Death Valley Question

DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited October 9, 2010 in Landscapes
So I always see these wonderful photos taken in Death Valley, but I have never been/camped there. Is there a campsite there thats close to all the usual photography sites? I see a bunch of campsites like furnace creek and stovepipe, but having never been there these are just names to me.

What spots are best for photography trips, and how far are the usual "spots" from said campsites?

Thanks so much.
-=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    There's camping at both Stovepipe Wells and Furnace Creek. Either is close to lots of stuff. Pick & choose, you'll be driving to/from both anyhow, IMO. Everything is typically 30-40mins max. Some stuff is 5-15mins away, depending on which site you choose. Plan on 3 days at least, you'll want it. Food is much better at Furnace Creek.
  • DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    I'm a roughin it camper, so food isnt really an issue, because I'll bring my own. What are the usual "spots" by name? I always see dune shots, and mountain shots, etc.

It's just weird that I've never gone here, since I grew up in CA...but my preferred camping has always been forest type grounds, never was a fan of desert, but the sites seem too good to pass up.
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
  • yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    The usual spots?
    For starters - Mosaic Canyon, Golden Canyon, Zabriskie Point, Mesquite Dunes, Badwater, Artist Drive, Devils Golf Course, just to name some in reasonably close proximity to Stovepipe Wells and Furnace Creek.

If you have the time and can go fiurther away, there is Scotty's Castle, Ubehebe Crater and Darwin Canyon. You should look at a map of DV and decide how much you want to see, because it is a huge park!
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    and all these places are close enough to hike to? or at least drive up closer to?
    -=Ren B.=-

• dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    Dionysus wrote: »
    and all these places are close enough to hike to? or at least drive up closer to?

Look for them on the map in:

http://www.nps.gov/deva/parknews/upload/Visitor%20Guide%202008.pdf

With your rig you could also consider Mesquite Springs Campground to the north and Panamint Springs Resort (private) campground to the far west. Wildrose Campground to the west will put you up near snow if it has fallen by your arrival. These are pavement accessed. A long dirt road in the north end of the valley leads to Racetrack Valley with limited primitive camping. A very special place is the primitive campground at Eureka Dunes, This too, is on a long dirt (Big Pine) road and you should call the rangers for road conditions ahead of time if you want to try them. Panamint Springs and Eureka Dunes are in areas 'recently' annexed into the national park.

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    http://www.dbdimages.com/Death-Valley/DeathValleyPanoramas/1491201_giFzu#97352104_E7KKN
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies