1034699257_WF7Ga-XL-1.jpg

1034692411_ThE6D-XL-2.jpg

1034684157_6t4Mg-XL-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.
-joel

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    I really like the first portrait (just watch the background on the closeups, I find it a bit distracting), very nice exposure on all these, just not certain on the first pose.
    She's beautiful btw......
    The fourth one is just a red x
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 5, 2010
    Thanks, Reyvee. My intention was to shoot her in front of one of those columns, but she immediately went for the space in the middle, so I went with it. Smugmug must have barfed on loading #4 into your browser. Can you hit reload on that page and see if it shows? If you like #1, I'm sure you'll like 4 as well or more. Thanks again for your comments.
  • ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Very nice - Buy you might want to PS the tag sticking out under her left arm.
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
    edited October 5, 2010
    Very nice - Buy you might want to PS the tag sticking out under her left arm.

Cripes, can't believe I missed that. :uhoh Thanks for the comment!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Nice set Doggie. #1 my favorite. Pose is nice so is lighting. I like her expression. #2 I like least. Pose looks odd to me, like she is trying to hold herself on the ledge.

There are some goopie marks on the head band most visible in #1. Maybe wipe those clean in post.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Hey Joel,
    nice model!
    Smart usage of the avalable refectors by placing her between those pillars.
    I have a bit of the problem with your angling and posing.
    See, while we all like experimenting, some things are known to work or not work in a vast majority of cases. Here's a rundown:
    * Facial closeups look best if taken from above (as opposed to from below the chin as in your #1)
    * #2: holding legs like this is a worst possible pose I can think of. :cry
    She looks like a midget, which she is not. Rotating her lower body (and the legs) 45..90 degrees would make a huge difference (nicely demonstrated in your very own #3)
    * in ##1,3 and 4 you have some distraction in the BG (door?) Moving the camere just an inch or two to your left would help you to avoid it. I understand the mindset ("who on earth would look at the background when there is a pretty girl in a bikini right up front"), but that's what differentiates a glorified snapshot from a pro work.
    * PS-wise: in addition to bra tag I'd work on her armpits.

All in all, in case you didn't notice, the new season of the Weekly Assignments is all about these things: posing, angling, framing, lighting, processing, etc. Since you are obviously venturing into this direction I sincerely suggest to consider participating... mwink.gif

HTH
    Nikolai
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited October 5, 2010
    Nice set Doggie. #1 my favorite. Pose is nice so is lighting. I like her expression. #2 I like least. Pose looks odd to me, like she is trying to hold herself on the ledge.
    That must have been because she was trying to hold herself on the ledge. rolleyes1.gif
    There are some goopie marks on the head band most visible in #1. Maybe wipe those clean in post.
    You have a good eye, my friend! eek7.gif

Thanks for the comments, Alex. thumb.gif
    edited October 5, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Hey Joel,
    nice model!
    Smart usage of the avalable refectors by placing her between those pillars.
    I have a bit of the problem with your angling and posing.
    See, while we all like experimenting, some things are known to work or not work in a vast majority of cases. Here's a rundown:
    * Facial closeups look best if taken from above (as opposed to from below the chin as in your #1)
    * #2: holding legs like this is a worst possible pose I can think of. :cry
    She looks like a midget, which she is not. Rotating her lower body (and the legs) 45..90 degrees would make a huge difference (nicely demonstrated in your very own #3)
    * in ##1,3 and 4 you have some distraction in the BG (door?) Moving the camere just an inch or two to your left would help you to avoid it. I understand the mindset ("who on earth would look at the background when there is a pretty girl in a bikini right up front"), but that's what differentiates a glorified snapshot from a pro work.
    * PS-wise: in addition to bra tag I'd work on her armpits.

All in all, in case you didn't notice, the new season of the Weekly Assignments is all about these things: posing, angling, framing, lighting, processing, etc. Since you are obviously venturing into this direction I sincerely suggest to consider participating... mwink.gif

HTH
    Nikolai

Great comments, Nik. So many posing rules, ahem, guidelines to remember. See, that's why I like nature photography; you see, you shoot. rolleyes1.gif

I don't usually venture into weekly assignments but maybe for this I should.

thanks, Nik.

-joel
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Great comments, Nik. So many posing rules, ahem, guidelines to remember. See, that's why I like nature photography; you see, you shoot. rolleyes1.gif

I don't usually venture into weekly assignments but maybe for this I should.

thanks, Nik.

-joel

Joel,

(female) models and nature are one and the same: beautiful and ever changing. mwink.gif

You don't want to catch either at their bad moments: a model with her hair and nails undone, a nature when the light is bad. Unless, of course, you shoot for gritty effect, in which case bot trashy look and hellish weather (or our typical southwestern clear blue sky and scorching sun) may add to the picture.

If the nature was all that "see-n-shoot", why on earth did we wait until dark and woke up in an ungodly hour in the morning, forgetting about sleep and food?

Seriously, partner, there are many a rule for each subject. Knowing them gives you a fairly reliable base line. Yet at the same time it also gives you an opportunity to break them for a specific purpose. Wide Angle Tilt-Shift can be used for pretty unique portraiture, long tele can be superb for landscapes...
    But in any case it's all about knowing what you're doing and what you want to get. Ignorance rarely helps in these matters. ne_nau.gif

Soo, see you in Class? ;-)mwink.giflust
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited October 6, 2010
    I can see number four now...
    Question, do you fuss with fixing skin imperfections?
    For a polished product I would say yes.....
    I do like #4 quite a bit though
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited October 6, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Joel,

(female) models and nature are one and the same: beautiful and ever changing. mwink.gif

You don't want to catch either at their bad moments: a model with her hair and nails undone, a nature when the light is bad. Unless, of course, you shoot for gritty effect, in which case bot trashy look and hellish weather (or our typical southwestern clear blue sky and scorching sun) may add to the picture.

If the nature was all that "see-n-shoot", why on earth did we wait until dark and woke up in an ungodly hour in the morning, forgetting about sleep and food?

Seriously, partner, there are many a rule for each subject. Knowing them gives you a fairly reliable base line. Yet at the same time it also gives you an opportunity to break them for a specific purpose. Wide Angle Tilt-Shift can be used for pretty unique portraiture, long tele can be superb for landscapes...
    But in any case it's all about knowing what you're doing and what you want to get. Ignorance rarely helps in these matters. ne_nau.gif

Soo, see you in Class? ;-)mwink.giflust

Thanks for the pep talk, Nik. I was of course being a bit facetious, there's nothing simple about nature photography, or any other kind of photography. But people are way harder than it looks and one does need a lot of practice to get it right. And there are only some many hours in the day. That being said, I will try to participate in the assignments classes. It's not easy with work and family, and lack of a studio, but I'll see what I can do. I appreciate the personal invite.
    edited October 6, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    I can see number four now...
    Question, do you fuss with fixing skin imperfections?
    For a polished product I would say yes.....
    I do like #4 quite a bit though
    Thanks! Both 1 and 4 have skin smoothing applied. I tend to use such tools sparingly for better presentation, but not changing the model's looks appreciably. It sounds like I succeeded. mwink.gif In retrospect I could probably have done a bit more touchup in that last shot.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • WanderWander Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Something not mentioned that caught my eye is that her toes are hanging over the edge of her shoes that draws attention to the shoes that look kind of heavy compared to the bikini and they are scuffed.
    ~Matt

Nikon D70s
    Nikon F4s
    Pentax K1000
    Olympus OM-10
    Gitzo CF tripod/Arca Swiss ball head
    Not nearly enough lenses
  • kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Wander wrote: »
    Something not mentioned that caught my eye is that her toes are hanging over the edge of her shoes that draws attention to the shoes that look kind of heavy compared to the bikini and they are scuffed.
    I do like #1 and 5 the best. But I totally agree with this comment. I looked at the set and afterward, all I remembered were the shoes. I don't like them personally but I agree, heavy is a good word. Something more delicate I think would have been much better. Also, I have seen skin softening waaaaay over done to the point where the people look like a doll. Models seem to like it but I do not think it is right. Do you have a change to shoot with her again? She is beautiful and I think with the tips you got, the pics could be much improved. I would like to see them too!
    edited October 10, 2010
    Wander wrote: »
    Thanks for the comment on the shoes. I will admit to being fashion-challenged. Although even I know the toes thing can't be right. :D Not sure how you can see the shoes are scuffed though, they look ok to me. ne_nau.gif
    kyeezie wrote: »
    I do like #1 and 5 the best. But I totally agree with this comment. I looked at the set and afterward, all I remembered were the shoes. I don't like them personally but I agree, heavy is a good word. Something more delicate I think would have been much better. Also, I have seen skin softening waaaaay over done to the point where the people look like a doll. Models seem to like it but I do not think it is right. Do you have a change to shoot with her again? She is beautiful and I think with the tips you got, the pics could be much improved. I would like to see them too!

Thanks, Kyeezie. The shoot was part of a fund-raiser. There were three models and about 30 cars that I shot together. I'd never met the girls prior to the shoot, so I had no input at all to their outfits. I was actually pretty pleased. Afterwards, I spent about 5 minutes shooting all three girls. So these shots were rather hasty. All three girls have expressed interest in shooting again. I will definitely keep all the tips I've gotten here in mind for next time.

Thanks again, everyone.
    -joel
    edited October 10, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Thanks! Both 1 and 4 have skin smoothing applied. I tend to use such tools sparingly for better presentation, but not changing the model's looks appreciably. It sounds like I succeeded. mwink.gif In retrospect I could probably have done a bit more touchup in that last shot.

Cheers,
    -joel

I tend to feel the same way unless it's called for .....
    Yo soy Reynaldo