Lens interchangeable with Nikon N80, and D3000 DSLR???

98olds98olds Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited October 9, 2010 in Cameras
Hi,

I may be getting a Nikon N80 SLR, Would the lens I have with my Nikon D3000 DSLR Be interchangeable with the Nikon N80?
Nikon D3000
Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    You should be able to find that answer at: http://www.nikonusa.com

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    The ones in your sig are compatible.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Correction: The 70-300mm lens fully compatible. The other zooms are DX lenses and will not create a full-frame image suitable for use with 35mm film. Try mounting them on your EM and you'll see what I mean.

You don't say what models of 50mm and 85mm lenses you have. If they are autofocus lenses, they will work properly on the N80. If they are older manual-focus lenses that you use with your EM, then the N80 won't be able to meter with them.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • 98olds98olds Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    The 50mm, and 85mm lens' are not Autofocus.

I probbly would not be using those lens's as much with the N80 if I were to get it. was really wondering about the other lense cause those are the ones that i carry in my bag with my D3000 all the time.

is the N80 even a camera worth getting?
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
    edited October 5, 2010
    98olds wrote: »
    is the N80 even a camera worth getting?

If it were me, I'd probably buy an F100, but the N80 is a decent camera. Ken Rockwell compares the two in his review of the N80 and finds that each has advantages:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/n80.htm

• 98olds98olds Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    why would you go for an f100?
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
    edited October 5, 2010
    98olds wrote: »
    why would you go for an f100?

I'd go for an F100 over an N80 because the F100 can meter with manual lenses and has 1/250 flash sync (as opposed to 1/125 on the N80). If those don't matter to you, the N80 or the even cheaper N75 would be good choices if you're looking for a VR-compatible, G-compatible Nikon 35mm film camera that will work correctly with both AF and AF-S lenses. (As opposed to, for example, the N55, which despite being a 2005 model cannot autofocus with AF-S lenses!)

Or, one could spend more money and go for an F5 or even an F6, but personally I dislike the large bodies of those models.

• EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote: »
    The ones in your sig are compatible.

Oops, sorry, I thought you were talking about a d80, not an n80. My apologies for an incorrect answer.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    I've got an N80 and yes, the low flash sync speed is a bit of a bummer. However, I just use it without the flash. I don't have any manual lenses so the metering is not a problem.

Ive got an 35 mm and 50mm and these are great lenses to use on the N80 and the D300/D70 cameras. But looking at your sig, you have virtually nothing that will work on an N80. The N80/35mmf2D is a fairly nice compact package for general use, if you are so inclined.

Why do you want an N80? I got mine since I lusted after it years ago when I had some cheap plasticy Canon base model and some other guy had this awesome Nikon. :) A year ago I found one on Ebay and got it.
    It also worked with my growing collection of FX "G" glass, unlike my FM2.
    Finally, I thought at the time that the AF might be easier to use for shooting moving things when compared to the FM2.

If you do want to shoot film, why not buy something more interesting to use? To be honest, my N80 is not that exciting to shoot with. The controls are like everything else Nikon offers these days. I see you have an EM. Maybe you could look at one of the other manual Nikon cameras out there? Since I've already got an FM2, my next film camera will probably an F4, since it will work with nearly all of my FX lenses, and still be AF, but mainly, it has all "hardwired" controls.

I'd think that compared to the F5 or F6, going older is the way to go with film cameras. but just my 2 cents.
    edited October 9, 2010
    I'd think that compared to the F5 or F6, going older is the way to go with film cameras. but just my 2 cents.

Well, yeah, personally I agree; the newest 35mm film camera model I own is the Nikon FE from the late '70s. (I've been tempted by the F3, but I dislike having LEDs in the viewfinder.) However, it sounded to me like the OP wanted a camera that would work with modern autofocus lenses (AF, AF-S, VR, G) and you don't get that with models from the 1980s or older.