. I really like the way the sun highlights the color in the first image. I like the vertical lines and textures of the tree trunks against the color of the leaves in the 4th image, and I am kind of surprised that the color of the cottonwoods in the last 2 images is so far along.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Roaddog 52 wrote: »
    A really nice set of images. I really like the way the sun highlights the color in the first image. I like the vertical lines and textures of the tree trunks against the color of the leaves in the 4th image, and I am kind of surprised that the color of the cottonwoods in the last 2 images is so far along.

Phil

thanks, Phil...

FYI, those aren't cottonwoods, they're birches, and east of the mountains, they "pop" pretty early... i passed several stands where they'd already lost half their leaves!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Just beautiful!
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Some nice color here! I really like the comps of #4 and #5.
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Wow....wonderful image!
    squirl033 wrote: »
    IMG_5116sm.jpg