Monument Valley

cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
edited October 9, 2010 in Landscapes
Still processing px from my Southwest vacation but here are a few favorites from Monument Valley. We went on a private sunrise jeep tour with Sacred Monument Tours which was very enjoyable.

Stephanie

#1 Mittens at dusk
1032754956_8cw6C-L-2.jpg

#2 Totem pole at sunrise
1032769529_iHFK5-L-2.jpg

#3 Totem pole at sunrise
1032778812_aSFdK-L-2.jpg

#4 Ear of the Wind
1032873952_TAtfs-L-2.jpg

1032891244_njCA7-L-2.jpg

1032939827_68Q37-L-2.jpg

#7 Taken at Navajo National Monument (not in Monument Valley)
1033056543_MVNz3-L-2.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    Hi Stephanie. I love this place. I want to go back and visit Hunt's Mesa. Nice set.
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    You covered some interesting ground on your trip. Nice shot of the Mittens. The rocks and dunes are really interesting in #6. IMO it would be improved without much of the foreground brush.
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Hi Stephanie. I love this place. I want to go back and visit Hunt's Mesa. Nice set.
    I know what you mean. I asked our guide about Hunt's Mesa, especially after seeing a photo I believe Aaron posted a little while ago.

Stephanie
    edited October 6, 2010
    You covered some interesting ground on your trip. Nice shot of the Mittens. The rocks and dunes are really interesting in #6. IMO it would be improved without much of the foreground brush.

Thanks Dan. I took a few different shots from that area. Do you like any of these comps any better?

A
    1032904909_kX9EU-L-2.jpg

B
    1032910032_j6dQY-L-2.jpg

C
    1032923395_4cnqd-L-2.jpg
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Thanks Dan. I took a few different shots from that area. Do you like any of these comps any better?
    Hey, Staphanie. I like B the best of these three. Ideally having the vertical column off-center may work a bit better. Great colors thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 7, 2010
    I do! thumb.gif
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Stephanie,

Nice shots at Monument Valley. I was there the end of April and ran into a dust storm. I stayed at the inn there at the mittens, but basically had to stay indoors most of the time. You can still find the red dust in the cracks and seams in my upholstery, etc. in my truck.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    love your shots!

I'm going again next week, I hope to have as much luck with the virgin sand as you did!!!!
    Aaron Nelson
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    #3 is awesome! Perfect catch at the best time of the day :D
    edited October 7, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I am so jealous of you photographers who live out there in Arizona - how do you get any work done with all that beautiful scenery.

Dan - I'm going to go back thru and work on some different crops.

Joel - I think I will be spending quite a bit more time on these photos. Most were quick edits so my parents could see the pictures.

Dixie - We really lucked out with the weather. It was almost too perfect for 10 days. A few clouds here and there might have made some of the photos a little more interesting but it was perfect sightseeing weather.

Aaron - Thanks so much, I really admire everything you post.

Schmoo - I agree and I so rarely make it for sunrise.

Stephanie
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    nice stuff, Stephanie... Monument Valley is a pretty spectacular place. when was there a couple of years ago, i didn't take a formal tour, so didn't get back into the restricted areas, but had a ball nonetheless! it did, however, take me several weeks to get all the dust out of the focus ring of my 17-35... :(
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    beautifull I also am jealous I wanna move their to arizona been wanting 2 for years beautiful pics.