How to get started in working with models?

George07748George07748 Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited October 16, 2010 in People
OK, so I would classify myself as an advanced amateur, I've most of my gear in place, and I've recently invested in lightstands, umbrellas, etc. So far I've been practicing on family, etc., but I realize that patience with Dad's hobby is wearing thin.

So I'm thinking maybe it's time to hire a model - at first so I can practice lighting settings, posing, etc., but then also to start building a sort of portfolio. I'm not looking for America's Top Model, but rather someone who might have a vested enough interest to be patient with me. I've done enougth to believe that my pictures won't all be crap, but obviously I want to improve.

So I'm wondering if you folks could share what your next step was when you got to this stage? How do you get more people to photograph while learning?

If the answer is to hire a model, what should I aim for pricewise?

Thanks!

Comments

• tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    OK, so I would classify myself as an advanced amateur, I've most of my gear in place, and I've recently invested in lightstands, umbrellas, etc. So far I've been practicing on family, etc., but I realize that patience with Dad's hobby is wearing thin.

So I'm thinking maybe it's time to hire a model - at first so I can practice lighting settings, posing, etc., but then also to start building a sort of portfolio. I'm not looking for America's Top Model, but rather someone who might have a vested enough interest to be patient with me. I've done enougth to believe that my pictures won't all be crap, but obviously I want to improve.

So I'm wondering if you folks could share what your next step was when you got to this stage? How do you get more people to photograph while learning?

Thanks!

I am not a professional, but I am working my way up like you are.

I have been shooting friends and family. My best friends daugther is 18, so I asked her to model for me, and it worked out perfectly.
    Next time I invited her boyfriend to join too. They love it and think it is a lot of fun to be "models", and I get my portfolio shots!

I have also invited people for free shooting, and a lot of people volenteered.
    I have build a portfolio now, and people are actually asking me to take their photos for money! thumb.gif

So I am finally starting to earn some money! Feels great!
    Often people I shoot have friends or family that see the photos, and then they also want to hire me! ;)
    And the word is spreading!
    http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
    Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    Manikin head. Super cheap online and they aren't fussy like human models :D

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • George07748George07748 Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    Oh wow... a model with no whining. That could be useful. ;)
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    Hobos.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    I think Monica's approach is a good one. That's pretty much how it has worked out for me too. I gave away portraits (image files) in exchange for modeling gigs so that I can practice my craft.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • BuddyLeeBuddyLee Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    Hobos.

That made me laugh.wings.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    I've done the same as Monica, offering shots to friends if they'll let me practice.

When all else fails, I use myself (Ii'm the only model I know who is ALWAYS available when I want to practice lighting techniques rolleyes1.gif) and have even resorted to my daughter's American Girl dolls when absolutely necessary.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    Model Mayhem is a great source for local models and you pay them with pictures.
    I use it all the time.
    As in all walks of life there are all kinds of people on there, some are flaky, but I have met some really cool people there.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    BuddyLee wrote: »
    That made me laugh.wings.gif

And cuss a bit while laughing!:D
    tom wise
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010

Thanks!

I did that! S n o r e !~ ~ ~ ~

What I found best was to offer anyone and everyone I wanted to shoot, a freebie. My Son and I called it, operation GDP, Get the Damn Photo! My plan was for it to last two years...it didn't take that long!

Why? I needed mucho-practice, and mucho-photos to use for my portfolio. I thought it worked quite well~
    tom wise
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    Also, try www.modelmayhem.com... There are lots of people on there looking to further THEIR portfolio as well. A win win for both of you ;-)
    Canon Fan
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    Also, try www.modelmayhem.com... There are lots of people on there looking to further THEIR portfolio as well. A win win for both of you ;-)
    TFP/TFCD lol. Forgot about that completely. (and my brother is a model! lol)

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    Over 30 years ago I ran small ads in the newspaper classifieds......special....so many photos for free for 1st so many people,
    granted I did not get the high dollar clients, but I got practice and and they got an 8x10 or 8x10 and some smaller sizes, usually billfolds.

I have also done TFP (time for photo ) and TFCD (time for cd) , now those images are limited to 4x5 inches...so proofs......and a text file
    giving special prices from a specified date to specified date.......now with the availabilty of sites like SmugMug......I can give prices at the
    website and it is much easier, especially if you price your product correctly and just give out a coupon for the discount with expiry date......

For me the TFP / TFCD has worked well.........now with the cost of print advertising getting too high, I have gotten tfp / tfcd off Craig's list......on thes
    free shoots I let them know that the shoot could last more than 2 hours as I will be testing lighting configs and such ...it is not a go to wally world sit on
    bench and flash away for 10 minutes ......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• George07748George07748 Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    Thanks everyone!

Before I head down the Model Mayhem road, I think I may just try offering freebies to facebook friends in my area. I may look for more formal models later, but I'd like to walk before I run so to speak.
  • kittienkittien Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 13, 2010
    I'm doing the same thing! I have just been asking my friends (check out some of my model work - facebook.com/akaphotography); not a single one of these wonderful models is an actual model. Working with non-models is also a good way of practicing directing people in front of the camera and developing an eye for what you want. I have a few shoots scheduled with some MM'ers so I'll let you know how it goes. =D
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    The mannequin thing sounds fitting for you right now. I too have one and her name is Kathrynn [with 2 n's!!]. lol!

GREATLY helpful little tool that lets you get acquainted with different lighting styles and set-ups.
    I've got some experience w/ MM [limited] and I must say, I have been fairly impressed with most of the respondents.

Meet, Kathrynn.

1024.jpg?md=1287037189000
  • banditbandit Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    i am just starting off aswell.
    started shooting my own children and they loved it ages are 7 months. 3years.5 years and 12 years old so quite a good range.
    friends saw the pics online and asked me to shoot their kids which i did for free then it went wild as hell their friends and friends of them are all getting in touch now all paying of course.
    been asked to do promo work for a gym. shooting an army and police strategic mission training day (uploading soon) cd cover for a local rapper who is featured on mtv and signed with alot of labels.

its hard keeping up as well as trying to manage a full time job
    Just a normal guy who see's eveything as one big picture (just wish my memory card was big enough lol)
  • FozzyBearFozzyBear Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 14, 2010
    I will second model mayhem as well as I have been using it on a regular basis with mostly good results (yes there is the occasional flake). I have also used some local photography clubs that sponsor group shoots, these are useful because it gives you access to places you may not normally be able to get access. The folks at these types of events usually vary in skill and experience level and usually are friendly and willing to help on the spot!

The website that I used to find about a dozen photography/fashion/modeling groups in my area was www.meetup.com
  • kensingtonkensington Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2010
    In addition to Model Mayhem (which I have yet to use but have heard very good things) I have had luck with local flickr/strobist meets pooling money for a model shoot and have seen similar meets (but again, not yet attended) organized by local meetup.com groups.