Miramar Air Show

ryant35ryant35 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited October 9, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I finally finished editing my photos from Saturday, here are some of my favorites:

IMG_9065.jpg

2. Edit: Holly sensor dust batman! I don't know how I missed all that! I'll be cloning those out and reposting later.
IMG_8747.jpg

IMG_8720.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_9526.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_9630.jpg

Comments

• photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Pretty cool photos. I like # 8 the best.
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    Some really great shots in there. That Raptor shot is definitely the winner of the group!
  • jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    I'm heading to an air show this weekend. What lens did you shoot these with? I only have my Nikkor 55-200mm VR. I hope I can get something serviceable with it.
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    I was at the Cleveland Air Show over Labor Day weekend, wish the weather would have been as nice as in your shoots.

Great photos, I really like #1 & #8
    Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
    Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
  • ryant35ryant35 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    I'm heading to an air show this weekend. What lens did you shoot these with? I only have my Nikkor 55-200mm VR. I hope I can get something serviceable with it.

Believe it or not a Canon 75-300mm f/4.5-5 I bought for $200 the day before because all the 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses where all rented out.
    edited October 8, 2010
    ryant35 wrote: »
    Believe it or not a Canon 75-300mm f/4.5-5 I bought for $200 the day before because all the 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses where all rented out.

Are any of the shots above cropped down? Because I notice several are within my 55-200mm range :)
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    Very nice work! Love the way you caught the sunburst in #3 and that's a terrific shot of the Raptor.
    edited October 8, 2010
    Are any of the shots above cropped down? Because I notice several are within my 55-200mm range :)

Nope, no cropping at all.
    edited October 8, 2010
    ryant35 wrote: »
    Nope, no cropping at all.

Oh man, now I'm excited to go to the airshow on Sunday. If I get any shots as good as yours I'll be ecstatic wings.gif Got any tips you would like to share? mwink.gif
    edited October 9, 2010
    Oh man, now I'm excited to go to the airshow on Sunday. If I get any shots as good as yours I'll be ecstatic wings.gif Got any tips you would like to share? mwink.gif

Slow shutter for prop blur, keep both eyes open to help with tracking across the sky. Watch the background especially if you get great clouds or if you are facing the sun to add to your photos.

If you don't get the shot, don't worry about it. There will be plenty of other opportunities. If there isn't a lot of moisture in the air don't expect to see water vapor like in my shots, Miramar is really close to the beach in San Diego and the water vapor there is nothing like anywhere else.

If this is your first airshow, be prepared to be hooked and go every single other year.

We go with chairs, small clamp on umbrellas, a cooler full of water & snacks, lunch and dinner all on a folding cart. Be sure to read all the rules on what you can bring, some bases don't allow coolers, some do. The ones that do require you to use blue ice packs instead of ice. Also some don't allow backbacks, but sometimes camera bags. Read up and be prepared to spend all day out there. Don't forget a wide angle lens for the static displays.
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    Ryan hit most of the highlights for shooting. From your profile, I assume you are going to the Little Rock AFB show...if you haven't already been there, check out their web site:

http://www.littlerockairshow.com/

Especially the FAQ page - they list the prohibited items, which includes backpacks, coolers, large camera bags, etc. One item you should definitely bring is SUNSCREEN!

Take lots of photos, but take the time to enjoy the entire airshow experience. And if you get the chance to talk with Dusty, the pilot of the A-10 demo, tell him Moose from Long Island says hello!