Arethusa Falls

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited October 6, 2010 in Landscapes
We took a trip to the White Mountains last week. Arethusa Falls , in Crawford Notch, is one of my favorite ice climbing venues, but I'd never seen it "unfrozen." My wife and I hiked up on Sunday and I got this shot of her with the falls. Colors in New England are comparatively blah this fall, but there were still lots of people at the falls so I kinda had to shoot & scoot in order to not block the trail.

I didn't have a ND filter with me, so cranked the ISO down to 125 (LO.7). f 25 and 1/5 sec was the best I could do. Jean held still for me though. I'm ordering a couple of ND filters today.

1036212532_g5YN3-X2.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    pretty falls, and the splashes of color make a nice accent. you did well for not having the ND filter on... even 1/5 sec is enough to give you some nice silky water.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    Nice photo.
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    You did well with the conditions. The shutter speed works OK with the vertical fall. And the patches of sunlight are the toughest thing to handle. Great colors thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    Thanks for the nice comments guys. I kept waiting for a cloud to help me out, but couldn't buy one for love nor money. I'm reasonably happy with the shot, but I do have to admit that it's really in the category of a nice snapshot. Oh well, next time. Too bad it's 750 miles from home.

Dan, pretty soon, I want to get to Acadia. Your shots are truely inspiring to me.

I don't have high hopes for fall colors here in Virginia this year. It's been SO dry.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.