Options

How do I shoot for digital backgrounds?

juledurjuledur Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 287 Major grins
edited October 6, 2010 in Technique
What type of backdrop works best for replacing with a digital background? I'm thinking of white seamless paper, but I'm not sure. I've heard that chroma green has to be lit in a certain way and might reflect onto the subject. Is that true?

Also, what width of background do I need for shooting families? What I have currently is only 4ft. wide, primarily for product photography.

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    juledur wrote: »
    What type of backdrop works best for replacing with a digital background? I'm thinking of white seamless paper, but I'm not sure. I've heard that chroma green has to be lit in a certain way and might reflect onto the subject. Is that true?

Also, what width of background do I need for shooting families? What I have currently is only 4ft. wide, primarily for product photography.

Yes, it can reflect back and put a green glow on the peeps., But so can white and other colors that you may never notice, especially when not keying.

It does depend on the software you are using. Of course, they make green/blue screens. White seamless can work as well. Problem comes when keying it out. Anybody has a white shirt, oops! That gets keyed out too. So basically neon-green and electric blue were chosen because most folks are not going to be wearin that stuff. Basically any color will work, but once again, depends on what they are wearing.

As far as Green screens go, they seem to run all over the map in price. I made my own at my last house before my move here. And simply went down to an Art supplier, bought green poster board, and came back taped it up and voila, Green screen! Worked fine. Now I have two and intend on sewing them together, but just got them. 10'x20' @ $22 ea. They look fine too, and are sewn well.

So, while thinking of the potential for green coming back and tinting your peeps, you want to def keep them away as far as possible, which means a larger BG.

HTH~
    tom wise
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    juledur wrote: »

If you have the room, keep the subject several feet in front of the backdrop, both to prevent shadows on the backdrop that would complicate keying, but also, the farther the subject from the background, the less intense any green reflected light will be on the subject. Also they say to light the background as evenly as possible, because like shadows, variation in background tone can make it harder to isolate the background cleanly later on.

If you are the one doing the background replacement, and you later find a little green creeping in, you can use "decontaminate edge color" features in keying software to try and get rid of the color fringing.