Equipment Upgrade suggestions please

reynazackphotographyreynazackphotography Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited October 18, 2010 in Cameras
Hello,

I currently shoot with a Canon Rebel xsi with the standard kit lens. I really like both.
I have been shooting family, children, and baby portraits with them (mostly outdoors) and have had much success.

However, I need an upgrade.
I am going to be shooting newborn babies indoors (ie: in the hospital, just days after birth).

1. Can I just upgrade to a new lens or do I also need a new camera body? Which lens would you suggest? Which camera body (if necessary)?
2. I also need an external flash, so I'd like recommendations for that too.

Please keep in mind that I do not need the most FANCY lens/camera with all the bells and whistles. The portraiture is mainly what I do, so I don't need other unnecessary functions. I would say my budget is somewhere in the middle ground.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
Reyna

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited October 7, 2010
    Are you shooting "for" the hospital or are you shooting independently with individual contracts with the mothers?

What access will you have to the newborns?

What print sizes will you require?

Do you have a budget for the upgrade?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    I think getting a better low-light lens would yield the most improved results.
  • reynazackphotographyreynazackphotography Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    I'd be shooting as an independent contractor for a company that the hospital is signed with.

I will have the newborns artistically placed in a basket, swaddled in a blanket, in the mother's arms, etc.

Printing will be done through the company (not through me).

Budget is about $2,000.

Thanks for replying!!

ziggy53 wrote: »
    Are you shooting "for" the hospital or are you shooting independently with individual contracts with the mothers?

What access will you have to the newborns?

What print sizes will you require?

Do you have a budget for the upgrade?
    edited October 7, 2010
    Any specific lens suggestions? (with a canon rebel xsi)
    Thanks!
    I think getting a better low-light lens would yield the most improved results.
    edited October 7, 2010
    I'd be shooting as an independent contractor for a company that the hospital is signed with.

I will have the newborns artistically placed in a basket, swaddled in a blanket, in the mother's arms, etc.

Printing will be done through the company (not through me).

Budget is about $2,000.

Thanks for replying!!

Considering these things I think you are best working with your current camera and adding a new lens (or maybe 2 new lenses) and lighting.

Let's talk lighting first.

If you have to be portable, then several speedlites are about as portable as it gets. I suggest 1 - Canon 580EX/EX II with an external high-voltage power supply, to act as the key light (the external power supply just adds faster recycling and more pops), and then add a couple of additional speedlites for fill and background control. Either Canon 430EX/EX II or Sigma EF 530 DG Super lights might be considered, but I recommend the Sigma units because they can also act as master if needed for backup of the 580EX. (I suggest using a Sigma flash on the camera to act as wireless master and fill, with the 580EX as slaved key light and also a Sigma flash for slaved background light.)

If you have the luxury of working in a singular space then try to choose a room with white walls and white ceiling. This gives you the greatest options for bounce/reflected light. You will also need several suitable light stands and umbrella brackets, as well as a couple of convertible umbrellas and a snoot and/or grid for the background light. A portable background kit would be nice for shots that include both mother and/or father and child/children.

If you have a dedicated shooting space then studio monolights might be considered. They would allow greater power output with faster recycling. They also plug into the line voltage outlets to allow continuous shooting without concern for batteries going flat.

For potential lenses I suggest at least one good standard zoom. The Tamron 17-50mm, F/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP ZL Aspherical (IF) is pretty economical and good enough quality for professional results. A better choice is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM, but that will use half your budget.

For close-focus shooting you might also need a true macro lens, so I suggest the Tamron 90mm, f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro as fairly inexpensive choice. 90mm is also a pretty good intimate portrait lens of mother and child, if you have enough space. (Otherwise try to use the long end of the standard zoom.)

Those 2 lenses, a standard zoom and a true macro, should cover many of the typical shooting opportunities I think you will encounter. I think that will pretty well chew through your budget too. :D
    ziggy53
    edited October 7, 2010
    Thanks again for your reply. Very helpful!!
    A few questions: (please bear with me...)
    Regarding the lighting, I will have to be extremely portable, because I will be going from room to room. I will not have the luxury or time to set anything up except for the baby. (it is a very quick photo shoot, about 20 minutes)
    You suggested the 580EX in addition to the Sigma 530? How do these two work together?
    (I suggest using a Sigma flash on the camera to act as wireless master and fill, with the 580EX as slaved key light and also a Sigma flash for slaved background light.) Maybe you could explain this a bit further for me? Thanks!
    I love your lens suggestions -- I'm searching now for great deals!

Thanks again and again!
    Reyna

Considering these things I think you are best working with your current camera and adding a new lens (or maybe 2 new lenses) and lighting.

Let's talk lighting first.

If you have to be portable, then several speedlites are about as portable as it gets. I suggest 1 - Canon 580EX/EX II with an external high-voltage power supply, to act as the key light (the external power supply just adds faster recycling and more pops), and then add a couple of additional speedlites for fill and background control. Either Canon 430EX/EX II or Sigma EF 530 DG Super lights might be considered, but I recommend the Sigma units because they can also act as master if needed for backup of the 580EX. (I suggest using a Sigma flash on the camera to act as wireless master and fill, with the 580EX as slaved key light and also a Sigma flash for slaved background light.)

If you have the luxury of working in a singular space then try to choose a room with white walls and white ceiling. This gives you the greatest options for bounce/reflected light. You will also need several suitable light stands and umbrella brackets, as well as a couple of convertible umbrellas and a snoot and/or grid for the background light. A portable background kit would be nice for shots that include both mother and/or father and child/children.

If you have a dedicated shooting space then studio monolights might be considered. They would allow greater power output with faster recycling. They also plug into the line voltage outlets to allow continuous shooting without concern for batteries going flat.

For potential lenses I suggest at least one good standard zoom. The Tamron 17-50mm, F/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP ZL Aspherical (IF) is pretty economical and good enough quality for professional results. A better choice is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM, but that will use half your budget.

For close-focus shooting you might also need a true macro lens, so I suggest the Tamron 90mm, f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro as fairly inexpensive choice. 90mm is also a pretty good intimate portrait lens of mother and child, if you have enough space. (Otherwise try to use the long end of the standard zoom.)

Those 2 lenses, a standard zoom and a true macro, should cover many of the typical shooting opportunities I think you will encounter. I think that will pretty well chew through your budget too. :D
    edited October 7, 2010
    Rats, the "room to room" sessions are the pits. You're right, there's almost no time for setup.

In that case I suggest a setup along the lines of what is required for wedding and event photography. One or two flashes and trying to use bounce when possible. If the rooms are painted anything other than white/gray then wall bounce is out, leaving ceiling bounce only. If you do use bounce there's a good chance the walls will still color or "poison" the light that bounces off the walls.

For a single light you can use a flash bracket and off-camera cord to move the light up and place the shadows behind the subject. A flash diffuser is a very good idea and I recommend the DIY "light scoop" as a very effective and inexpensive possibility.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

If you want to use 2 flashes, the master/fill light can be on the camera as described previously. The key light can be mounted on a pole and triggered as the slave. I still recommend the above scoop modifier to soften the light and subsequent shadows.

Canon wireless flash control, the master/slave relationship that I reference, is described pretty well on the following pages:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2891

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2966

http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/tutorials/74480-tutorial-wireless-flash-canon.html

http://super.nova.org/DPR/Canon/MultiCanon/

While the Canon 550EX, 580EX and 580EX II flashes will all work as a master/controller, so will the Sigma EF 530 DG Super flash. The Sigma flash is not quite as easy to use, but I have 4 Sigma 5xx DG Super flashes and they really do work well.
    ziggy53
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    I would also strongly recommend shooting RAW and having your last (or first) shot of each session be a digital calibration target so you'll have a good neutral off which you can correct your white balance, which is almost guaranteed to be weird, using bounced flash off hospital walls.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    I agree with the advice already given - some great thoughts. I would get the 17-55 f2.8 lens. It is EXTREMELY sharp and will give you excellent results. It will also give you better isolation than your previous lens because of the constant f2.8 aperture. Combine that with bouncing 1-2 flashes and I think you will be set. If you have to be really fast, just bouncing one flash may do the job very well for you.

I would definitely buy this book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1584282304/giftfella-20
    It is very affordable and gives fabulous insight into how to do quick professional-quality lighting with 1-2 hotshoe flashes. It will really open your eyes to how professional you can make your images look with a simple setup. It frankly changed the way I do location photography. I use to carry full strobe lighting setups until I read this. I now do on-location shooting almost entirely using setups discussed in the book.

So, those are my suggestions - the 17-55 f2.8, 1-2 flashes, and pick up that book. You will do very well.
    edited October 8, 2010
    Thank you to everyone for all the valuable information! I'm going to do more research on what you all said and if I have more questions, I'll certainly post again!
    Again, I appreciate all the help!!
    :)
    Reyna
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    With a budget of $2k? That's a fair bit of spending money if you're keeping the xsi body (which is a great body - I have kept mine as my backup camera even though I now have a 7d).

~$1000 for the 17-55is
    ~$400 for a 50 1.4 (or ~$500 for a Sigma 50mm 1.4 which is slightly better at maximum aperture)
    ~$400 for a flash.

If you're going to upgrade the body to (for instance) a 60d or 7d, then a flash and the 17-55is (or Tamron 17-50 II, which has their version of IS).

I can spend other people's money beautifully. :)

For some great ideas on how to get fantastic results using bounced flash in the hotshoe, check out www.planetneil.com. Terrific stuff.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    Hello,

I currently shoot with a Canon Rebel xsi with the standard kit lens. I really like both.
    I have been shooting family, children, and baby portraits with them (mostly outdoors) and have had much success.

However, I need an upgrade.
    I am going to be shooting newborn babies indoors (ie: in the hospital, just days after birth).

1. Can I just upgrade to a new lens or do I also need a new camera body? Which lens would you suggest? Which camera body (if necessary)?
    2. I also need an external flash, so I'd like recommendations for that too.

Please keep in mind that I do not need the most FANCY lens/camera with all the bells and whistles. The portraiture is mainly what I do, so I don't need other unnecessary functions. I would say my budget is somewhere in the middle ground.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
    Reyna

you've done very well with the XSi and kit lens!
    I was going to say upgrade the lens and lighting but if portraiture is your main thing and you have $2000 why not go full frame with a used Canon 5D ($900), 50mm 1.8 and maybe one other lens and lighting equipment like a softbox, ebay triggers, stand, Yongnuo flash, etc.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    I would not want to leave a trail of crying babies and upset mothers behind me so I would go easy on the flash. Probably I would try a tripod and a fast lens that is forgiving on DOF and with a remote control for shooting. If need be I could then get close and personal with the baby and get some nice facial impressions. Icebear gives good advice on RAW and color calibration; there is usually lots of light in a hospital albeit of the cold variety. I don't know what lenses you have now but the f2.8 17-55 would be a good tool. Richy's idea for the 35 1.4 is interesting but I would worry about the DOF and possible exaggeration of facial features although it would be great for no-flash photography. I never used it myself and it is a lot of money to invest on a chance. A hot-shoe flash just in case would be nice, should you do not have one already.
    edited October 12, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. It's fun to help people spend their money, isn't it? :)
    The company that I'm going to be shooting for wants me to upgrade the body too. (I'll keep my xsi for a while as a backup unless I'm not using it.) They require at least a 30d. I was thinking of going for the 40d. Thoughts?
    Keeping in mind, I mainly do outdoor portraiture, headshots, and some indoor events, as well as the hospital newborn photos. I need to be very mobile.

Thanks!

divamum wrote: »
    With a budget of $2k? That's a fair bit of spending money if you're keeping the xsi body (which is a great body - I have kept mine as my backup camera even though I now have a 7d).

~$1000 for the 17-55is
    ~$400 for a 50 1.4 (or ~$500 for a Sigma 50mm 1.4 which is slightly better at maximum aperture)
    ~$400 for a flash.

If you're going to upgrade the body to (for instance) a 60d or 7d, then a flash and the 17-55is (or Tamron 17-50 II, which has their version of IS).

I can spend other people's money beautifully. :)

For some great ideas on how to get fantastic results using bounced flash in the hotshoe, check out www.planetneil.com. Terrific stuff.
    edited October 12, 2010
    ... They require at least a 30d. I was thinking of going for the 40d. Thoughts?
    Keeping in mind, I mainly do outdoor portraiture, headshots, and some indoor events, as well as the hospital newborn photos. I need to be very mobile.

I use a 40D for candids at weddings/events. I love it and the EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM together. I also use either a Canon 580EX or a Sigma EF 530 DG Super flash with that camera and lens, mostly with a "scoop" flash modifier.
    ziggy53
    edited October 12, 2010
    Thanks Ziggy, you're so helpful! :)
    I use a 40D for candids at weddings/events. I love it and the EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM together. I also use either a Canon 580EX or a Sigma EF 530 DG Super flash with that camera and lens, mostly with a "scoop" flash modifier.
    edited October 13, 2010
    OK - another question... any recommendations where to buy? I'm not opposed to buying used. In fact, I'd love to save some money that way!
    edited October 13, 2010
    http://www.keh.com/
    http://www.adorama.com/
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

KEH is mostly used equipment, but they sell some new equipment as well. Adorama and B&H both have a used department. Each of these has a grading system and each is fairly accurate regarding condition, with KEH tending towards a more conservative grading. (In-other-words KEH is more than fair in their grading in my experience.) KEH is also the easiest to return/exchange, but all of these folks are great about returns and exchanges.

EBay can be useful if you are diligent and cautious (but there is a definite level of risk) and a local "Craig's List" can be OK if you take your own lenses and computer to test the camera. Both of these are more "buyer beware" and returns/exchanges are not generally part of the deal.
    ziggy53
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    KEH is awesome for used gear, I'll continue to use them without any worries.

Also if your going to be using multiple flash units I suggest checking out the Strobist site.

One more thing to consider is maybe picking up a X-Rite Color Checker Passport. I have yet to pick one up but from what I've seen it seems to be the best $100 anyone could spend on photography.

Here's a YouTube video showing how easy it is to use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42gmmfHAhck&feature=related

Best of luck.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    I'll second Brett and say the 5D Mark I sounds perfect for you.
    Adorama has a great used selection and great service. I've bought Condition V items from them before and been very happy with themwings.gif
  • HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    I'll second Brett and say the 5D Mark I sounds perfect for you.
    Adorama has a great used selection and great service. I've bought Condition V items from them before and been very happy with themwings.gif

Good to hear - thanks for the feedback on the Adorama used department; I'll be sure to pass it on to them.
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com