Ring Flash

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited October 8, 2010 in People
OK... so I see a lot of buzz going around the net about ring flashes. All the ring flashes I've seen, mount right on the camera. Some attach to a hotshoe flash, others have their own light source. What I don't get is what value do they bring? I mean, everything I've read and learned tells you take the light off the camera. This is putting it back on. Is this just another gizmo to buy? :scratch
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    OK... so I see a lot of buzz going around the net about ring flashes. All the ring flashes I've seen, mount right on the camera. Some attach to a hotshoe flash, others have their own light source. What I don't get is what value do they bring? I mean, everything I've read and learned tells you take the light off the camera. This is putting it back on. Is this just another gizmo to buy? headscratch.gif

YES! it also brings a given look to the photo. Some peeps seem to like it~

Most of the photos I have seen ...though cool, also look like the person has a "certs" right on their iris or pupil! And of course, typically very flat.
    tom wise
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    My eldest daughter had a shoot done with one of these and it blew out her entire face....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    Ask Llywellyn about her wondrous ring-flash-fill technique. Amazing what it does for skintones + texture!
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Ask Llywellyn about her wondrous ring-flash-fill technique. Amazing what it does for skintones + texture!
    Will have to look into that
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    The idea is that the light source is essentially from every direction; hence no shadows.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Alex,
    it gives a very specific "shadowless" look. It's a very "niche" instrument, and is often abused. I've seen some very cool high fashion images with it, but, just like with HDR or selctive coloring, 99% percent of what you see is, to put it mildly, sub-par. ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Most of the photos I have seen ...though cool, also look like the person has a "certs" right on their iris or pupil!

So it's not the ringflash creating that "certs" look in the eyes -- it's the modifier.

Here's a ringflash around the lens shot:

101172034.jpg

And here's a shot with a beauty dish on a regular ol' monohead. Notice which one has the donuts/certs in the eyes.

101561640.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    The beauty dish is best used with a grid or a sock on it. Then there is no donut/certs look. The reason a ring flash (not the flash kind for macro or the Orbis for a flash/speedlight) looks the way it does is that it elminates the shadows.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    ChatKat wrote: »
    The beauty dish is best used with a grid or a sock on it. Then there is no donut/certs look. The reason a ring flash (not the flash kind for macro or the Orbis for a flash/speedlight) looks the way it does is that it elminates the shadows.

Wait, the orbis doesn't eliminate the shadows too??

3986332528_271dc9a4b2.jpg

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Light Quality
    There is a huge difference in the light quality from the Profoto Ring light and the Orbis. But there is also a huge price difference.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited October 7, 2010
    Dogwood, the lighting on both of those shots is just gorgeous - can you share your setup? I'm just gobsmacked by the combination of brightness, softness, and modelling shadows. bowdown.gif
    edited October 7, 2010
    dogwood wrote: »
    So it's not the ringflash creating that "certs" look in the eyes -- it's the modifier.

Here's a ringflash around the lens shot:

And here's a shot with a beauty dish on a regular ol' monohead. Notice which one has the donuts/certs in the eyes.
    Pete,
    do you mind posting a 100% crop of the eye(s) from the ringflash shot?
    I'm trying to understand how come the very hole through which the lens sees the image is not showing...headscratch.gif
    TIA!
    Nikolai
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Taking all this in... so far great stuff posted.

Does a ring flash like the Profoto one go around the lens like the Orbis?

My Smug Site
    edited October 7, 2010
    Well Nikolai (sort of) busted me. When I zoom in on the RF photo, turns out the donut catch light is there:

129209498.jpg

Below is the beauty dish close-up. I think the donut is more obvious in the non-cropped version because the beauty dish catch light is larger:

129209499.jpg

But... below is a close-up shot with a Rayflash -- a hotshoe powered ringflash. There are no donuts in the eyes. So it really is the size of the modifier that controls the catch light. The first photo in this post was shot with the PCB Zeus Ringmaster with the standard reflector/modifier which is significantly larger than the Rayflash:

129209517.jpg

@ divamum - for beauty shots, I'm fond of using two gridded strip domes as rimlights, a beauty dish for the key, a white reflector as fill, plus two lights on the background -- all shot in a room with white walls/ceiling to further bounce the light around (see photo below)

@ ChatKat - I disagree that "The beauty dish is best used with a grid or a sock on it." It's a matter of personal preference and there is no "best" way. The photos below look okay to me and they were shot with a beauty dish with no sock on it. In fact, Paul C. Buff now has a beauty dish that works in several different configurations -- with and without the sock, with and without the direct light blocker, etc. To quote from the instructions that came with that beauty dish, "As with any light modifier, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' use. It's up to the photographer to use the light and modifier as best suits his intended purpose."

129209501.jpg

edited October 7, 2010
    thumb.gif

I always forget about striplights when I'm trying to figure out somebody else's lighting.... probably because I've never used any (yet). I can only say again that the lighting in those shots seriously rocks my world. Thank you for explaining!
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Orbis closeup...

3912597200_9f7f80d649_z.jpg

EDIT: Just showing the catch lights...

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Was just looking at this the other day - don't remember how I found it -might have ipad "stumbled" to it

And you can easily make your own. “Constructing my DIY ring flash was quite simple,” Becker explains. “I found a used angel food cake pan with a hole large enough to accept my lens in the middle. Then, using tin snips, I cut a hole in its side for the flash head to poke through.” He lined that hole with duct tape until it fit snugly around the flash, pressed tin foil (reflective side out) along the inside of the cake pan, and finally taped wax paper over the front for diffusion.

web page is http://www.popphoto.com/features/how/2010/10/how-photograph-your-own-eye

can def. see it in the pupil but still interesting

Amanda
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Amanda,

I'm in the process of making a beauty dish with a few things I had in my garage. It is a proof of concept which I will then make with better materials if it works well. I should have it ready to take some test shots tomorrow. I will post results. Maybe I will try this ring flash next.

My Smug Site
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    The ring-flash-as-fill technique is something I stole from Strobist. I still have a key off camera, and I use the ring flash on camera for a smidge of fill. It lends something more 3-D, soft-yet-textured to the resulting image that I personally quite like. And my ring flash is DIY--a medium Tupperware bowl that came with one of those translucent lids. thumb.gif
  • ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    I like the tupperware diy better then the pan - much lighter sounding
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
    edited October 7, 2010
    OK... so I will finish my DIY B-E-A-UTY dish and then I will make a ring flash.

My Smug Site
    edited October 7, 2010
    Pete,
    thank you for clarifying, much appreciated! thumb.gif
    Nikolai
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    I dug up the post where I linked the tutorial and result for my DIY ringflash, in case it proves helpful. thumb.gif
    edited October 8, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote: »
    I dug up the post where I linked the tutorial and result for my DIY ringflash, in case it proves helpful. thumb.gif

Your link isn't working for me :cry

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    dogwood wrote: »
    Your link isn't working for me :cry
    Should be working now thumb.gif
    edited October 8, 2010
    So I finished painting my DIY beauty dish last night. Well... the prototype. Need to assemble it tonight. I'm making it from a 16" plastic terracotta-like plant bowl and a 6" drip tray. I will post some pics of it and some test shots as soon as I can take some. If this thing works well, I'm going to make the production model from a steel mixing bowl.

I already have some ideas on how to improve Kerry's DIY ring light a bit. That is next.

My Smug Site