meet oliver

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 15, 2005 in People
my second-oldest, he's 17. canon 85L, a little fill flash (- 1.3ec) thru lightsphere II. gold reflector used, shining back diffused sunlight coming through the trees.

34699661-L.jpg

enjoy (portrait) photography,

Comments

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2005
    Great portrait and a very handsome young man Andy. I would love a tutorial on your setup here.

Where was the reflector in relation to you and your son? Do you leave the little dome on the top of the sphere?

Love the angle you chose as well...
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2005
    tutorial: lighting the portrait
    4labs wrote:
    Great portrait and a very handsome young man Andy. I would love a tutorial on your setup here.

Where was the reflector in relation to you and your son? Do you leave the little dome on the top of the sphere?

Love the angle you chose as well...

i was about 3 feet elevated from his location. strong sunlight was filtering through the tops of maple trees directly from subject's right. i had my assistant (daughter) hold the gold reflector approximately directly to subject's left, and also low (i wanted the reflected light to bathe him if possible. it was tough, because there were some high puffy cumulus clouds.

now to the camera: i used aperture priority, f/4, knowing this would give me a flash speed of 1/160th or 1/250th. i set the flash exposure compensation to -1.3, not wanting to hit the subject with too much light, just wanted to kill the shadows and get some life in the eyes. i used the lightsphere by gary fong to further diffuse the flash.

that's it for shooting :D

in post, nothing really. some minor curves adjustment, to give it some pop. oh i had to remove the bloodshot eyes, as he'd been in the pool for the prior 2 hours lol3.gif
    edited September 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i was about 3 feet elevated from his location. strong sunlight was filtering through the tops of maple trees directly from subject's right. i had my assistant (daughter) hold the gold reflector approximately directly to subject's left, and also low (i wanted the reflected light to bathe him if possible. it was tough, because there were some high puffy cumulus clouds.

now to the camera: i used aperture priority, f/4, knowing this would give me a flash speed of 1/160th or 1/250th. i set the flash exposure compensation to -1.3, not wanting to hit the subject with too much light, just wanted to kill the shadows and get some life in the eyes. i used the lightsphere by gary fong to further diffuse the flash.

that's it for shooting :D

in post, nothing really. some minor curves adjustment, to give it some pop. oh i had to remove the bloodshot eyes, as he'd been in the pool for the prior 2 hours lol3.gif
    T

Thnxs Andy that really helps!
    edited September 4, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    T

Thnxs Andy that really helps!

thank you, eric, for the very kind words. and it's my pleasure to help, ask me anything, anytime :D
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2005
    His hair does look like he'd just been in the pool.

Another keeper, of course. How many kids do you have, btw?

A little boy, a 17yr old and your midshipman, and your daughter, you say. That makes 4. Anymore? Family portrait?

Owen
    edited September 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    thank you, eric, for the very kind words. and it's my pleasure to help, ask me anything, anytime :D

actually the filtered sunlight was not coming directly from his right, but at about a 30 degree angle. ditto the reflector from his left.

i'll also probably touch up the stray hairs top of his head, they melted into the green grass bg...
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2005
    Andy,
    Thanks for posting this nice portrait.clap.gif This is what I was talking about. You've generated a very helpful discussion for us novices.

I was wondering if you have any shots taken without the gold reflector. Just curious what this actually added to the end result.
    edited September 7, 2005
    Owen wrote:
    His hair does look like he'd just been in the pool.

Another keeper, of course. How many kids do you have, btw?

A little boy, a 17yr old and your midshipman, and your daughter, you say. That makes 4. Anymore? Family portrait?

Owen

hiya owen :D thanks so much for the very kind words. yeah, i have four kids - aged 6 to 18 lol3.gif i'm in for it, i tell ya. family portrait? that would imply that everyone is in the same place at the same time :uhoh something that's a rare occurrence 'round here. i'm working on it deal.gif
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    Super cool shot, Andy!
    I love the pose, composition and lighting. It's very straightforward, which is something I really like on portraits.

By the way, how do you like the LS II? From your shot, it really looks like something I might be interested in. :D

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
    edited September 14, 2005
    By the way, how do you like the LS II? From your shot, it really looks like something I might be interested in. :D

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago

thiago, i love the LSII - you should put it on your list of items for when you come to the states next spring deal.gif

thanks for the comments and kind words!

to all: thank you very much for posting, commenting, and stopping by.
  • Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    andy wrote:
    my second-oldest, he's 17. canon 85L, a little fill flash (- 1.3ec) thru lightsphere II. gold reflector used, shining back diffused sunlight coming through the trees.

Beautiful shot! Bet the girls are banging down the door!thumb.gif
    Hey Andy,

I wanted to ask you before but forgot in my previous reply, The LSII comes in two pieces, do you keep the dome on when shooting outdoors, and secondly what angle do you have your flash head pointed? Thnxs in advance....
    4labs wrote:
    Hey Andy,

I wanted to ask you before but forgot in my previous reply, The LSII comes in two pieces, do you keep the dome on when shooting outdoors, and secondly what angle do you have your flash head pointed? Thnxs in advance....

i use the dome "on" most of the time. off only when i want to diffuse partially the direct flash. the angle? depends - if in a room with a suitable light ceiling for bouncing, i'll angle it to bounce - for outdoor shots, it's direct at the subject(s).
    Thnxs so much for your prompt reply! I haev two weeks to get this down pat..
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    andy wrote:

34699661-S.jpg
    Yep.. you're a photographer all right.. It's a great shot and I could never figure out all that lighting fill thingy Andy.. so .. it's hopeless for me :cry
  • JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2005
    Hey Andy,

I see the future.... but my Oliver's head is already about the same size as your Oliver's is. Good lookin' kiddo. You must be making college plans, huh?

Jim
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • thdizzythdizzy Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    Andy,

What sunlight through the trees? I can't see it.
    Todd Disraeli - Star, Idaho

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb
    thdizzy wrote:
    Andy,

What sunlight through the trees? I can't see it.

andy wrote:
    strong sunlight was filtering through the tops of maple trees directly from subject's right.

since it's off to my son's right, i don't guess that you would now, would you?