What To Do??

AmbrolaAmbrola Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
edited October 6, 2010 in Holy Macro
I have a Nikon D-80 and a Nikon 105vr Macro lens. I also have Kenko tubes. This is ok for bees, Spiders and relative big bugs, but today I was shooting a Ladybug. The setup wpuld not give me a good clear, detailed picture! Now I'm still learninng, but 100 shots and no go? That was with the tubes and diffused light at the end. I finaly get the light right, and now I see I can't get the magnification I want. What to do, buy a Cannon and the MPE-65?? Disgusted!

Comments

• SubanuSubanu Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Ambrola wrote: »
    I have a Nikon D-80 and a Nikon 105vr Macro lens. I also have Kenko tubes. This is ok for bees, Spiders and relative big bugs, but today I was shooting a Ladybug. The setup wpuld not give me a good clear, detailed picture! Now I'm still learninng, but 100 shots and no go? That was with the tubes and diffused light at the end. I finaly get the light right, and now I see I can't get the magnification I want. What to do, buy a Cannon and the MPE-65?? Disgusted!

Post a couple shots...
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    That set up should give you 2:1 magnification which should be enough on a crop camera to give clear pictures of ladybirds.
    As commented above- post a photo with EXIF data. From your post it's hard to tell if you were not happy with the picture quality of the one you took or not happy with the magnification.

Brian V.
  • AmbrolaAmbrola Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    That set up should give you 2:1 magnification which should be enough on a crop camera to give clear pictures of ladybirds.
    As commented above- post a photo with EXIF data. From your post it's hard to tell if you were not happy with the picture quality of the one you took or not happy with the magnification.

Brian V.
    Not happy with the magnification. You can not see very fine detail in a very small subject unless you do a crop. I don't like that, it takes away from the pic. I deleted all the pics I had, so I don't have any to show. Mabey it was just one of those days, but I seem to have them alot. Very small insects just do not come out real good with the tubes. Better without them.
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    try to get more light , from flash or other way

because you allmost double the magnification , the DOF will also be smaller
    only way to solve that is with smaller aperture [ higher value ]

also , try slower shutter-speed

its ok , if pics look a little bit dark , you can correct that very easy

so , try F26 or F29 and see it improves
    that way you can narrow down aperture even more

[ i usually shoot at F29 , w same setup ]
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    Really not sure what you are doing but something is not correct. Shot below is the first shot I ever did with my old sigma 105 with a full set of extension tubes giving 2:1 magnification. I wouldn't exactly say the detail is not there.

Brian V.

55504026_7bcee61d33_o.jpg
  • AmbrolaAmbrola Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    I figured it out, I had my flash all messed up in the settings. I was just aggrevated yesterday after shooting over a hundred shots and couldn't get it. I had been in the advanced mode of the flash and changed a couple settings that realy messed me up. Back on track now, where that ladybug go??