Options

Geotagging RAW files - what do you use?

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited October 14, 2010 in Finishing School
I just got the Geotag photos pro app for the iphone and spent 17 hours today driving and shooting foliage in Vermont. Now trying to figure out the best way to write the .gpx file to my Canon RAW files in Lightroom.
Ideally, I would like it to also fill in the town automatically to improve keyword searches in the catalog down the road.
Seems the options are:

Jfriedl plugin
GPSphotolinker
The Geotag photos app

Any thoughts on these or other gps apps?
Thanks
E

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Houdahgeo thumb.gif (it may be Mac only?)
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    HoudahGeo is great. You use it to tag files before importing to LR, though. Or, you have to tell LR to re-read the metadata.

It uses dcraw under the hood, so if you want to get down with your command-line self with dcraw you could do so.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2010
    Thanks
    I tried Jfriedl's plugin and it seems to work in much the same way. Import into LR then run plugin then reread metadata if you want it written properly to the file. It does not populate city/state data though which would be nice.
    E
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2010
    Found my app: Photolinker
    http://www.earlyinnovations.com/photolinker/

Writes city/state data to iptc fields
    Writes to XMP sidecar - does not touch the CR2 files!!!
    It is pricey but offers a fully functional 30 day trial mode.
    I'll run it through its paces before making my final decision.
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    I use Geosetter.
    It will write the gps data to the file or XMP side car files.
    After writing the gps coordinates to the files you can use the location "Get From Web" to find the country, city, state, sublocation to write to the metadata.
    There is also an option to write the location data into the keywords. So when I import (into PSE 7.0), the tags are already there.
    I also make templates to apply the location data across several files at once. So the GPS coordiantes may change but the city and sublocation do not.
  • Options
    GalarinaGalarina Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 14, 2010
    Check out my GeoLogTag iPhone app ($5). It's an all-in-one geotagging solution for Mac users. Geotagging is done over WiFi, so you don't need any other applications.

Note that GeoLogTag Free is fully functional except the fact that tracked locations are automatically deleted after 2 hours. It's main purpose is to give you a try-before-you-buy option.

GeoLogTag also integrates with Flickr.
    SmugMug integration is on my todo list for a future version. Note that my WiiPhoto app already integrates with SmugMug.

Website
    App Store